What's the RCC's Teaching About the Doctrine of Justification?

RayneBeau

To my knowledge the RCC has never denied that justification is by a prolific act of God's grace. In fact, Roman Catholicism's paid writers often make it sound like it's perfectly biblical- and this of course leads to confusion. Here's an example; consider the plain answer given to the question, "How is the sinner justified?" in Stephen Keenan's Doctrinal Catechism: "He is justified gratuitously by the pure mercy of God, not on account of his own or any human merit, but purely through the merits of Jesus Christ; for Jesus Christ is our only mediator of redemption, who alone, by His passion and death, has reconciled us to His Father."

As cited in "The Basic Catholic Doctrine of Justification by Faith,
" Present Truth: - Special Issue - Justification by Faith,
Robert D. Brinsmead, ed.
(P.O. Box 1311, Fallbrook, California 92028),.d., 7.

So, what is the real and true RCC Teaching being taught today, on their doctrine of justification?

I should state that the problem I see here is not that Roman Catholics are taught that "justification occurs by grace."

The problem is that the Roman Catholic definition of "justification" and "grace" is different from what the Bible teaches.
The biggest difference that I can see between Catholic and nonCC is that Catholicism sees justification as an ongoing lifelong relationship. It is a journey of purification desiring to be internally transformed so we can stand before our Father in heaven.

And what is the RCC definition of sanctification?

Thanks,
--Rich
Here is a good analogy that describes the process of justification/sanctification...

"They are subtle parts of the same process. For example, justification is your father giving you a car (righteousness/salvation) and sanctification is you and your father maintaining the car (cooperation with grace). You need to have a car to maintain a car, and you need to maintain a car to keep a car. The gift and the maintenance are intrinsically linked to each other in the ultimate goal of possessing the car." - Catholic Answers

Here is a good analogy that describes the process of justification/sanctification...

"They are subtle parts of the same process. For example, justification is your father giving you a car (righteousness/salvation) and sanctification is you and your father maintaining the car (cooperation with grace). You need to have a car to maintain a car, and you need to maintain a car to keep a car. The gift and the maintenance are intrinsically linked to each other in the ultimate goal of possessing the car." - Catholic Answers
OK, thanks. I'll "codger-tate" on it. Although when Dad gave me the '61 Falcon, it was a one-time deal. Over and done with. Like a judge saying, "Not guilty." Keeping it clean and running was something totally different from receiving it. Hmmm..

--Rich

OK, thanks. I'll "codger-tate" on it. Although when Dad gave me the '61 Falcon, it was a one-time deal. Over and done with. Like a judge saying, "Not guilty." Keeping it clean and running was something totally different from receiving it. Hmmm..

--Rich
You had a father give you a car, bonus. I don't recall my father giving me anything. Once when banks opened late and I wanted to buy something at a sale, I borrowed some money from him. It was to buy some outfits for my new born son. I got the money out of the bank on the way home and repayed him. He mentioned giving me that money for years, yet he never mentioned it was repaid. I will say dad always gave mum money to put food on the table, clothed us and we had a roof over our heads.

You cannot compare justification and sanctification to getting a car or put it in human understanding. It is a miracle. Shame RCs do not understand it.

no

--Rich
What would be the benefit of receiving it if you hadn't bothered to maintain it though? If you took the gift and let it go to worthless junk?

They struggle to even open their mouth without contradicting what Scripture says.
So true. No one will be surprised then to learn that the Roman Catholic Church teaches that justification is the infusion of sanctifying grace or supernatural ability which actually works to help make a Roman Catholic person objectively righteous and pleasing in the eyes of God. If sustained until death, this grace then permits the Roman Catholic to merit entrance into heaven because of the righteous life he or she lived. The Roman Catholic then actually deserves heaven because his/her own goodness, in part, has earned it. This explains why the basis for justification in RCC theology is not the fact of Christ's righteousness being reckoned (imputed) to a believer by faith alone. Rather it is the fact that, through the sacraments, Christ's righteousness is infused into the Roman Catholic's very being so that they progressively become more and more righteous. And on that basis - the fact we have actual righteousness now - we are declared "righteous." Thus, in Roman Catholicism justiciation occurs primarily by means of the sacraments and not exclusively by personal faith in Jesus Christ.

Last edited:
To my knowledge the RCC has never denied that justification is by a prolific act of God's grace. In fact, Roman Catholicism's paid writers often make it sound like it's perfectly biblical- and this of course leads to confusion. Here's an example; consider the plain answer given to the question, "How is the sinner justified?" in Stephen Keenan's Doctrinal Catechism: "He is justified gratuitously by the pure mercy of God, not on account of his own or any human merit, but purely through the merits of Jesus Christ; for Jesus Christ is our only mediator of redemption, who alone, by His passion and death, has reconciled us to His Father."

Robert D. Brinsmead, ed.

So, what is the real and true RCC Teaching being taught today, on their doctrine of justification?
“Justice is uprightness rectitude-of-will kept for its own sake.” [St. Anselm, On Truth, 12]. Continuing Anselm said, “Justice is not rightness of knowledge or rightness of action but is rightness of will.” [St. Anselm, On Truth, 12]. The will is contained in the intellect of man, thus ‘to will’ something is an. As we are, Adam was free to act either in obedience or in disobedience. Prior to his original act of rebellion, Adam 'abided' in God. This abiding is more intense than abiding in Christ when partaking in the Eucharist. [Cf. John 6:57]. Without justification found in the Baptism all acts, whether good or evil remain avaricious and thus not charitable.

Until baptism, where some semblance of justification is restored in the founts of the Church, we remain part of the corporate army of Satin. Denouncing Satan, rectifying the will, we enter the Kingdom through the doors of Baptism. Every personal act, good or bad, out of charity or not, is avaricious and sinful because we have not restored our honor. Whether sinful or not an act of will merits us according to the measure equal to the act when baptized incorporated in the ‘Body of Christ’, the Church. We merit punishment for sin or we merit the promises of Jesus Christ for fidelity.

The original justice accompanying Adam's creation was a moral quality or habit perfectly joining the will to an enlightened understanding of the will of God. It is a state of being in which Adam possessed sanctifying grace with the beatific vision and other preternatural graces. His graces inexplicably joined the cardinal virtues having rights to honorable prudence, temperance, and fortitude in all moral acts. These gifts were inheritable, had Adam not sinned we would have enjoyed the same honors given to Adam.

Because of the fist sin we bear the guilt and punishment. We inherit the punishment and guilt in our birth because we are progeny of Adam. Prior to his original to Adam’s rebellion, it could be said Adam 'abided' in God as we are invited to abide in Christ in the Eucharist after Baptism [Cf. John 6:57]. The punishment of original sin is not something put into us, or something that re-creates us into sin, rather it is the withdrawal of original justice that once belonged to the patriarch of all men. It was something we would have rightly inherited as his progeny had it not been Adam’s sin. Prior to the fall, Adam stood before God as a just man. The original man was created with a soul that was perfectly joined to the intellect and perfectly united with the will of God. The deprivation of justice finds its origin in Adam’s sin through his act of revolutionary disobedience; it is our heritage.

One can not find justification in protest.

JoeT

Robert D. Brinsmead, ed.

He is talking there about the initial Grace of justification.

If you knew what you were talking about (and Rome as well) then you wouldn't need to concoct up words like "initial" in a vain attempt to sound like you )and Rome) might know what you are talking about.

You could just simply say, "justified from his sins" as Paul did and you could also optionally refer to Ephesians 2:8, the beginning of our salvation.

But as it is, you mimic Rome rather than Christ, and add confusion to folly. It is far simpler than you have it. Lies are always complicated tangled webs which men weave. The straight line of truth is always sublimely clear and simple.

The quote "He is justified gratuitously by the pure mercy of God, not on account of his own or any
human merit, but purely through the merits of Jesus Christ; for Jesus Christ is our only mediator
of redemption, who alone, by his passion and death, has reconciled us to his Father." originates from the book Doctrinal Catechism [Rev. Stephen Keenan, Doctrinal Catechism, p139]. It is a simple Q&A with interesting perspective of the deformation.

JoeT

The quote "He is justified gratuitously by the pure mercy of God, not on account of his own or any
human merit, but purely through the merits of Jesus Christ; for Jesus Christ is our only mediator
of redemption, who alone, by his passion and death, has reconciled us to his Father." originates from the book Doctrinal Catechism [Rev. Stephen Keenan, Doctrinal Catechism, p139]. It is a simple Q&A with interesting perspective of the deformation.

JoeT
But now the RCC argues that because this infusion of sanctifying ability is not merited by anyone, it is therefore entirely a free gift of God's grace. But what this really seems to say is that God gives the means by which individuals can help to earn their own salvation. In the end, what saves man is the works he does after conversion that have been energized by grace.

But now the RCC argues that because this infusion of sanctifying ability is not merited by anyone, it is therefore entirely a free gift of God's grace. But what this really seems to say is that God gives the means by which individuals can help to earn their own salvation. In the end, what saves man is the works he does after conversion that have been energized by grace.

That's pretty abstract. But Rome is well known for using intentionally elastic language which it can later stretch, twist, and contort for whatever occasion is at hand.

Sanctification................hagiasmos
Sanctify............................hagiazo
Saint (holy one)........... hagios
Holy................................. hagios

Instead of "infusion.........." why don't they just say, "indwelling of the Holy Spirit"?

Why yes, the Church always defined it such, "The supernatural state of being infused by God, which permanently inheres in the soul. It is a vital principle of the supernatural life, as the rational soul is the vital principle of a human being's natural life." Infusion is the pouring in symbolized in the waters of Baptism out of which we receive a real grace. Justification, sanctification and righteousness are always a grace (Greek, charis), an unmerited benevolent gift of God on human primarily in the sacrament of Baptism, and strengthen with actual grace.

JoeT

What would be the benefit of receiving it if you hadn't bothered to maintain it though? If you took the gift and let it go to worthless junk?
I think we're stretching the analogy too far. If I had, say, a 1973 Ford Galaxy 500, Dad would not have given me the Falcon. That is, he knew I had need of wheels, so he gave me the Falcon. Yes, I was responsible for keeping it clean and tuned up, but that had absolutely nothing to do with the gifting. Dad was "mechanically declined". Had he not been, I'm sure he would have shown me about changing the oil, air filter, and spark plugs, just as he showed me how to change a tire. And had I just let the car sit in front of the house, he surely would have said something. But again, the maintenance was different from the original gift.

So the way I see it, God justifies us at the moment of salvation. Done deal. The Holy Spirit (Spiritus Sanctus) comes into our lives and starts working on us and with us to make us more godly. This is the process of sanctification, which is subsequent to justification.

Or, my brother adopted a baby boy. The judge declared John to be Tom's son. There was no need for the judge to follow John around, declaring to all and sundry that John was Tom's son. However, John had to learn what it meant to be Tom's son – how to act, how to speak to Tom, where his seat at the table was, and so forth. The declaration was a one-shot deal; what followed after was a process.

HTH,
--Rich

Back