Where does the claim of 30,000+ protestant denominations come from and what exactly defines a denomination?

I've read, on these very threads, the claim that protestantism is a mass of disunity comprised of 30,000+ denominations. I'm curious what a denomination is defined as. Is it a self governing church? Is it a church that maintains a jurisdiction (semi-autonomous)? I'm just seeking what rc's define as a denomination to justify the claim there are 30,000+ protestant denominations. Now, that said, if we can get past that question, what statistical data base do rc's refer to when they claim there are 30,000+ protestant denominations. There must be an authoritative resource that has compiled such data and I'm curious to see just who/what that is for rc's and how dependable it is as a resource.
Excellent questions. Certainly, it depends upon the definition of “denomination.“ If you’re talking about a self-governing entity, then certainly there are thousands worldwide. For example, if I recall correctly, most Baptist and non-denominational congregations, consider themselves to be independent. If you were talking about a grouping of congregations, then certainly there are less. And how do you treat self governing bodies that belong within the same faith tradition? Such as the Free Methodists or the United Methodist Church? One denominational or two? Or the three main American Lutheran bodies…one denomination or three?

Until folks have an agreed-upon definition here, there is really no satisfactory way of gauging the total number of denominations.

Nor does RCC nor does the word catholic.

From wiki:

The first known use of "Catholic" was by the church fatherSaint Ignatius of Antioch in his Letter to the smyrnaeans, circa 110A. So once again a totally pointless statement by an RC.
Thank you for posting.
And what does wiki say is the first known use of the name of your denomination?

Excellent questions. Certainly, it depends upon the definition of “denomination.“ If you’re talking about a self-governing entity, then certainly there are thousands worldwide. For example, if I recall correctly, most Baptist and non-denominational congregations, consider themselves to be independent. If you were talking about a grouping of congregations, then certainly there are less. And how do you treat self governing bodies that belong within the same faith tradition? Such as the Free Methodists or the United Methodist Church? One denominational or two? Or the three main American Lutheran bodies…one denomination or three?

Until folks have an agreed-upon definition here, there is really no satisfactory way of gauging the total number of denominations.
How about that definition?

A church that is self-governing.
Yes, if push came to shove, I would probably go with something like that. But even that definition is lacking somewhat.

For example, there are many independent congregations. Is every one of those independent congregations a denomination? Also, how would you handle the Eastern Rites of the Catholic Church? They are all self-governing churches, yet also under the authority of the Pope.

It seems that people generally know instinctively what a denomination is, but trying to pin down a definition that works across all the variables is something I have not yet seen successfully accomplished.

Oh mine is the first one, the one that follows Jesus. I don't believe in denominations. The real believers will come from many denominations.
You don’t support the concept of denominations or you don’t believe that denominations exist?

Back