What is worship?

Just wondering how any of you would define worship?
The usual Greek word is προσκυνέω which has an essential meaning of prostrate oneself:
  1. To kiss the hand to (towards) one, in token of reverence
  2. among the Orientals, esp. the Persians, to fall upon the knees and touch the ground with the forehead as an expression of profound reverence
  3. in the NT by kneeling or prostration to do homage (to one) or make obeisance, whether in order to express respect or to make supplication, used of homage shown to men and beings of superior rank
    1. to the Jewish high priests
    2. to God
    3. to Christ
    4. to heavenly beings
    5. to demons
But in addition, the bible has the concept of "spiritual service" denotes by λατρεία, which means any service for God, frequently used of the Jews re service in the temple, but as to Christians, Rom 12:1 "I appeal to you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship."

It certainly is not the vain lip service that the hypocrites of denominational weekend religion do for one hour a week.

James 1:27 is true Christian worship. To be untainted by the world and have compassion on the afflicted. But churchianity is all about lip service and vain, utterly worthless rituals, lorded over by hirelings.

Not all rituals are worthless are they? In Leviticus God gave Moses lots of rituals when it comes to the worship of God.
We aren’t under the old covenant, we are under the new covenant.

Even in the OT God was not pleased with ritualistic religion.

Isaiah 1
13 Bring no more vain oblations; incense is an abomination unto me; the new moons and sabbaths, the calling of assemblies, I cannot away with; it is iniquity, even the solemn meeting.

14 Your new moons and your appointed feasts my soul hateth: they are a trouble unto me; I am weary to bear them.

15 And when ye spread forth your hands, I will hide mine eyes from you: yea, when ye make many prayers, I will not hear: your hands are full of blood.

16 Wash you, make you clean; put away the evil of your doings from before mine eyes; cease to do evil;

17 Learn to do well; seek judgment, relieve the oppressed, judge the fatherless, plead for the widow.

Amos 5
21 I hate, I despise your feast days, and I will not smell in your solemn assemblies.

22 Though ye offer me burnt offerings and your meat offerings, I will not accept them: neither will I regard the peace offerings of your fat beasts.

23 Take thou away from me the noise of thy songs; for I will not hear the melody of thy viols.

24 But let judgment run down as waters, and righteousness as a mighty stream.

25 Have ye offered unto me sacrifices and offerings in the wilderness forty years, O house of Israel?

26 But ye have borne the tabernacle of your Moloch and Chiun your images, the star of your god, which ye made to yourselves.

The last part of that last verse is interesting because some religious buildings in modern churchianity fly a star flag outside of their religious building.

Yea, ye took up the tabernacle of Moloch, and the star of your god Remphan, figures which ye made to worship them: and I will carry you away beyond Babylon.
Acts 7:43

Back