What kind of bread is epiousios?

John 6:27 Do not labor for the food which perishes, but for the food which endures to eternal life, which the Son of man will give to you; for on him has God the Father set his seal.”

Which food do you think we are asking for in the Our Father prayer?
Regular food. Why cannot we ask God for that? Jesus knows we need physical food to sustain our lives. Many people do not get enough of any of these things.

Why would we need to ask for the Eucharistic bread, when we just go ahead and have it, whenever we wish?

What is the context of this verse? What happened before this?

Last edited:
Regular food. Why cannot we ask God for that? Jesus knows we need physical food to sustain our lives.

I think it was William Booth who said it is hard to hear the gospel message over a stomach that is growling with hunger or words to that affect. They used to have a big focus on feeding the people first with physical food, then with the word.

We see that Jesus was interested in both physically feeding people, as well as spiritually feeding them.

When the Israelites were schlepping through the wilderness God provided both physical food and water as well as spiritual food.

Bread is used symbolically to show us as the body is in need of food, so is the body in need of spirituall feeding.

Let us be honest bread is symbolic for all man's physcial needs as we need to eat vegetables as well as grains. We can not live on bread alone physically or spiritually.

In no way has any RC made a case for their bread being the literal Jesus.

Last edited:
Certainly the Lord's Supper is important, but nowhere did Jesus specify how often to partake of it.

But to reiterate, you are not an expert in Biblical Greek--Luginbill is.
I see.

So on the one hand---the Bible is easy to understand, and anyone can read it and understand it for themselves. We do not need some old guy in Rome self-claiming infallibility for himself, nor do we need some old guys in dresses to tell us either.

On the other hand, we need a guy who knows Greek to tell us what the Bible really means--cause---we are not Greek scholars. Thus, a PhD in Greek is what is necessary, not infallibility. What the guy with the PhD in Greek says--that is the definitive meaning. I mean--he studied Greek for 11 years for heaven's sake!

Tell me, if I went and got a PhD, studied Greek for 11 years and disputed what he claims----would you listen to what I have to say then?

Ya knows, if Protestants didn't not have no double standards, they wouldn't not have no standards, not at alls.

I see.

So on the one hand---the Bible is easy to understand, and anyone can read it and understand it for themselves. We do not need some old guy in Rome self-claiming infallibility for himself, nor do we need some old guys in dresses to tell us either.

On the other hand, we need a guy who knows Greek to tell us what the Bible really means--cause---we are not Greek scholars. Thus, a PhD in Greek is what is necessary, not infallibility. What the guy with the PhD in Greek says--that is the definitive meaning. I mean--he studied Greek for 11 years for heaven's sake!

Tell me, if I went and got a PhD, studied Greek for 11 years and disputed what he claims----would you listen to what I have to say then?

Ya knows, if Protestants didn't not have no double standards, they wouldn't not have no standards, not at alls.
Your education wouldn't count because you are Catholic and you listen to what the church tells you.

[
Your education wouldn't count because you are Catholic and you listen to what the church tells you.
When it comes to Scripture;
it would be

how many times did ding tell us he has read the bible
30-40-50
ding
have you never read
the wise attend not the Schools of the Amorites

I see.

No, we don't need the Pope. But the Bible is easy enough to understand for those who are indwelt by the HS.
On the other hand, we need a guy who knows Greek to tell us what the Bible really means

Luginbill did not tell me "what the Bible teally means." He simply expounded on what that one particular word means, plus what root words it comes from.

The thing is, what Jesus said is easy to understand--unless one is an RCCer and gives meaning to a word that is not there in its context.
--cause---we are not Greek scholars. Thus, a PhD in Greek is what is necessary, not infallibility.

See above.
What the guy with the PhD in Greek says--that is the definitive meaning. I mean--he studied Greek for 11 years for heaven's sake!

What degrees in Greek do you have?

Maybe. But you would need to take it up with Luginbill. But who knows...if you did all this, you might find out that he is correct.
With that grammar, I don't think you had better tackle Biblical Greek...

Last edited:
[][]
romishpopishorganist said:
I see.

So on the one hand---the Bible is easy to understand, and anyone can read it and understand it for themselves.
====================================================

ezy for some, but not everybody
not just any ole bubba
"desiring to be teachers of the Law
but know nothing of what the proclaim"

as the Wise Lady says

proverbs 8
All the words of my mouth are in righteousness;
there is nothing froward or perverse in them.

9 They are all plain (ezy to understand) to him that understandeth,
and right to them that find knowledge.
5 Come, eat of my bread, and drink of the wine which I have mingled.

RPO;
Forsake the froward lips of the Foolish woman and live

Last edited:
Regular food. Why cannot we ask God for that? Jesus knows we need physical food to sustain our lives. Many people do not get enough of any of these things.

Why would we need to ask for the Eucharistic bread, when we just go ahead and have it, whenever we wish?

Matthew 6:25 “Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes? 26 Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? 27 Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life?

28 “And why do you worry about clothes? See how the flowers of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. 29 Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. 30 If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you—you of little faith? 31 So do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ 32 For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. 33 But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. 34 Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.

I see.

LOL the double standards are called RCs.

Matthew 6:25 “Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes? 26 Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? 27 Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life?

28 “And why do you worry about clothes? See how the flowers of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. 29 Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. 30 If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you—you of little faith? 31 So do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ 32 For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. 33 But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. 34 Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.
You shot yourself in the foot. Jesus never said do not pray for these things, just don't worry about them. One can pray to Jesus for bodily needs, and then trust in Him to provide them, not worrying, because HE is in charge.

We need both physical "bread" and the spiritual "bread"--Jesus Christ. But Jesus said to put the spiritual FIRST. If He had no concern for physical needs, then why did Jesus feed the 5000 that had followed after Jesus to hear Him? Why didn't He just tell everyone that His kingdom was enough for them; go in peace? Remember what James said, in the second chapter of his epistle?

15 Suppose a brother or a sister is without clothes and daily food. 16 If one of you says to them, “Go in peace; keep warm and well fed,” but does nothing about their physical needs, what good is it?

Did Jesus send away the 5000 without providing physical food for them, telling them "The kingdom is enough for you; go in peace back to your homes"?

So, there is nothing wrong with praying for "daily bread" especially if one is in want. Then trust Jesus to provide. Jesus wants us to put our faith and trust in HIM for all things.

Again, ,why is there a need to pray for eucharistic bread, when it is always available in your church?

You shot yourself in the foot. Jesus never said do not pray for these things, just don't worry about them. One can pray to Jesus for bodily needs, and then trust in Him to provide them, not worrying, because HE is in charge.

We need both physical "bread" and the spiritual "bread"--Jesus Christ. But Jesus said to put the spiritual FIRST. If He had no concern for physical needs, then why did Jesus feed the 5000 that had followed after Jesus to hear Him? Why didn't He just tell everyone that His kingdom was enough for them; go in peace? Remember what James said, in the second chapter of his epistle?

Did Jesus send away the 5000 without providing physical food for them, telling them "The kingdom is enough for you; go in peace back to your homes"?

So, there is nothing wrong with praying for "daily bread" especially if one is in want. Then trust Jesus to provide. Jesus wants us to put our faith and trust in HIM for all things.

Again, ,why is there a need to pray for eucharistic bread, when it is always available in your church?
We always pray for Eucharist bread that is why it is always available.

If Jesus wanted us to pray for just are physical bread then why does the scripture use the word epiousios?

Instead of listening to what JESUS tells us...that is telling.
This thread is about the word epiousios. "Listening to what Jesus tells us" and yet you post a Greek scholar to explain the meaning of the word.

That doesn't equate to listening to Jesus. So please explain to us how do we listen to what Jesus is telling us concerning the word epiousios? Thanks.

This thread is about the word epiousios. "Listening to what Jesus tells us" and yet you post a Greek scholar to explain the meaning of the word.

That doesn't equate to listening to Jesus. So please explain to us how do we listen to what Jesus is telling us concerning the word epiousios? Thanks.

By actually listening to him:

Your Kingdom come, Your will be done.
Give us this day our epiousion bread.

Kingdom bread, God's will. Our bread is doing the will of God.

This is your own personal interpretation of scripture. That doesn't necessarily equate to listening to Jesus.

So listening to Jesus means hearing earthly men instead?

Only those who do the will have God have life because life is consuming the bread of God which is the will of God.

You are an "earthly" man.

Listen to Jesus then and stop relying on earthly men for your salvation.

8 So do not be like them; for your Father knows what you need before you ask Him.
9 “Pray, then, in this way: ‘Our Father...."

Why do you insist on being like them when Jesus said otherwise?

Our Father already knows what we need.
So when we pray, we pray for what He wants us to do.

Back