When They Tell You What Underwear to Use - You Know You're in a Cult:

I doubt clothes one wears has anything to do with being blind or stupid.

We don't disparage anyone for the attire they wear to church. This argument is an attempt to make a mountain out of a molehill. We don't have a one-size-fits-all approach. Some members do, but it's not doctrine or policy. As I said before, our scripture tells us to deny no one attendance to our meetings. I don't know how far one could push that to see what boundaries could be pushed, but I suppose there is a boundary and one could push past it and still be legally attired even if inappropriate.

You keep saying "nice Hawaiian shirt". That leads me to believe that even for you there is a boundary. What if it wasn't a "nice" shirt?

This argument is going nowhere. The attire at the wedding wasn't a matter of choice. All attendees wore the same garment and the condition the garment was in was not the responsibility of the wearer. It wasn't even a church meeting.

No matter how you look at it, we feel that the clothes one wears to worship God is a sign of respect. Each person, individually, makes that determination. We do have limits on the amount of jewelry one might wear in temple worship. I'm not aware that any exceptions exist in cultures where excessive jewelry is the norm. I suspect that anyone who shows up at the temple with 10 earrings in each ear will be asked to remove them before worship starts but I don't believe there will be an issue in a church meeting.

You all don't have meeting places where a heightened level of respect and honor is given, as far as I know. We do. Hawaiian shirts, no matter how nice or lovely, are not worn in temple worship. Everyone wears the same attire.
Great post, on spot with a very well thought out reply..... Worship and respect go hand in hand...I made friends with a returned inactive member who could only afford jeans and a tee shirt, I was glad he was there to begin a process of coming unto Christ once more..

But then, Mormons don't reverence God the Father or Jesus Christ, since in their abysmally low Christology, Jesus is Satan's actual brother in the supposed pre-mortal existence. And God the Father was first a "man on an earth" who had to learn how to become a god--one among many--like going up the rungs of a ladder. In other words, their god is the same "specie" as we humans, just a little farther up the spiritual evolutionary ladder than we mortals, and therefore, also limited. Unlike the TRUE omnipotent, omniscient, and omnipresent, and uncreated God of the Bible. So, Mormonism debases not only Jesus Christ but God Himself in its sub-basement theology.
What is so horrible that Lucifer was once a honored individual in the pre-existence.... please tell me how this is appalling or abysmal. Really?

Exactly. Some men in our church in the summer don't come in dirty, torn clothing, muddy sandals, etc. But in neat, tidy Hawaiian shirts and clean sandals. My husband sometimes does, and he is a retired pastor. So, you better believe he shows great reverence and respect for Jesus Christ when he comes with me to worship God in Christ Jesus at our church services. In the summer, I come in nice capris, sandals, and pretty blouses. We are both neat, clean, and tidy. And extremely reverent in our attitude and worship.
When he was a pastor did he wear sandals, burmuda pants and a hawwian shirt? if not what did he wear, maybe a suit, white shirt and a tie.
Hope you can be honest with us and tell us the truth of what he did wear...

And casually dressed worshippers are to lazy to dress up and give Christ the respect he deserves... I don't wish to sit next to somebody who has toenails longer that my tie and who knows if he washed his/her hands before taking the sacred sacrament... but what the hay, its your church and your rules.... petty soon folks will be showing up in bathing suits... oh my! where does it end...
You sure have a lot to worry about and a lot of judging of people because you don't know everything about others. Do you ever leave the house?

When he was a pastor did he wear sandals, burmuda pants and a hawwian shirt? if not what did he wear, maybe a suit, white shirt and a tie.

“I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.”​

Mahatma Gandhi

Was Gandhi dressed properly when he went to church? Did he wear a tie so he would blend in?

Who are you to judge other Americans and make allowances for Samoans? Does the Bible say, "Don't wear sandals if summers are hot where you live?"

Why do you want to judge what a pastor wears?

“I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.”​

Mahatma Gandhi

Was Gandhi dressed properly when he went to church? Did he wear a tie so he would blend in?

Who are you to judge other Americans and make allowances for Samoans? Does the Bible say, "Don't wear sandals if summers are hot where you live?"

Why doesn't she answer me, he either wore casual wear or he wore a suit and tie.... I wonder why there is not answer... hmm!

Mahatma Gandhi

If he wears casual wear then I'm fine with that, because he would be like everyone else... if he wore a suit and tie, I would ask why?

Why doesn't she answer me, he either wore casual wear or he wore a suit and tie.... I wonder why there is not answer... hmm!
Perhaps your rudeness makes people use valuable time to do more worthwhile things. There is not one Bible verse that tells men how to dress. Why do you have a chip on your shoulder when you come here? Why do you come here? You seem incredibly troubled.

I don't recall any verse in the BoM or D&C that tells people to dress a specific way for church.

Last edited:
No, he wore his one and only suit, with his "God collar". But then, when preaching, he took off his jacket and wore his alb and stole, the attire of his office as a called and ordained servant of the Word in our church. It is some of the men parishioners who wore nice Hawaiian shirts, pants, and nice sandals. :) No Bermuda shorts, unless we were having church services at a picnic area in the summer, and were going to have a picnic afterwards. Those were fun! :)

Last edited:
I asked a good question, if the regular membership is casual in their wear, then the Pastor should also be casual to be able to fit in...
That is nonsense. We see a variety in our church--from fairly casual to fairly formal. I fall somewhere in the middle and so does my husband. The dear pastor we have now wears a shirt with his "God collar", pants, and nice shoes when he is not preaching. I have only rarely seen him dress in a suit at church when not wearing his alb and stole. But he fits in just fine because we all love and honor him and love that he preaches both Law and Gospel to us, always finishing with the Good News of Jesus Christ.

Any more questions, Richard? :)

Last edited:
Because I have been mostly on the Catholic board recently, and not on here--that is why, Richard! Got a problem with that?

What is so horrible that Lucifer was once a honored individual in the pre-existence.... please tell me how this is appalling or abysmal. Really?
If you don't know why teaching that Jesus and Satan are supposedly brothers in the supposed pre-mortal existence is so execrable, then I can't help you, Richard--but every true Christian on here thinks the same way I do, and that it is a teaching from the pit of hell. Shameful!

I hope someday you stop resisting the HS, and let Him open your eyes to the truth--that you have been taught to believe lies from a church with a sub-basement Christology!

Last edited:
If you don't know why teaching that Jesus and Satan are supposedly brothers in the supposed pre-mortal existence is so execrable, then I can't help you, Richard--but every true Christian on here thinks the same way I do, and that it is a teaching from the pit of hell. Shameful!

I hope someday you stop resisting the HS, and let Him open your eyes to the truth--that you have been taught to believe lies from a church with a sub-basement Christology!
Didn't God Create Lucifer the Brother of Christ? you fail to understand that God created Satan and in doing so we now have evil on this earth.
You guys never answer the question.... did God create Evil, if he created Satan then you have the perfect reason as a Christian to believe God crated evil.... Mormons don't believe God created Evil, evil has always existed....

Back