What was counted to Abraham for righteousness?

sure, and believers did sacrifices way way way back as well
but not Mosaic law specific sacrifices

or water immersion or cups and bread with the Jewish context

there is Freedom in Christ -
perhaps those of The Church can just make up whatever they want to

lil' cracker pieces and thimble of grape juice, baby sprinkles
neither matters to or bothers me personally really
but those things (water baptism, cups and bread breaking) had meaning in Jewish life
Yes, they had meaning before moses as well. they have meaning in Christ. but the Rabbi's misunderstood somethings due to their sectarian bent.

Yes, they had meaning before moses as well. they have meaning in Christ. but the Rabbi's misunderstood somethings due to their sectarian bent.
everything HAS to have "meaning in Christ" and The Jews just didn't get it!
just like every verse has to conform to TULIP, because the Bible teaches TULIP
everthing about Israel is really talking about The Church now, because Israel is toast and those in the Land now are not the real Jews
and Everything Jesus said during His life was aimed at and spoken specifically to Christians,
and there is no worth or in trying to understand the Jewish context of anything, right?

a covenant where God says, "I will...blah blah" and the other covenanty only Believes God will make it happen is an unconditional covenant
a covenant with "you do this, I God will do this" and "you don't do this, I God will do this" is conditional

Last edited:
Are you talking about Jewish Wedding Tradition or Law?

Would you agree that Baptism relates to Soteriology, because it pictures the Death, Burial and Resurrection of Jesus Christ in good Conscience?
Probably tradition, but...John's baptism. The groom as well was baptized

Joh 3:29 He that hath the bride is the bridegroom: but the friend of the bridegroom, which standeth and heareth him, rejoiceth greatly because of the bridegroom’s voice: this my joy therefore is fulfilled.

Yes, we are buried with him, and are raised as well.

Romans 7:4 Wherefore, my brethren, ye also are become dead to the law by the body of Christ; that ye should be married to another, even to him who is raised from the dead, that we should bring forth fruit unto God.

everything HAS to have "meaning in Christ" and The Jews just didn't get it!
just like every verse has to conform to TULIP, because the Bible teaches TULIP
everthing about Israel is really talking about The Church now, because Israel is toast and those in the Land now are not the real Jews
and Everything Jesus said during His life was aimed at and spoken specifically to Christians,
and there is no worth or in trying to understand the Jewish context of anything, right?

a covenant where God says, "I will...blah blah" and the other covenanty only Believes God will make it happen is an unconditional covenant
a covenant with "you do this, I God will do this" and "you don't do this, I God will do this" is conditional
Well why all the ask jews stuff?

Well why all the ask jews stuff?
why not ask them on some things?
they gave us The Bible and the Savior, no?

-

Jesus' baptism had more meaning than just a bath?

there is a Jewish wedding tradition, and it might teach The Church something
about it's relationship to Messiah? hmmm :unsure:

Last edited:
Probably tradition, but...John's baptism. The groom as well was baptized

Joh 3:29 He that hath the bride is the bridegroom: but the friend of the bridegroom, which standeth and heareth him, rejoiceth greatly because of the bridegroom’s voice: this my joy therefore is fulfilled.

Yes, we are buried with him, and are raised as well.

Romans 7:4 Wherefore, my brethren, ye also are become dead to the law by the body of Christ; that ye should be married to another, even to him who is raised from the dead, that we should bring forth fruit unto God.
As for tradition, nothing wrong with that It could have been tradition from Abraham, or even Noah's time.
into Moses 1Co 10:2 And were all baptized unto Moses in the cloud and in the sea;
into Noah
1 Pet 3:20 Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.
21 The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us (not the putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God,) by the resurrection of Jesus Christ:

Both of these were before Covenants (ketubahs) were made
Apostolic traditions.......
2Th 2:15 Therefore, brethren, stand fast, and hold the traditions which ye have been taught, whether by word, or our epistle.

why not ask them on some things?
they gave us The Bible and the Savior, no?

-

Jesus' baptism had more meaning than just a bath?

there is a Jewish wedding tradition, and it might teach The Church something
about it's relationship to Messiah? hmmm :unsure:
On somethings yes. But by no means does that mean you will get a correct answer. For marital baptism, I had to look it up in connection with Marriage. For me at the time, It had to do with Mary and her being a betrothed wife. That does not mean her and Joseph were only engaged, though it can also mean that. It is a reference to her status as a wife. She was not just a concubine. So I actually came across this on accident. The wife of covenant.

Last edited:
I am not up to speed on Calvinism, or Arminianism, sorry.
Well I'm glad you're here. Arminianism and Calvinism, IE Soteriology; are what we like to talk about...

Arminians and Calvinists agree when it comes to Total Depravity; that would be a good place for you to start. When Calvinists and Arminians differ very little on a subject, it helps people to get up to speed...

Well I'm glad you're here.
Well, thank you. How kind of you.
Arminianism and Calvinism, IE Soteriology; are what we like to talk about...

Arminians and Calvinists agree when it comes to Total Depravity; that would be a good place for you to start. When Calvinists and Arminians differ very little on a subject, it helps people to get up to speed...
Oh, that dizzies my head. I am not brainy enough to grasp that stuff. Sorry to barge in you guy's forum.

Genesis 15
6 And he believed in the Lord; and he counted it to him for righteousness.

Galatians 3
6 Even as Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness.

James 2
23 And the scripture was fulfilled which saith, Abraham believed God, and it was imputed unto him for righteousness: and he was called the Friend of God.

Romans 4
3 For what saith the scripture? Abraham believed God, and it was counted unto him for righteousness.

What is the "it" that is counted for righteousness?

Romans 4
9 Cometh this blessedness then upon the circumcision only, or upon the uncircumcision also? for we say that faith was reckoned to Abraham for righteousness.

My question; What was counted/reckoned to Abraham for righteousness?

I believe "faith" here refers to the "law of faith" in Romans 3:27, which I define as the merits of Christ on Calvary.

Romans 3
27 Where is boasting then? It is excluded. By what law? of works? Nay: but by the law of faith.
"IT", is the righteousness of Christ, that is imputed to the sinner's account while they are still ungodly.

Romans 4:3 For what does the Scripture say? “Abraham believed God, and it was counted to him as righteousness.”4 Now to the one who works, his wages are not counted as a gift but as his due. 5 And to the one who does not work but believes in him who justifies the ungodly, his faith is counted as righteousness, 6 just as David also speaks of the blessing of the one to whom God counts righteousness apart from works

"Justifies the ungodly", Faith being a gift embraces to what saves the ungodly; Christ and all of his works. Faith is passive, it rests and receives Christ with empty hands.

so you didn't bother to read the study on covenants

only God went thru the pieces of animals, not Abraham
in that covenant - it's on God to make those promises to Abraham a reality, not Abraham
I don't know exactly what the other poster meant but that covenant has conditions, but not for man to meet. Christ fulfilled the conditions.

Back