what is your favourite leftover dish

balshan

In this day and age it is more important than ever to use up all leftovers. They can be taken for lunches or put to use in another dish.

I don't mind bubble and squeak but it does not appeal to my husband. Pasta bakes are another way to use up leftovers and there are always the good old fritters.

Do you mean, making a casserole out of leftovers, or what? I don't do that. We just reheat what is leftover and eat it. Although....right before Christmas, standing beef rib roasts go on sale and I always buy one, for us to eat on New Year's day. It is a special treat for us. We got three meals out of it. For the third meal, I sliced the leftover meat into very thin slices, mixed them in with home-made barbecue sauce, and served it over toasted sesame seed buns. It was very good; my husband loved it.

Do you mean, making a casserole out of leftovers, or what? I don't do that. We just reheat what is leftover and eat it. Although....right before Christmas, standing beef rib roasts go on sale and I always buy one, for us to eat on New Year's day. It is a special treat for us. We got three meals out of it. For the third meal, I sliced the leftover meat into very thin slices, mixed them in with home-made barbecue sauce, and served it over toasted sesame seed buns. It was very good; my husband loved it.
Sounds yum. It means what ever you want in the way you use leftovers. We had ham fritters, ham pasta dish, as well as ham and salad. If you have leftover veges I like bubble and squeak.

I have heard of bubble and squeak but did not know what went into it.
Leftovers.

• leftover cooked potato or sweet potato
  • leftover cooked vegetables (in the above pic it was leftover peas, corn and zucchini)
  • 1 – 2 eggs, beaten
  • grated cheese to taste (optional)
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • a little flour (optional)

Instructions​

1. Mash your potatoes to your desired consistency if not already mashed. It's ok to leave them a bit lumpy and bumpy.
  2. Combine mashed potato, leftover cooked vegetables, egg, cheese and salt and pepper to taste. Mix well to combine.
  3. Heat a frying pan to medium heat and add a little oil or butter to the pan. Dollop spoonfuls of mixture into the frypan and cook until golden on both sides.
  4. Serve warm with a fried egg, as a side to sausages, or by themselves with a dollop of relish, chutney or tomato sauce on top.

Hmmm, interesting....so, one serves fried eggs alongside this bubble and squeak? I would not do that, as my husband hates fried eggs. He will only eat scrambled eggs, omelets, or hard boiled eggs.

However, we rarely have any leftover vegetables of any kind. I make just enough for the two of us. Also, we eat a lot of salads from salad kits, that come complete with everything, including dressing. But thanks for the recipe. It does look interesting.

Back in my cooking days, I made huge pots of [homemade] vegetable beef soup because I wanted leftovers. The next morning I'd have a large bowl of refrigerated soup (yes, cold). It was heavenly!

Hmmm, interesting....so, one serves fried eggs alongside this bubble and squeak? I would not do that, as my husband hates fried eggs. He will only eat scrambled eggs, omelets, or hard boiled eggs.

However, we rarely have any leftover vegetables of any kind. I make just enough for the two of us. Also, we eat a lot of salads from salad kits, that come complete with everything, including dressing. But thanks for the recipe. It does look interesting.
LOL. My husband said "over easy." If the yolk didn't run, he didn't like it.

i will post the recipe soon.

it's the family recipe,
my father's a spaniard so real saffron

it's basically poor man's paella.
I wish my italian nonna had given me her fish ball recipes. I have tried to find it but nothing is quite like hers. My dad cooked fish head soup which made us all evacuate the house, the smell was gross.

I wish my italian nonna had given me her fish ball recipes. I have tried to find it but nothing is quite like hers. My dad cooked fish head soup which made us all evacuate the house, the smell was gross.
oh my. I have a soup recipe for you that both spaniards and italians eat. spaniards call it caldo gallego. italians call it menast(?)

it is the Best soup on earth.

I will post variations as while I do use this, I make it as I grew up eating it, which is not exactly the same as in this recipe. My mother in law years ago who was italian exclaimed it was italian menast when I made for her. I am typing the adapted version out now.

Attachments

• 3F3BD876-9E74-4DBC-A222-68EE6A8B9318.png
    3F3BD876-9E74-4DBC-A222-68EE6A8B9318.png
    949.6 KB · Views: 9
Instead of the beans they recommend, I use the equivalent in canned northern beans. It's faster and I was never good with dry beans. One or two 16oz cans depending on how much soup you will make. Since the beans are precooked just add more as needed up to 2 cans. It may sound silly but the soup
is very very luscious and using canned beans does not take away from that at all. I make a large amount because when I make it it miraculously disappears. :)

My father used the bits of ham/pork but I don't eat pork and the recipe is better without it. I skip the sausages. Instead I broil or bake on high some in inexpensive beef bones and use them to give the flavor. My father did this. In substitution stock might be fine, for faster soup but be careful because it might need diluting. The soup is less a brown beefy thing and broths tend to be too intense. The recipe assumes water - the meats are there to give flavor without overpowering the soup. (I have used part chicken stock and the rest water.) Go ahead and leave the bones in while the potatoes and parsnips cook. careful on water as the end result should be more a stew! Not sure what the water will be with precooked beans....

Once the bones broil, I scrape or use any bits of liquid in the pan into the soup cocotte (the dutch oven, soup pot, etc.) Then add the water and cook the turnips and potatoes but not overly soft of course since the soup will cook further when the beans and collards are added.. I break the potatoes and parsnips up a little once they are cooked...

I do not add any meats or chicken. Just the bones for flavor.

I use a half package of frozen collard greens. Cook in water by itself as it turns the water green. Then strain out all the water and squeeze the collards. Frozen is softer and better and starting from fresh a total pain.

When the potatoes and parsnips are closer to ready, add the strained collard greens and the canned beans. Do not add spices. A little olive oil is fine. Lots of salt is perfect for me. Cook a bit longer until all the flavors marry. Take out the bones before adding the beans and collards.

The italians use spinach but I think it tastes better with collards. The spinach would need to be precooked also, same like the collards, and definitely use frozen for that.

Serve on a shallower pasta bowl like in the picture not in an american soup bowl. It's nice to see everything in the bowl... here is a picture, which seems to show it with ham and spinach.

Attachments

• E6324725-22AB-4932-B939-964200D8A0E2.jpeg
    E6324725-22AB-4932-B939-964200D8A0E2.jpeg
    86.8 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Instead of the beans they recommend, I use the equivalent in canned northern beans. It's faster and I was never good with dry beans. One or two 16oz cans depending on how much soup you will make. Since the beans are precooked just add more as needed up to 2 cans. It may sound silly but the soup
is very very luscious and using canned beans does not take away from that at all. I make a large amount because when I make it it miraculously disappears. :)

My father used the bits of ham/pork but I don't eat pork and the recipe is better without it. I skip the sausages. Instead I broil or bake on high some in inexpensive beef bones and use them to give the flavor. My father did this. In substitution stock might be fine, for faster soup but be careful because it might need diluting. The soup is less a brown beefy thing and broths tend to be too intense. The recipe assumes water - the meats are there to give flavor without overpowering the soup. (I have used part chicken stock and the rest water.) Go ahead and leave the bones in while the potatoes and parsnips cook. careful on water as the end result should be more a stew! Not sure what the water will be with precooked beans....

Once the bones broil, I scrape or use any bits of liquid in the pan into the soup cocotte (the dutch oven, soup pot, etc.) Then add the water and cook the turnips and potatoes but not overly soft of course since the soup will cook further when the beans and collards are added.. I break the potatoes and parsnips up a little once they are cooked...

I do not add any meats or chicken. Just the bones for flavor.

I use a half package of frozen collard greens. Cook in water by itself as it turns the water green. Then strain out all the water and squeeze the collards. Frozen is softer and better and starting from fresh a total pain.

When the potatoes and parsnips are closer to ready, add the strained collard greens and the canned beans. Do not add spices. A little olive oil is fine. Lots of salt is perfect for me. Cook a bit longer until all the flavors marry. Take out the bones before adding the beans and collards.

The italians use spinach but I think it tastes better with collards. The spinach would need to be precooked also, same like the collards, and definitely use frozen for that.

Serve on a shallower pasta bowl like in the picture not in an american soup bowl. It's nice to see everything in the bowl... here is a picture, which seems to show it with ham and spinach.
we don't eat pork either.

Back