When exactly does "iron sharpenerh?"

Unbound68

The vast amounts of historical information -- facts, salient points, context, etc. -- provided by 99% of the users in the Simonides and Sinaiticus threads that goes completely unanswered, ignored, or swept under the rug by 1 contra user posting in those threads shows beyond any doubt that a discussion and/or debate with someone like Myshrall, Jongkind, Parker, Elliott, or any other manuscript scholar alive at this moment in time would be much too embarrassing for that 1 contra user.

So the question that came to mind as I thought about all that became the title of this thread.

If Maestroh, TNC, cjab, and others are too much for that 1 user to handle without resorting to childish insults and pouting, how would he ever be able to have a competent discussion with the manuscript scholars, and what then is the meaning of his oft-quoted, and misquoted, "iron sharpeneth?"

If everyone who disagrees with him, being vastly more qualified and knowledgable on the subject, are considered by him to be nothing but "dupes," then his iron sharpeneth nonsense has no meaning at all

Last edited:
The quotation is Proverbs 27:17, "Iron sharpeneth iron; so a man sharpeneth the countenance of his friend." (KJV)

I think it means that, just as bringing hard iron against iron improves it (by sharpening it), so a discussion between friends will improve the "countenance" (the intellect, the articulation, the general demeanor) of a man.

The quotation is Proverbs 27:17, "Iron sharpeneth iron; so a man sharpeneth the countenance of his friend." (KJV)

I think it means that, just as bringing hard iron against iron improves it (by sharpening it), so a discussion between friends will improve the "countenance" (the intellect, the articulation, the general demeanor) of a man.
Which only works if both participants are willing to be corrected.

A man too lazy to properly quote the very scriptures he claims to be defending will demonstrate that same laziness in his so-called "research" of all issues.

Quick and expedient does not a scholar make.

The "discussions" from the KJVO-ists reminds me of the lines from that old Simon and Garfunkel song, "The Boxer": "A man hears what he wants to hear, and disregards the rest". KJVOism is, at best, an emotional, anti-intellectual reaction against the unfamiliar in preference for the known and comfortable. The KJVO-ists show that they do not care what God really said, just how the Word was translated into the vernacular of 400 years ago.

--Rich
"Esse quam videri"

Back