What Is Wrong With the Church of Christ?

C

Chuckz

inertia

My experience from 41-1/2 years ago was that they would not pray with me because I had not been baptized "in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins." Acts 2:38.

Beyond that, they were generally pleasant people to hang out with.

I then tried going to a college which was affiliated with the church of Christ.

They essentially sent me packing because I had been attending Calvary Chapel Costa Mesa, with Chuck Smith.

Apparently the college people don't believe that the gifts of the Holy Spirit are in action today (well, in 1979-81).

It was an interesting experience. I pretty much just walked away from them and continued my affiliation with Calvary chapel.
After all, I'd been miraculously healed from a gunshot wound to my throat and the doctor who had done the surgery, and follow up had testified to it, adding that he was not a believer in God.

I found it quite hard to take them seriously after that.

So....
I suppose that is all I can think about this issue.
Wow! Thanks for that testimony.

SteveB

Wow! Thanks for that testimony.
You're welcome.
I didn't like getting shot, but I was blown away that God would actually heal my throat.....
the doctor told me---
Wow. that's a miracle.
I asked what he was talking about, and he told me---
I'd warned you on Friday about the danger associated with eating certain foods, but now it doesn't even look like a bullet ever went through there.
This is a miracle!

To that I chuckled, and said--- Wow. I guess that means God really did heal me. Cool.

He then said--- what do you mean?
I told him--- Saturday night I went to a Jesus concert, and afterwards the preacher wanted whoever needed prayer for anything, to come down, and they'd pray for us.
So, I did, and asked God to heal me. I never felt anything, or any sensations. I came home, and here I am today as you requested. Apparently God actually did heal me.

To which he stated----
Well, I don't know about all that, but this really is a miracle!

God is still in the miracle business. He's the same God he was 2000 years 2500, 3000, 3500, 4000, years and beyond.

Jailer asked paul what MUST I do to be saved, no water baptism mentioned in reply!
30 And brought them out, and said, Sirs, what must I do to be saved? 31 And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house. 32 And they spake unto him the word of the Lord, and to all that were in his house. 33 And he took them the same hour of the night, and washed their stripes; and was baptized, he and all his, straightway.

Baptism seems to be a part of the context.