Where Christianity Diverges from Scripture

J regia

A: The prohibitions God gave against eating pork (i.e. Lev 11:7-8, Deut 14:8, Isa 65:4, Isa 66:17) were a part of the ceremonial laws of the Old Covenant (see: Q: #17 for more on this). In short, ceremonial laws were given to symbolically purify and cleanse God’s people. They pointed forward to Jesus Christ through whom we are now purified and cleansed (The New Covenant).

While science has shown us that pork and the other “unclean” foods that God prohibited are indeed unhealthy, they are no longer forbidden foods. There are several verses in the New Testament that show us this.

Most importantly, Jesus Himself declared ALL foods clean:

(Mk 7:18-19)(NASB) … Do you not understand that whatever goes into the man from the outside cannot defile him, (19) because it does not go into his heart, but into his stomach, and is eliminated?” (THUS HE DECLARED ALL FOODS CLEAN.) (Caps emphasis mine)

(Rom 14:2-3) For one believeth that he may eat ALL things: another, who is weak, eateth herbs (vegetables). (3) Let not him that eateth despiseth him that eateth not; and let not him which eateth not judge him that eateth: for God hath received him. (caps emphasis mine)
(1 Cor 10:25)(NASB) Eat anything that is sold in the market without asking questions for conscience’ sake;

(Acts 10:14-15) But Peter said, Not so, Lord; for I have never eaten anything that is common (unholy) or unclean. (15) And the voice spake unto him again the second time, what God hath cleansed, that call not thou common (unholy).

(Col 2:16-17) Let no man therefore judge you in MEAT, or in drink, or in respect of a holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days: (17) which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ. (caps emphasis mine)

Also, it should be noted, that while man apparently did not eat meat before the flood (Gen 1:29-30), God allowed man to eat “EVERY MOVING THING” after the flood (Gen 9:2-4). He did not forbid any kind of meat until the law was given hundreds of years later.

The Bible tells us that in the end times, there will be an increase in those who command others “to abstain from meats which God hath created” (1 Tim 4:1-4).

The reason why certain religions, such as Judaism and Islam, prohibit the eating of pork and other “unclean” foods is because they do not accept that Jesus cleanses all who trust in Him by His shed blood on the cross.

Amen..
IOW the ten commandments etc are just man-made since they didn't apply to Abraham et al and their ancestors. Which is why Abraham shared a non-kosher meal with a god when they had a face to face discussion about the number of righteous children in Gomorrah, before the god walked down to count them, since it was neither an omniscient or omnipresent type of god (Gen 18).

rossh

IOW the ten commandments etc are just man-made since they didn't apply to Abraham et al and their ancestors. Which is why Abraham shared a non-kosher meal with a god when they had a face to face discussion about the number of righteous children in Gomorrah, before the god walked down to count them, since it was neither an omniscient or omnipresent type of god (Gen 18).
I do not believe you.. Abraham came along when ? and when did God give Moses the Commandments ? lol
Scriptures, you are just supposing here, there are no passages of Scripture why ?
This is how it works, you deal with YOUR suppositions your own self..

rossh

What on Earth did that have to do with a god. Those laws are just man-made (including the ten commandments) and evolved over time, given that they didn't apply to Abraham et al and their ancestors.

And medicinal herbs and taboos on certain foods for health reasons have been used by our aborigines and other cultures for thousands of years before Adam's grandmother was a girl.

4 But you are not to eat those that only chew the cud or only have a separate hoof. For example, the camel, the coney and the hare are unclean for you, because they chew the cud but don't have a separate hoof;

while the pig is unclean for you, because, although it has a separate and completely divided hoof, it doesn't chew the cud.

8 You are not to eat meat from these or touch their carcasses; they are unclean for you.

9 "'Of all the things that live in the water, you may eat these: anything in the water that has fins and scales, whether in seas or in rivers -these you may eat.

10 But everything in the seas and rivers without both fins and scales, of all the small water-creatures and of all the living creatures in the water, is a detestable thing for you.

11 Yes, these will be detestable for you -you are not to eat their meat, and you are to detest their carcasses.

12 Whatever lacks fins and scales in the water is a detestable thing for you.

13 "'The following creatures of the air are to be detestable for you - they are not to be eaten, they are a detestable thing: the eagle, the vulture, the osprey,

14 the kite, the various kinds of buzzards,

15 the various kinds of ravens,

16 the ostrich, the screech-owl, the seagull, the various kinds of hawks,

17 the little owl, the cormorant, the great owl,

18 the horned owl, the pelican, the barn owl,

19 the stork, the various kinds of herons, the hoopoe and the bat.

rossh

well if you say so, I do not believe anything that you say, but let your suppositions rule your life if you want that.. cheers...
Why do you preach on and about Abraham, he who follows and obeys The One True God ?

rossh

wrong again... wow you claim I am wrong, because I said God told the Jews not to eat certain foods and then you say I am wrong again, but! you then also claim that the 10 commandments are all fiction and man made..
I disagree with you on each of those issues... they the Laws are God given and God did restrict the Hebrew diet as such. It is all in Scripture..

rossh

Where does Yeshua-ism ( Christianity ) in fact diverge from Scripture, if at all ? I do not believe that it does nor ever has. How ever, the " Christians themselves ", us humans, have and do, as we are all human beings..

J regia

well if you say so, I do not believe anything that you say, but let your suppositions rule your life if you want that.. cheers...
Why do you preach on and about Abraham, he who follows and obeys The One True God ?
The ten commandments etc are obviously just man-made since they didn't apply to Abraham et al and their ancestors. Which is why it wasn't morally wrong for Noah and Abraham to have sexual relationships with their sisters Naamah and Sarah and for Abraham to commit adultery with Hagar, or for Lot to sexually assault the future wives of his sons-in-law (Gen 19). Nor was it morally wrong for Abraham to be commanded to butcher and cook his son as a sacrificial meal even though the god subsequently chose to eat an old ram instead. Nor was it morally wrong for Cain-an to kill his brother Abel or for Noah's father to murder a young man (Gen 4).

rossh

The ten commandments etc are obviously just man-made since they didn't apply to Abraham et al and their ancestors. Which is why it wasn't morally wrong for Noah and Abraham to have sexual relationships with their sisters Naamah and Sarah and for Abraham to commit adultery with Hagar, or for Lot to sexually assault the future wives of his sons-in-law (Gen 19). Nor was it morally wrong for Abraham to be commanded to butcher and cook his son as a sacrificial meal even though the god subsequently chose to eat an old ram instead. Nor was it morally wrong for Cain-an to kill his brother Abel or for Noah's father to murder a young man (Gen 4).
So you say... sic!

The Pixie

Great post.. BTW,, let me ask, if these guys here, do NOT believe in God in anyway, then why?? do they try to quote Gods Word to us ????
Two reasons.

The discussions are all about whether Christianity is true. Showing Christianity is not internally consistent - it makes one claim in one place and a contradictory claim in another place - is one way to show it is not true.

The accounts in the Bible are evidence of what actually happened, To take the gospels as an example, the authors wrote what they did for a reason that was important to them. That could be because it was true, or because the erroneously believed it was true or they really wanted it to be true, so working out what actually happened is anything but simple, but the gospel accounts do give us clues.

J regia

wrong again... wow you claim I am wrong, because I said God told the Jews not to eat certain foods and then you say I am wrong again, but! you then also claim that the 10 commandments are all fiction and man made..
I disagree with you on each of those issues... they the Laws are God given and God did restrict the Hebrew diet as such. It is all in Scripture..
So who told our aborigines what not to eat, given that they arrived here over 50,000 years before Adam's grandmother was born?

And why didn't Abraham's god give those dietary laws etc to him or his ancestors?

Or are those laws (including the ten commandments) just man-made and evolved as society evolved?

rossh

So who told our aborigines what not to eat, given that they arrived here over 50,000 years before Adam's grandmother was born?

And why didn't Abraham's god give those dietary laws etc to him or his ancestors?

Or are those laws (including the ten commandments) just man-made and evolved as society evolved?
what, well then you do not know that, neither do I. ?

He did.

Who knows, but God gave Moses Laws and over time God gave Israel Laws and Ordinances in total there 360..

rossh

Two reasons.

The discussions are all about whether Christianity is true. Showing Christianity is not internally consistent - it makes one claim in one place and a contradictory claim in another place - is one way to show it is not true.

The accounts in the Bible are evidence of what actually happened, To take the gospels as an example, the authors wrote what they did for a reason that was important to them. That could be because it was true, or because the erroneously believed it was true or they really wanted it to be true, so working out what actually happened is anything but simple, but the gospel accounts do give us clues.
where does Christianity diverge form Scripture ?
Most likely because we are just human after all, that started with Adam.
I believe the Bible, because I never wanted the Bible to believe me, sic!
If you believe in mankind, then that is for you, but I believe the Word of God only..

The Pixie

where does Christianity diverge form Scripture ?
Most likely because we are just human after all, that started with Adam.
I believe the Bible, because I never wanted the Bible to believe me, sic!
If you believe in mankind, then that is for you, but I believe the Word of God only..
When the Bible says Jesus' generation will not pass before the kingdom of God comes, do you believe that?

When the Bible says Jesus told his followers to give up all their material goods and to trust to God to provide, do you believe that?

When the Bible says there is a solid dome over the earth, do you believe that?

Or do you instead believe the Christian spin?

J regia

what, well then you do not know that, neither do I. ?

He did.
So where does the bible say that the ten commandments and dietary laws etc applied to Abraham and his ancestors, or did you just make that up?
Who knows, but God gave Moses Laws and over time God gave Israel Laws and Ordinances in total there 360..
By why didn't a god give Abraham and his ancestors those laws, or are they just man-made?

rossh

So where does the bible say that the ten commandments and dietary laws etc applied to Abraham and his ancestors, or did you just make that up?

By why didn't a god give Abraham and his ancestors those laws, or are they just man-made?
why ? you do not believe me but, in spite of that, you now you ask ME! about God and, why this and why that,, how would I know, ask God for goodness sake,, sic!

rossh

I can not answer for God, God is big enough to speak for Himself. I only know that he gave the Law to Moses and as to why, I do not know that either that is Gods business not mine.

J regia

I can not answer for God, God is big enough to speak for Himself. I only know that he gave the Law to Moses and as to why, I do not know that either that is Gods business not mine.
But what actual evidence do you have that a god gave Moses the ten commandments etc? Have you ever discussed that with your god if your god is big enough to speak for himself?
And how do you know that your god is a male?

Or is that just an imaginative story in a book to enable the writers of those laws and commandments to have more punch in policing their laws and commandments, given that they didn't apply to Abraham et al and their ancestors?

Last edited:

J regia

why ? you do not believe me but, in spite of that, you now you ask ME! about God and, why this and why that,, how would I know, ask God for goodness sake,, sic!
IOW the ten commandments etc are just man-made since they didn't apply to Abraham et al and their ancestors.