What must we do to stay saved?

Joe

I've been indoctrinated to believe we must stay away from sinning in order to stay saved/forgiven. The weight of this is enormous. It has been my nemesis, for it keeps me away from the security of the Lord and keeps me fighting sin, as it has become the law of God that I must obey instead of believing it is God who justifies me.

My peace is found when I get back to the understanding of my earlier life after being born again that God Himself saved me and keeps me. I didn't have any law of not sinning to fulfill because it was God who called me from darkness to light and kept me. I did not have to do anything except rest in Him.

I've struggled with this for years. The Lord is loving and patient and brings me full circle back to the knowledge that He knew me before I was born, that He chose me, that He saved me from my sins, and indwells me now and forever. I have backslid twice really bad but He never left me. He never told me I was going to hell. He told me to stop for my own good, and then freed my heart when I cried out to Him. And the only reason I cried out was He loved me and was there for me. He is my Father no matter what. He has proven it to me over and over.

Many times the Holy Spirit has brought me to John 6:37-40, "All that the Father gives me will come to me, and whoever comes to me I will never cast out. For I have come down from heaven, not to do my own will but the will of him who sent me. And this is the will of him who sent me, that I should lose nothing of all that he has given me, but raise it up on the last day. For this is the will of my Father, that everyone who looks on the Son and believes in him should have eternal life, and I will raise him up on the last day.”

To those who believe you must keep yourself. What is it you must do? How do you know it is good enough? How is it not considered works after believing? How do you not fall victim to the flesh for having to serve a law to stay forgiven by God? How do you not condemn others for doing the things you perceive as sin that you cannot do?

In our Father's love

Last edited:

ReverendRV

Maybe this will help...

Calling God a Liar ~ by Reverend RV

Titus 1:2 BSB; in hope of Eternal life which God, who cannot lie, promised before time began,

Imagine what our life would be like if God could lie. In Norse mythology Loki is the god of mischief, a trickster. The Bible calls Satan the god of this world, the father of lies. A god wouldn’t be worth having if you could trust him no more than you can trust yourself. God gave us the Ten Commandments and he said ‘thou shalt not lie’; have you ever told a lie? Then you would have something in common with these worldly gods; you would be a liar…

Wouldn’t it be one of the worse Sins you could commit to call the one true God a liar? How close in severity would this compare to the blasphemy of the Holy Spirit? The similarities boggle the mind! The Bible teaches us that God is Holy, Holy, Holy; the ultimate expression of Holiness. The Bible shows us that it is a lot easier to call God a liar than you might think. 1st John 5:9-13 describes one way we can call God a Liar, it says; “We accept human testimony, but God's testimony is greater because it is the testimony of God, which he has given about his Son. Whoever believes in the Son of God accepts this testimony. Whoever does not believe God has made him out to be a liar, because they have not believed the testimony God has given about his Son. And this is the testimony: God has given us Eternal life, and this life is in his Son. Whoever has the Son has life; whoever does not have the Son of God does not have life.”…

The Apostle John tells us that if we do not believe that God has given Christ’s followers Eternal Life, we make God out to be a Liar. John says that God has ‘testified’ that he has given Christians Eternal life and this life is in Jesus! Elsewhere Jesus said that he himself gives those who believe on him Eternal life and no one can snatch them out of his hand. Jesus says that a believer ‘has’ Eternal life and will not be condemned, he has passed from death to life. Is it easier to say that Jesus is lying than it is to say that his Father Jehovah is lying then? I would say not, because Jesus said that he only spoke what he heard his Father say. Jesus says this about those who are in his hand, ‘My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all; no one can snatch them out of my Father's hand.” To call Jesus here a Liar is to also call his Father a liar…

Do you find Eternal life attractive? Then you must also find God’s son attractive. Since lying is a Sin you must repent of it and through Faith follow Jesus Christ. If you repent of your wicked ways and follow the risen Christ, he will save you from the due penalty of your sins; which is an eternity in Hell. God accepts you in part because of Christ’s good standing before the LORD; which by the Grace of God through Faith is now your good standing. ~ Since not believing that God has given Christians Eternal life makes him out to be a Liar, isn't it true that not believing you would spend Eternity in Hell for unforgiven Sins also make God a Liar?

John 5:24 ESV; Truly, truly, I say to you, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life. He does not come into judgment, but has passed from death to life.

Reactions: Joe

ReverendRV

In our Father's love
Thanks for the Like Joe; read this one...

Peter’s three Denials ~ by Reverend RV

Matthew 26:34 NIV; “Truly I tell you,” Jesus answered, “this very night, before the rooster crows, you will disown me three times.”

Have you ever been a Christian but left the Faith? One survey I read says that 70 percent of college students leave Christianity; that’s a staggering number. Most choose their ‘newfound’ learning over their old Sunday School lessons. I have found that because of many ‘oldfound’ teachings of Theology, they do not need to disown Jesus because of new teachings; but that’s a Gospel Tract for another day. This Gospel Tract is about Saint Peter’s three denials of his Lord. Before his crucifixion, Jesus told his disciples that they would be scattered because of him; Peter denied this and said he would never forsake him. Jesus was soon arrested, tried, found guilty, and crucified. Peter watched the trial from within the crowd but was soon recognized as a follower of Christ. Out of fright, Peter disowned Jesus three times; denouncing that he knew him. At his third denial, the rooster crowed and Jesus looked Peter in the eyes; then Peter left, weeping bitterly…

Earlier in Christ’s ministry, Peter confessed that Jesus is the Messiah. Jesus replied by saying that this knowledge came from God. In the book of John, Jesus says “Truly, truly, I say to you, whoever hears my words and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not be condemned; he has crossed over from death to life.” This is an amazing promise in the light of what happened to Peter; because he denied Jesus three times! In the Bible, the number three represents completion. This can be seen elsewhere when the Angels of Heaven declare that God is Holy, Holy, Holy; the fullest expression of Holiness. Peter disowned Jesus three times; there was no need for a fourth denial. If anyone could have lost his Salvation it should have been Peter. You ask, “But doesn’t the Bible say that if you deny Jesus, then you cannot be saved again?” The answer is yes; but do you know whether you are a Judas or a Peter? The Bible tells us that Peter went on to be one of the three leading pillars of the early Church. From the beginning of their relationship, Peter was Justified by Faith in Jesus and you cannot become unjustified; Peter is the ideal example when it comes to the unconditional eternal security of Saints…

After Jesus rose from the grave, he asked Peter three questions, the same question three times; “Peter, do you love me?” Peter answered yes all three times; another example of completion. While you still live, you can return to Jesus as Peter did and enjoy the completeness of your Justification. Perhaps you were not a Christian because you misunderstood the Gospel? We have Sinned against God by Lying, Stealing, committing Adultery, etc. Our Sin causes death; an eternal death in a fiery Hell. But the Godman Jesus Christ lived a Holy, Holy, Holy life obtaining a perfect record which he will trade to you for your Sinful, Sinful, Sinful life's record. Jesus died on the Cross and shed his blood to Atone for Sin. This Atonement is applied by God’s Grace through Faith in Jesus as our risen Lord and Savior, apart from any Work we can perform to earn this gift. Be like Peter; and come home…

John 6:68 KJV; Then Simon Peter answered him, “Lord, to whom shall we go? Thou hast the words of eternal life.”

armylngst

I've been indoctrinated to believe we must stay away from sinning in order to stay saved/forgiven. The weight of this is enormous. It has been my nemesis, for it keeps me away from the security of the Lord and keeps me fighting sin, as it has become the law of God that I must obey instead of believing it is God who justifies me.

My peace is found when I get back to the understanding of my earlier life after being born again that God Himself saved me and keeps me. I didn't have any law of not sinning to fulfill because it was God who called me from darkness to light and kept me. I did not have to do anything except rest in Him.

I've struggled with this for years. The Lord is loving and patient and brings me full circle back to the knowledge that He knew me before I was born, that He chose me, that He saved me from my sins, and indwells me now and forever. I have backslid twice really bad but He never left me. He never told me I was going to hell. He told me to stop for my own good, and then freed my heart when I cried out to Him. And the only reason I cried out was He loved me and was there for me. He is my Father no matter what. He has proven it to me over and over.

Many times the Holy Spirit has brought me to John 6:37-40, "All that the Father gives me will come to me, and whoever comes to me I will never cast out. For I have come down from heaven, not to do my own will but the will of him who sent me. And this is the will of him who sent me, that I should lose nothing of all that he has given me, but raise it up on the last day. For this is the will of my Father, that everyone who looks on the Son and believes in him should have eternal life, and I will raise him up on the last day.”

To those who believe you must keep yourself. What is it you must do? How do you know it is good enough? How is it not considered works after believing? How do you not fall victim to the flesh for having to serve a law to stay forgiven by God? How do you not condemn others for doing the things you perceive as sin that you cannot do?

In our Father's love
Never forget I John 1:9. After salvation we are on the road of sanctification, where we work to be more like Christ. Sanctification does not save us, as we are already saved. When we stumble, we have I John 1:9. We also have Jude 24-25: "24 Now to him who is able to keep you from stumbling and to present you blameless before the presence of his glory with great joy, 25 to the only God, our Savior, through Jesus Christ our Lord, be glory, majesty, dominion, and authority, before all time[a] and now and forever. Amen."
If you truly belong to Him, remember Jesus said He would not lose a single one.