What is your favourite dish.

balshan

I have started menu planning for a fortnight ahead. I am looking for some inspiration. We have enjoyed a tomato and gnocchi bake, tonight it is Hoi Sin Chicken sandwich. Looking forward to suggestions from you all.

balshan

Salmon - Lemon pepper. I have always loved fish - especially salmon.
Oh yes that sounds fantastic. I made a miso salmon and that went down a treat. We had fish tacos last night which my husband enjoyed. He normally just likes fish and chips.

Sherman

Deep fried battered stuff just all tastes the same to me. Not my cup of tea so to speak. Love my salmon grilled and seasoned - leave off the batter.

balshan

Deep fried battered stuff just all tastes the same to me. Not my cup of tea so to speak. Love my salmon grilled and seasoned - leave off the batter.
I prefer fresh fish without batter etc. As we try to move away from fried foods, my husband is allowed to have his fried fish and chips for his birthday and father's day. But we are all different which is why this topic of food is so interesting. We can learn so much. We might find a new recipe we have never tried, or be reminded of one we have forgotten.

I also love the way fish is prepared in the Asian style. But grilled salmon is great. Lemon is great on most things. Salmon is yummy.

Authentic Nouveau

I prefer fresh fish without batter etc. As we try to move away from fried foods, my husband is allowed to have his fried fish and chips for his birthday and father's day. But we are all different which is why this topic of food is so interesting. We can learn so much. We might find a new recipe we have never tried, or be reminded of one we have forgotten.

I also love the way fish is prepared in the Asian style. But grilled salmon is great. Lemon is great on most things. Salmon is yummy.
When we did vacation in Alaska, I hoped for salmon 3 meals a day. They told us of the different varieties and the top salmon is not exported to the lesser 48 states. it is expensive and goes to Japan. King

balshan

When we did vacation in Alaska, I hoped for salmon 3 meals a day. They told us of the different varieties and the top salmon is not exported to the lesser 48 states. it is expensive and goes to Japan. King
Our salmon comes from Tasmania and other coastal areas and the best is exported to Japan, China. The same it is extremely expensive. Also not the same as other salmons.

SteveB

I have started menu planning for a fortnight ahead. I am looking for some inspiration. We have enjoyed a tomato and gnocchi bake, tonight it is Hoi Sin Chicken sandwich. Looking forward to suggestions from you all.
meal, or dessert, or does it matter?

SteveB

No it doesn't matter. All ideas gratefully accepted.
Baklava, using store-bought (just because I don't have a week to make my own) phillo dough, pecans, butter (not margarine), honey, sugar, cinnamon, and a large flat baking sheet.

balshan

Baklava, using store-bought (just because I don't have a week to make my own) phillo dough, pecans, butter (not margarine), honey, sugar, cinnamon, and a large flat baking sheet.
That is yummy. I have never made my own phillo. My brother in law would love it too, he is Greek background. I have never tried to make Baklava, maybe this is the year. Thank you

SteveB

That is yummy. I have never made my own phillo. My brother in law would love it too, he is Greek background. I have never tried to make Baklava, maybe this is the year. Thank you
You're welcome.
I'm not greek. I was introduced to it in 1979 when I traveled to Israel.
I started making it in 1985, when my roommate's mother send him a box of pecans from their tree.
It's not that difficult. If you like to bake, it'll be relatively simple.
It just requires patience.

balshan

You're welcome.
I'm not greek. I was introduced to it in 1979 when I traveled to Israel.
I started making it in 1985, when my roommate's mother send him a box of pecans from their tree.
It's not that difficult. If you like to bake, it'll be relatively simple.
It just requires patience.
Thank you I will give it a try when I have family around, so I do not eat too much. My doctor is a kill joy sometimes. My husband is the main cook in this family. The boys used to say to their friends come to dinner, dad is cooking tonight.

balshan

My wife made an apple galette dessert the other day. I've been enjoying that a lot....
That also sounds yummy. I have made that in the past. I enjoy eating, I love family meals. My husband work on new recipes together now days. It is great to have time to do things together.

Last edited:

balshan

It was her first one with just apples. She did a berry one over the summer. That was her first. I really enjoyed it.
I love berries and they cause me no tummy troubles. That is a great idea as well. My dad was Italian, my mum was born here but ancestors from several European countries. We just had basics growing up, cooking for a large family had enough problems. But I remember my dad's mum's food, so yummy and so different. Food is great for outreach, gatherings etc. I think that is why most of the biblical festivals centre around the seasons and food.