When Art Imitates Life

Rook

Are you guys familiar with Dragon Ball Z?

Unfortunately, Akira Toriyama, creator of the acclaimed series/saga, has recently passed. If you’re not aware, this series has single-handedly impacted the lives of many a youth and adult alike across the globe, and his work will likely continue to do so for the foreseeable future.

I’m reminded of a time in scripture where an event occurred that I can only imagine looked similar to how Toriyama conveyed in his work when the characters within the series “charged up” or became “Super Saiyan”. A field of energy (ki) surrounds them and wind gusts powerfully outward from the person when they do this.

Notice these two images below for suggestion:
gohan-super-saiyan-charging-oytiju1jdpyivdyc.webp

200w.gif

And now I turn your attention to the book of Acts chapter 2. Notice the description.

And suddenly there came a sound from heaven, as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled the whole house where they were sitting. Then there appeared to them divided tongues, as of fire, and one sat upon each of them. ” (Acts 2:2-3)

The word “divided tongues” here in this verse is refers to the appearance of this phenomenon. In the KJV it’s translated “cloven tongues”. The imagery here is like that of a dancing flame, which is why it is compared to fire. This isn’t the first time the Lord correlated something of the tongue with something dealing with fire, for effect or illustration, to describe what is happening. Ref: Notice in 1 Kings 18:38Then the fire of the LORD fell and consumed the burnt sacrifice, and the wood and the stones and the dust, and it licked up the water that was in the trench.”

I find it amazing the Lord use of words and how they can be so simple and pure yet still advanced far beyond ways we would ever even think to use language and compose sentences. Anyways, with that said, what occurred that day on Pentecost when the Holy Spirit fell upon the Apostles with power and thus beginning the church, I can only imagine would have had to have looked something similar to what is showed above in those images referenced. You get the idea.

God bless.

Back