When some on the far left ask for evidence from others, they only accept evidence produced by those on the far left. How is that when the others are..

Ignatius

Who says? We have the BBC, regulated by the government in a way that you would never accept, with a directive to be balanced and objective. Do you accept the BBC as an objective source of world news? How would you force news networks to do what they "should" do and be objective, particularly if that means losing viewers and thus advertising revenue?
I watch the BBC news on BBC America from time to time. It seems objective but if it's a govt directive that's sad. I never said we should force news to be objective I said they should be, just like it's not illegal to cheat on your wife but you should have enough integrity to keep your vow. Should the govt have to force it? If news was all objective then you'd only watch the stations with the prettiest or most handsome news readers I guess. lf I want opinion I know where to go but if I want news, there is no place that I think is objective so I have to scour all the garbage to ultimately make up my own mind. I have to do that anyway but an objective news source you could trust would be nice.

Temujin

I watch the BBC news on BBC America from time to time. It seems objective but if it's a govt directive that's sad. I never said we should force news to be objective I said they should be, just like it's not illegal to cheat on your wife but you should have enough integrity to keep your vow. Should the govt have to force it? If news was all objective then you'd only watch the stations with the prettiest or most handsome news readers I guess. lf I want opinion I know where to go but if I want news, there is no place that I think is objective so I have to scour all the garbage to ultimately make up my own mind. I have to do that anyway but an objective news source you could trust would be nice.
It's not controlled by the government but it is in the terms of the licence. All TV networks here have to be balanced in order to broadcast. The BBC is odd because of the way it is funded. There is no advertising. It levies a licence fee on all viewers. The level of the fee is determined by the government. The Charter upon which it was funded is coming up to a hundred years old. It states that the role of the BBC is "To educate, entertain and inform." For example, we are currently in a nationwide lockdown with all schools closed. The BBC has produced a series of on-line lessons, presented by celebrates, to support home learning. No commercial station would do that.

Ignatius

It's not controlled by the government but it is in the terms of the licence. All TV networks here have to be balanced in order to broadcast. The BBC is odd because of the way it is funded. There is no advertising. It levies a licence fee on all viewers. The level of the fee is determined by the government. The Charter upon which it was funded is coming up to a hundred years old. It states that the role of the BBC is "To educate, entertain and inform." For example, we are currently in a nationwide lockdown with all schools closed. The BBC has produced a series of on-line lessons, presented by celebrates, to support home learning. No commercial station would do that.
Great. Not how it works here. News is telling me what happened not what you think about what happened or what you think about the people involved. If you want to do that become an opinion columnist don't pretend to be a newsperson.

Electric Skeptic

And they are wrong to do so. News should be objective so people can make up their own minds. The LAST thing the lame brain media wants is people making up their own minds. Fox rose up as a result of the increasing movement of the lane brain media to the left.
Fox rose up to cater for the increasing movement of the lame brain right to the further right.

Electric Skeptic

Great. Not how it works here. News is telling me what happened not what you think about what happened or what you think about the people involved. If you want to do that become an opinion columnist don't pretend to be a newsperson.
News reporting has always been about opinion. Because news is about making money, not providing a service.