What Is Wrong With the Church of Christ?

SteveB

Praise God, He still works supernaturally as well as providentially. It may not be in every "Pentecostal" church in every city but God still works supernaturally today.
I've only been to a "Pentecostal" church once. And it was a bit too much for me. I'm a "calvary chapel" person.
The shooting took place in July 1978, and a few weeks later, I'd attended a Saturday night Jesus concert. Afterwards the preacher invited everyone who wanted to be healed to come forward for prayer.
I did. And so did a couple of hundred or so others.
It essentially had the appearance of a large crowd of people, in front of the stage at the church, all laying hands on each other, and the preacher praying for us, as we all prayed in agreement

I didn't even know I'd been healed until two days later, at the doctor's office. The doctor was the surgeon who operated on my throat, removing the bullet, and stapling my esophagus/trachea shut.
I didn't "feel" anything special. I prayed, and on Monday, I returned to the doctor's office, and upon looking in my throat, he exclaimed that a miracle had taken place. When I asked what he meant, he reitereated what we'd talked about the Friday prior, and the damage to my throat, from the bullet, the danger of my eating the wrong kinds of foods, etc.... and then told me--- now it doesn't even look like a bullet ever went through there. Your throat looks brand new.

It was then that I told him what happened Saturday night.
With of course the typical 18 yr old excitement--- wow. Cool! I guess God really healed me then. that's awesome!
To which the doctor asked what I meant. I explained what happened, and his response was----
Well, I don't know about all that, but this is definitely a miracle.

So... yes. God does still work, just like he did in the days of the bible. :cool:

SteveB

Thank you brother I will. Looking forward to hearing more from you. I was somewhat joking about how much better it was to be baptized in Israel since it has an element of truth (historically...from that point of view it could described as better) but the substance, what makes it real, is Jesus Christ and our FAITH in Christ when we are baptized.
:cool:
Believe me, at 19, I was ecstatic about being able to say--- I was baptized in the Jordan..... And yes, while I didn't see it at the time, it really was an ego thing, something to use as a "name-dropper" to bolster some credibility at the time.

I can relate to a supernatural work of God in my life when He cleared my mind up from depression (deep despair). I'd say this was more of a healing. And that is after Desert Storm, where I served in the Army in Saudi Arabia and Iraq for 6 months, later after that time I was depressed and my thinking was not clear, not focused at all.
View attachment 1170

thank you for your service!

God is in the business of restoring humans to wholeness.... our thinking too.
Please read Isaiah 26:3-4, 54:13, Philippians 4:6-9, Romans 8:3-8, Galatians 5:22-23, and Romans 12:1-2.

He'll keep doing it too.

OK, it's a long story it's not like this "just happened immediately." I mean the whole mental depression thing. And much of it was my fault since I backslide and sin has its consequences. And so does repentance. And with repentance came a time of refreshing just like Peter said in Acts 3:19,20 "Repent therefore, and turn back, that your sins may be blotted out, that times of refreshing may come from the presence of the Lord,"
I've found it's easy to get ourselves lost. Please read 2 Peter 1:2-13. Take a look at verse 9 to see what the problem is..... We forget, get short-sighted, focus on the wrong things.... Keep reading this passage. I've been astonished at what's contained in it.
Also, please take a look at Titus 2:11-14, and Ezekiel 36:25-27.

Well that same principle worked for me. And when you are down to the point of wondering if you reached the point of no return, and God clears up your mind, your thinking, and delivers you from smoking you can't help but to get excited.
Yep.... the prodigal son underwent this transition--- he came to his senses, and realized--- what am I doing? My dad's servants are treated better than I am.
You're not alone in this. We've all been through it to one degree or another. There is a way back to Jesus.

This was a few years before Calvary Chapel but about 5 years after I left Churches of Christ and a Charismatic church. I know, whatta combination. Both churches were independent, autonomous, believed the Scripture, ect......and both had a certain level of spiritual abuse. I was with Crossroads COC (not the mainline COC this one had more spiritual abuse and God led me out of it), Crossroads Movement, the International Churches of Christ before they were called that. This is when they were operating within the Churches of Christ. For that matter Crossroads was a Church of Christ and when Boston Church restructured Crossroads didn't want to have anything to do with it. That's another story altogether.
Are you presently engaged in a Calvary Chapel fellowship?
My experience with CC is as varied as other church experiences. It's taken me a long time to learn that if I'm going to follow Jesus, it's Jesus I need to follow. I sure didn't become a christian because I liked christians, or church. I came to Jesus explicitly because of Jesus himself. that said, I found it a little too easy to get si

When I repented on God's terms and not just praying "Lord forgive me" and continued doing the same things God cleared my thinking. Now the way I looked at it is DAY TO DAY. As Jesus put it, "each day has enough troubles of its own" when He taught us to seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness.
That is, each day I'm going to begin my days in prayer and in the Word until I can tell my spirit has been well fed to start each day. At that time I was still thinking it's up to me to sustain myself spiritually. Well I play a role, by submitting to God, but GOD is the One who sustains me, not myself. But over all I knew I was going to begin each day in fellowship with God. For the first time in almost several years I was being consistent. Knowing this made all the difference. This was in October/November 1994, and in 1995 I grew more just like I did when I was a young Christian.

Yeah, repentance is always on God's terms, or it's not repentance.
And daily reading/prayer is a necessity.

Now at the church, The Rock, they were all focused on what the pastor was teaching....based more on his own revelation in the Word than the scriptures themselves. Eventually I had enough of this. By the time of Feb 1997 I asked God in prayer, almost challenging God in prayer while asking that I could ask in such a manner, "what church is there that believes in the power of the Holy Spirit for today, the gifts of the Holy Spirit, but not so much charismaniacal, AND teaches the Scriptures expositionally book by book in context in a series of messages." I prayed about that. I was angry. Looking back I could have gone to a few Baptist churches but back then I viewed them as denominational and it wasn't going to happen. Anyway, when I finished praying a commercial came over 97.7 Clear Rock radio station and it was pastor Ted saying, "at Calvary Chapel we teach the Bible expositionally, book by book in context so you can have the whole counsel of God." That type of thing. God immediately answered my prayer. I was driving home from work and I got off late, around 10:30 pm so I called Ted the next day. As soon as I met him I knew he could relate to what I was going through and what I was looking for since he was a brother in Christ who knew the Word of God and not just in head knowledge. Amazing how that works. Fellowship with a brother is immediate. Until that time I never heard of Calvary Chapel.

Keep following Jesus.
I read daily. Aside from weekly teachings at church, and radio or podcast instruction, I read through the bible, at least one chapter a day.
Numbers-wise, there are 1189 chapters inthe bible. This means that it'd take 1189 days to read one chapter a day. That works out to just over 3-1/4 years.
Or..... if you want to do it in a year, it's 3-1/4 chapters a day.

I've been reading one to 3 chapters a day for a long time. I start in Genesis, work through revelation, and go back to the beginning. A few years ago I skipped Psalms to Song of Solomon (SoS), and read all the way through to Malachi, and went back to Genesis. I got to Psalms, and read through it, and proverbs, eccles. and SoS. I continued through to Malachi, and returned to the beginning. I'd spent so long focusing on the new testament, I wanted to get a really good understanding of the old. So..... I'd spent at least 3-4 times through focusing on JUST the old. It's been really nice.

Last year at some point I was listening to a radio teacher, and he mentioned reading each book of the bible 6 times in a row. Yes, it'd take longer, but you'd become really familiar with the bible, one book at a time.
As I've been reading the bible over and over again for a long time now, I decided what the hey.... I got through one of the books once, started the second time,.... and said--- uh-uh! Ain't gonna happen!
I finished reading the bible back in the late summer, got to the Book of Revelation, finished that, and said-- why not. the worst that could happen is I stop, and just move on to Genesis.
I read Revelation 6 times. By the 5th time, I began seeing things I hadn't recognized before. As I use a bible app on my phone, and that app has a note taking tool, I began making notes beyond my normal stuff....
I am now almost finished with my 6th time through Genesis, and will go into Exodus next. That too I'll do 6 times.
Now, keep in mind, I've been at this for a really long time. Decades.
It's been interesting, and I'm looking forward to continuing on.

One thing I will emphasize here...... do not get in a rush to make it through. Just move methodically along, and you'll be fine. God's not in a hurry for you to run through to get it all.

Chuck Smith used to read through every Sunday evening, 5 chapters, each week. He'd just read it. Nothing fancy, an occasional comment about some point he felt was important, and just continued reading. It took him 5 years.

If you make a regular habit of daily reading, you'll be astonished after a while what it'll do for you.

And don't quit. if you miss a day, no worries, just pick up where you left off, and continue on.
For me, I work a regular 8am to 5 pm shift, so I read while I'm eating my breakfast. I spend a few minutes each morning/evening praying, and I read while I'm eating my food.

CharismaticLady

You're welcome.

I just realized that I missed something.....
At the time they told me they would not pray with me, I'd previously (probably about 9 months before-- give or take a couple of weeks) been baptized "in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit" as stated by Jesus, in Matthew 28:18-20.
We actually got in a discussion about it, with me stating--- But Jesus said that's how we're to be baptized. They said it didn't matter, Peter said Acts 2:38's statement.
I think that's what the final straw for me was. It wasn't good enough for me to be obedient to Jesus. I had to instead be obedient to Peter.

I was in the Church of Christ for one year from 70 - 71 at 23-24 years of age. Up until then I had been raised a Seventh-day Adventist and really knew only the LAW. In an all night debate with Ray Walker of the Jordanaires, a staunch member of the Church of Christ, finally around 4 am it was like a light bulb went on. I finally saw that grace replaced the Law. But later that year I learned that the gifts didn't cease as I was taught in both denominations, so I left and started seeking the baptism of the Holy Spirit. Finally received a double dose in 1977, and have been walking in the Spirit with gifts following ever since for 44 years.

Kade Rystalmane

I was in the Church of Christ for one year from 70 - 71 at 23-24 years of age. Up until then I had been raised a Seventh-day Adventist and really knew only the LAW. In an all night debate with Ray Walker of the Jordanaires, a staunch member of the Church of Christ, finally around 4 am it was like a light bulb went on. I finally saw that grace replaced the Law. But later that year I learned that the gifts didn't cease as I was taught in both denominations, so I left and started seeking the baptism of the Holy Spirit. Finally received a double dose in 1977, and have been walking in the Spirit with gifts following ever since for 44 years.
One cannot argue with personal experience. I am glad that you saw that grace replaced the law.

Our Lord's God

This folder was empty so I thought I'd put something in it. What is the Church of Christ and what do they believe that is sinful?

It's a cult because the people at my church said so and their CofC) beliefs are not the same as ours so they are sinful.

Well...... that's the truth of it for most out there......... but they'll never admit it. In short, you will normally be dealing with idiots on the matter.

Thistle

They hold that one must be water baptized by immersion in order to complete and have salvation, that adds works to grace!
You misunderstand what Paul means in these key passages about grace. Paul is contrasting two paths to salvation. One path says keep all the laws of God which apply to you, and you will go to heaven. And as long as you can actually do that, that would work just fine. But Paul also advises us in Romans 3:23 that no one has managed to do that. The other path to salvation is excepting the free gift of grace. A free gift does not mean it's not a conditional promise. And salvation has more than one condition. Baptism is the final condition. In Paul's manner of speaking on the subject, baptism is not a work. "Work" in Paul's manner of speaking, is that first method of getting to heaven, which is to keep all of the laws that apply to you perfectly, perpetually, and cumulatively, from the first breath that you take until the last. So no, in Colossians 2:12 when Paul makes it perfectly clear that the moment of salvation is in baptism, he's not adding a work to salvation.

YeshuaFan

You misunderstand what Paul means in these key passages about grace. Paul is contrasting two paths to salvation. One path says keep all the laws of God which apply to you, and you will go to heaven. And as long as you can actually do that, that would work just fine. But Paul also advises us in Romans 3:23 that no one has managed to do that. The other path to salvation is excepting the free gift of grace. A free gift does not mean it's not a conditional promise. And salvation has more than one condition. Baptism is the final condition. In Paul's manner of speaking on the subject, baptism is not a work. "Work" in Paul's manner of speaking, is that first method of getting to heaven, which is to keep all of the laws that apply to you perfectly, perpetually, and cumulatively, from the first breath that you take until the last. So no, in Colossians 2:12 when Paul makes it perfectly clear that the moment of salvation is in baptism, he's not adding a work to salvation.
Water Baptism is applied towards those who have already been saved and justified by Cross of Christ