Whats the best book in your view that provides evidence for....

Status
Not open for further replies.

john james

Whats the best book in your view that provides evidence for God's existence, Jesus' existence, Jesus' resurrection and the bible being inspired by God, not including the Bible?

civic

Licona on the Resurrection is the best book.

Gary Mac

Whats the best book in your view that provides evidence for God's existence, Jesus' existence, Jesus' resurrection and the bible being inspired by God, not including the Bible?
The best evidence is to have in you the same God who came to Jesus and opened up all of His heaven to him. He does the same in us all who receives from Him the same. A book cant give you that information that comes only by God Himself.

balshan

I enjoyed reading books by Lee stobel and Josh McDowell.

The case for Christ by Lee Stobel
Evidence that demands an answer by Josh McDowell
Don't check your brains at the door by Josh McDowell.

They are the ones that come to me at present. Sorry I have read others but I cannot remember them at the moment.

rakovsky

You are asking for a book that combines all those things, which is harder than to ask for the best book on each one. One of the best books on proving Jesus' existence may be Bart Ehrman's book on that topic, titled "Did Jesus Exist?," because he is arguing from a non-Christian or secular academic perspective there.

docphin5

You are asking the wrong question.

What you are asking is, “What books will tell me what I want to hear, —whether it be true or not, matters not.” —Because, if the Gospel Jesus be a mythical construct, —you ask NOT for that book. Likewise, if Jesus’ resurrection be allegorical, —you ask NOT for that book.

Therefore, you are like the one who asks for his ears to be tickled, and, of course, someone will oblige you.

For the time is coming when people will not endure sound teaching, but having itching ears they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own passions, and will turn away from listening to the truth and wander off into myths. (2 Timothy 3:4)

The better question would have been, “What books will lead me to the truth about the Divine?”

In that case, I would recommend Doherty’s “Jesus: Neither God nor man” and Dykstra’s “Mark, Canonizer of Paul”.

But you will say, Those books demonstrate that Jesus is a myth. Why would I want to hear that?

Because it is true. And you cannot begin to know the divine until you understand the archetype for all men as written in the mythical Gospel Jesus.

Here it is again, if you will.

“...they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own passions, and will turn away from listening to the truth and wander off into myths. “

There it is, advice from a true friend. Nobody else will tell you like it is.
Best to you.

Last edited:

rakovsky

You are asking the wrong question. ...

In that case, I would recommend Doherty’s “Jesus: Neither God nor man” and Dykstra’s “Mark, Canonizer of Paul”.

But you will say, Those books demonstrate that Jesus is a myth. Why would I want to hear that?

Because it is true.

The basic Mythicist theory goes that since (A) much of Jesus' story is in the realm of the fantastic, eg. Jesus walking on water, and (B) sometimes overlaps with known pagan myths, eg. divine miraculous birth stories, therefore (C) it must be a myth. But this is not really correct. The reasoning does not actually demonstrate that Jesus as a person is fully mythical and fictional.

For example, stories of ancient Chinese emperors, Caesar, Muhammed, Buddha, and the Greek story of the city of Troy could have elements of the fantastic (eg. the monsters that Homer narrates on Odysseus' journey in the same series of poems where he narrates Troy's fall) and overlap with myths (eg. the story of Troy was passed down in Greek legends), but this does not prove that such famous ancient people and such a place were fictitious.

Abounds

The Two Natures of Christ by Martin Chemnitz.
You're welcome

CrowCross

The smartness of a book won't save anyone.
God saves you...then maybe one of those smart books can help explain God or enhance your knowledge on a biblical topic.

Rockson

You are asking the wrong question.

What you are asking is, “What books will tell me what I want to hear, —whether it be true or not, matters not.”
No they're not asking a wrong question. Even if ones want a book which helps substantiate their belief nobody has said or implied whether it be true or not. By insinuating that you're putting down what may be good people that they're dishonest. You might want to consider there are sincere genuine people everywhere.

Abounds

If you EXCLUDE the Bible, YOU'VE GOT NOTHING!!!
I like how people (not just this poster) need to ignore the actual question he is asking....and can't imagine he is looking for an apologetics book.

You must be well aware the OP notes the Bible is the best, he is looking for something besides that. "Not including the Bible"

Some people's children.

Bob Carabbio

I like how people (not just this poster) need to ignore the actual question he is asking....and can't imagine he is looking for an apologetics book.

You must be well aware the OP notes the Bible is the best, he is looking for something besides that. "Not including the Bible"

Some people's children.
"Apologetics" is nothing more than this or that "WRITER'S OPINION" about what the Bible says, colored strongly by the Paradigms of the Denomination or School that they experienced. It all has to start WITH THE BIBLE - and the Illumination of its words by the Holy Spirit. One SHOULD NOT read books ABOUT the Bible, until they have a good working knowledge about what the Bible ITSELF says.

Gary Mac

"Apologetics" is nothing more than this or that "WRITER'S OPINION" about what the Bible says, colored strongly by the Paradigms of the Denomination or School that they experienced. It all has to start WITH THE BIBLE - and the Illumination of its words by the Holy Spirit. One SHOULD NOT read books ABOUT the Bible, until they have a good working knowledge about what the Bible ITSELF says.
It is opinion until God comes to the individual by His SPirit and manifests Himself in you, He in you and you in Him as one. Same mind, same light, same walk as He walks.

And you are correct those who God has not come to is not manifest in only has opinions about Him. And it isnt that He is not will nor wont but that He is rejected in favor of mans beliefs of a god.

The kingdom of God doesnt come with observation but is within you , manifest in you but not very many believe Jesus in that and formed other opinions about it.

Dizerner

balshan

I liked the book "Betrayed" I think it was a beautiful testimony.

It is a good book. Another book I enjoyed reading was Chasing the dragon.

Books written by Catherine Marshall, Corrie Ten Boom and Merlin Carothers are very supportive to Christian living.

Dizerner

It is a good book. Another book I enjoyed reading was Chasing the dragon.

Books written by Catherine Marshall, Corrie Ten Boom and Merlin Carothers are very supportive to Christian living.

Also enjoyed I Dared to Call Him Father:

balshan

Also enjoyed I Dared to Call Him Father:
That was a great book.

Another book I read was Sunflower.

I read the original copy and the important thing about this book is the fact that every religion has a different understanding of forgiveness. How we need to ensure we see a word has the same meaning when in discussions. His story was interesting and eye opening and then their are people writing from their different prospectives.

Status
Not open for further replies.