What's the Difference?

RayneBeau

Both Judaism and Roman Catholicism are steeped in legalisms.

What are the differences in legalism between these two religions?

RayneBeau

Sorry, I meant to ask what are the similarities in the legalism of these two religions - Roman Catholicism and Judaism.
For instance many of their followers think they can merit God's favor.

Nic

Sorry, I meant to ask what are the similarities in the legalism of these two religions - Roman Catholicism and Judaism.
Not to undermine your thread and perhaps I'm overlooking something but don't all legalist do so to avoid punishment or attain paradise? Both of these can be considered meriting favor as I see it.

RayneBeau

Yes, and isn't religious legalism also guilty of piling lots of laws and ordinances on the backs of their followers that burdens them instead of blessing them, and keeps them tied to their church and not to their Savior?

Nic

Yes, and isn't religious legalism also guilty of piling lots of laws and ordinances on the backs of their followers that burdens them instead of blessing them, and keeps them tied to their church and not to their Savior?
I suppose religous legalism has a specific meaning for you beyond legalism found in your two broadened examples as I previously offered. For me legalism is legalism. But in reading your reply again I did notice how that echoes Luther in that Luther told Leo that he would accept their rules and laws under these conditions; that they don't bind men consciences so that people think by disobedience they could be damned or by obedience that a person would understand they would be justified. Of course Leo said no because the power the church had over the flock was far too much too concede.

Last edited:

Nondenom40

This goes all the way back to Genesis. Able and Cain were to give their sacrifices to God. God told them how He wanted it done. Able obeyed and Cain didn't. Cain gave what he thought he should give not what God asked him to give. Thats the way its been ever since. Christians, born again believers have gone the path of Able and submitted to God. All the others want to impress God with their Cain type of offering. "Yes God told us how He wants things but we know better than God and we'll do it our way."

mica

This goes all the way back to Genesis. Able and Cain were to give their sacrifices to God. God told them how He wanted it done. Able obeyed and Cain didn't. Cain gave what he thought he should give not what God asked him to give. Thats the way its been ever since. Christians, born again believers have gone the path of Able and submitted to God. All the others want to impress God with their Cain type of offering. "Yes God told us how He wants things but we know better than God and we'll do it our way."
that's the RCC and its followers!

LifeIn

I know you would like to push that narrative, but if those followers think they can merit God's favor, they aren't following the teachings of their Church.

mica

I know you would like to push that narrative, but if those followers think they can merit God's favor, they aren't following the teachings of their Church.
then catholics who claim to be following the teachings of the RCC, are not following the teachings of the RCC?

and the teachings of the RCC aren't found in the ccc?

LifeIn

then catholics who claim to be following the teachings of the RCC, are not following the teachings of the RCC?
Some of them, I suppose. There are a lot of people who claim to be Catholics.

Yes, they are, and the CCC does not say one can truly merit God's favor. If you would like cite a section that you think most clearly says one can, perhaps we can take a look at it together and see.

mica

mica said:
Some of them, I suppose. There are a lot of people who claim to be Catholics.
yes, like those posting on here and claim to be catholics.

mica said:

Yes, they are, and the CCC does not say one can truly merit God's favor.
yes, it does but catholics twist God's word and pervert it, and they change the meaning of words (which is why it has its own dictionary, as does the LDS).

you've added 'truly' to your reply... what's that to mean? truly (for real) vs the catholic's pretend to merit His favor?

If you would like cite a section that you think most clearly says one can, perhaps we can take a look at it together and see.
no, that's been done on here numerous times. wherever the ccc claims something is mandatory, such as submitting to the pope, or supports what is contrary to God's word. catholics will claim it doesn't mean what it actually says the same as they claim scripture doesn't mean what it actually does say.

eta -
catholics believe they merit His favor by believing and following the RCC and its false teachings.

balshan

The problem with legalistic beliefs is the burden they put on what is required. Some have good intentions, others are just a power grab or a control mechanism.

I mean Judaism has added hedges to the commandments, so that no one is even tempted to break the commandment. For example: if you are orthodox, you will not even put a pen in their pocket, thus stopping the temptation to write or carry things.

Others can be for control the RCC used to make on attendance of mass a mortal sin. It was one way of controlling the laity.

Mtt 23:4

They tie up heavy, cumbersome loads and put them on other people’s shoulders, but they themselves are not willing to lift a finger to move them.

5 Everything they do is done for people to see: They make their phylacteries[a] wide and the tassels on their garments long; 6 they love the place of honor at banquets and the most important seats in the synagogues; 7 they love to be greeted with respect in the marketplaces and to be called ‘Rabbi’ by others.

epiousios

A major similarity is that God has laid out for us how He wants to be worshiped liturgically.

Reactions: Nic