Where does the NT name for Jesus, in Greek Ieosus, come from?

Jewjitzu

Hi all. I'm wondering if one of the Greek scholars online, or someone knowledgeable, can answer for me and @wiseones2cents, where Ieosus originates from?

I understand that Ieosus is Greek for Yeshua or Yehoshua, which is Hebrew for Joshua found in the LXX.

Please confirm the meaning of the names Ieosus, Yeshua, Yehoshua, Joshua and Jesus as well.

Thank you.

Last edited:
I could only refer you to the Wikipedia article, which is quite comprehensive.

As to meaning, proposals include "Yahweh/Yehowah saves, (is) salvation, (is) a saving-cry, (is) a cry-for-saving, (is) a cry-for-help, (is) my help."

I could only refer you to the Wikipedia article, which is quite comprehensive.

As to meaning, proposals include "Yahweh/Yehowah saves, (is) salvation, (is) a saving-cry, (is) a cry-for-saving, (is) a cry-for-help, (is) my help."
Thank you. I've referenced this Wikipedia source.

@wiseones2cents latest gripe is the Jesus was never called Yeshua or Yehoshua because he was a Hellenist Jew and was only called Ieosus in his lifetime. I find his position ridiculous.

Thank you. I've referenced this Wikipedia source.

@wiseones2cents latest gripe is the Jesus was never called Yeshua or Yehoshua because he was a Hellenist Jew and was only called Ieosus in his lifetime. I find his position ridiculous.
@wiseones2cents is absurdly pro-Islam and despises Christianity. He picks up all kinds of rubbish from Islamists. Nazareth the village was occupied during the Hellenstic Jewish period and the Roman period; and it was close to the Roman town of Sepphoris, but it retained its Jewish character.

It has been argued that all Judaism after the conquests of Alexander was "Hellenistic Judaism" to some extent; but the original languages were retained in Jewish places away from the Roman and Greek settlements.

@wiseones2cents is absurdly pro-Islam and despises Christianity. He picks up all kinds of rubbish from Islamists. Nazareth the village was occupied during the Hellenstic Jewish period and the Roman period; and it was close to the Roman town of Sepphoris, but it retained its Jewish character.

It has been argued that all Judaism after the conquests of Alexander was "Hellenistic Judaism" to some extent; but the original languages were retained in Jewish places away from the Roman and Greek settlements.
Thank you for your input.

@wiseones2cents gets defensive when I point out that Jesus was named after YHWH (YH saves), since he says the Tanakh is rubbish and it is all false. He says he's Christian but you can tell he has gnostic, dualistic beliefs.

Hi all. I'm wondering if one of the Greek scholars online, or someone knowledgeable, can answer for me and @wiseones2cents, where Ieosus originates from?

I understand that Ieosus is Greek for Yeshua or Yehoshua, which is Hebrew for Joshua found in the LXX.

Please confirm the meaning of the names Ieosus, Yeshua, Yehoshua, Joshua and Jesus as well.

Thank you.

Iesous is just a Greek way to write English "Joshua."

Yehoshua - Heb
Joshua -Heb directly into English
Yeshua - Aramaic
Iesous Greek
Iesus Latin
Jesus English (Latin with a J). Pronounce it like a German would "Yee sus"

One example may suffice: Hebrews 4:8 has, in the KJV, "Jesus", but the context and virtually every modern version (and the sidenote in the 1611 KJV) has "Joshua", meaning the successor to Moses, the one who breached the walls of Jericho.

One example may suffice: Hebrews 4:8 has, in the KJV, "Jesus", but the context and virtually every modern version (and the sidenote in the 1611 KJV) has "Joshua", meaning the successor to Moses, the one who breached the walls of Jericho.
Thank you. We find the same English translation in the LXX.

Back