Where have all the Christians gone?

A reasonable but biased statement was made to the OP.

"Maybe because they find no need to defend it to atheists. Perhaps they feel it's a pearls before swine thing"
Stigs

...and a very unreasonable atheist disagreed, in his normal, acidic way.
It is interesting that you think likening atheists to pigs is reasonable. I am curious what manner of beast the "unreasonable atheist" likened Christians to in his "normal, acidic way".

I've always thought you'll get a different kind of believer in here, not the faint of heart and not afraid to pick up a bat when needed because you are not going to get my sweet grandma or wife in here, they'll shake the dust off immediately.

That's a good point. That's the nature of this place. Those who of their own free will choose to come here but who constantly complain about the lack of civility are like someone who freely enters an MMA fight and complains about being hit below the waist.

The poster who submitted the post right above this one is offended by Jesus' words in Matthew 7:6. His ego is so fragile that he believes I was calling him a literal pig, as opposed to trying to illustrate the futility of giving precious non-digestible gems to an unappreciative animal.

Homosexuality is a form of sexual attraction. It isn't religious or political. It isn't an agenda. It's just two people who fancy each other who happen to be the same sex. The people making a religious-political agenda out of it, are those like yourself, who think that their peculiar moral proclivities should apply to everyone else as well. Wey, you are reaping the whirlwind. Far more people support the rights of homosexuals than oppose them. You have lost the argument, not just here, but everywhere.
In your opinion.

That's a good point. That's the nature of this place. Those who of their own free will choose to come here but who constantly complain about the lack of civility are like someone who freely enters an MMA fight and complains about being hit below the waist.

The poster who submitted the post right above this one is offended by Jesus' words in Matthew 7:6. His ego is so fragile that he believes I was calling him a literal pig, as opposed to trying to illustrate the futility of giving precious non-digestible gems to an unappreciative animal.
Actually, pearls are largely made up of calcium carbonate, which dissolves readily in even weak acid. They are probably more digestible than bubble tea pearls.

Every day is a school day.

It seems like there is a lack of Christians on the forum defending their faith in God? Why is that?
probably because its in the secular section and we cant expect atheists to necessarily believe.
Academic arguments can work but usually it needs a spiritual revelation.

Matthew 8:21-23 Jesus was not speaking about atheists in those verses. Jesus died for all men.That includes atheists.

1Peter 15-16 Always be ready to make your defense to anyone who demands from you an accounting for the hope that is in you, 16 yet do it with gentleness and respect.
Yes and no. Sure Jesus was speaking to the religious leaders and disciples in Matthew 8:21-23, but whilst Jesus has died for all and made a way to salvation, let the dead bury their dead does indicate those who reject that are dead in their sins.

But I am splitting hairs 1 Peter 3 is very much about do it with gentleness.

I prefer not to discuss faith matters in the secular arena so much as the folly of the secular ideology, which the secular claims it has given us as a right to do

Don't understand your point.
The point is that if the act of one body 'violating' another body is wrong - as you claim - then it shouldn't make any difference what said bodies look like

Violation is violation
Whether it has two holes, two poles, or a hole and a pole

Wearing of clothes protects the body from harm and public degradation. Unnatural acts harm the body and they also pollute society.
You miss the point

Wearing clothes is unnatural
To be naked is the very epitome of what it means to be natural

If you are going to condemn homosexuality on the basis of it supposedly being unnatural - then you should likewise be condemning the wearing of clothes because it, too, is unnatural

Because God created man and woman to be in union.
And God created you naked
You wear clothes, presumably

If subverting God's intention is wrong then you are wrong for wearing clothes

Why do you consider a one sex act to be right when there are two sexes for it, not one?
Because there is nothing wrong with it
No one is being harmed

If you are going to condemn homosexuality on the basis of it supposedly being unnatural - then you should likewise be condemning the wearing of clothes because it, too, is unnatural
Wearing of clothes does not violate my conscience. Homosexual acts would make me want to kill myself. How can they even be compared?

You seem to be arguing that any activity that is harmful is immoral. At least, that is what I understod you to mean when you said:

Consideration of the consequences of homosexuality (which are perfectly predictable in every society) can be used by societies to invoke natural law to suppress it, simply by reason of the predicted and known consequences (plenty of biblical and historical examples). This is why even atheist / shamanist countries have had strong laws against homosexuality.

Is that the case? Do you think driving a car for leisure is immoral? How about skiiing, horse riding and rock climbing?

Or have I misunderstood your argument? If so, please clarify.
The predicted actions of doing any of the activities you listed, if properly regulated, are not harmful. The predicted actions of homosexuals are always harmful. Look at the bible: this teaches us that homosexuals are aggressive and always demanding more "rights." They are uncontrollable and insatiable in this respect. They don't stop until they have completely defiled society; and rid it of every ounce of respect.

Wearing of clothes does not violate my conscience. Homosexual acts would make me want to kill myself. How can they even be compared?
So then it does just come down to your opinion that homosexuality is disgusting. Why did we have to go through dozens of posts when you claimed is was natural, had bad consequences and all your other rationalisations?

The predicted actions of doing any of the activities you listed, if properly regulated, are not harmful. The predicted actions of homosexuals are always harmful. Look at the bible: this teaches us that homosexuals are aggressive and always demanding more "rights." They are uncontrollable and insatiable in this respect. They don't stop until they have completely defiled society.
Homosexuals demand the right you already have!

This is like thinking black people were in the wrong in the fifties when they demanded the same rights as white folk - and I am sure plenty of fine Christian folks did just that. What is wrong is you wanting to withhold from them the rights you have.

And, like black people in the fifties, they will indeed not stop until they have the same rights that you have.

So then it does just come down to your opinion that homosexuality is disgusting.
No: it's been taught as disgusting ever since man was accounted moral as well as biological.

Why did we have to go through dozens of posts when you claimed is was natural, had bad consequences and all your other rationalisations?
See my post above yours for the predictable consequences. Homosexuals never stop until that have completely defiled society. Every society of every religion, and no religion, has a natural right to limit and counter homosexuality.

If the reason that homosexuality violates your conscience is because you believe it to be unnatural - then the wearing of clothes SHOULD violate your conscience because it, too, is unnatural

Homosexuals demand the right you already have!

This is like thinking black people were in the wrong in the fifties when they demanded the same rights as white folk - and I am sure plenty of fine Christian folks did just that. What is wrong is you wanting to withhold from them the rights you have.

And, like black people in the fifties, they will indeed not stop until they have the same rights that you have.
Comparing homosexuals to blacks is perverse. They fall into completely different categories.

No: it's been taught as disgusting ever since man was accounted moral as well as biological.
And slavery has been taught as right. Nowadays we know better.

Most of us.

Comparing homosexuals to blacks is perverse. They fall into completely different categories.
Clearly there are differences, but why do those differences mean the analogy is not apt?

And you have not said why you want to withhold rights you have from a minority. Do please enlighten us.

Is it just that homosexuality disgusts you?

All morality is personal. If the majority of a society feels strongly about a moral question, it may enact a law. Society as a whole may be regarded as immoral by disgruntled individuals. That has no legal or objective bearing. I for example would hold that a society that banned abortion, used the death penalty and oppressed homosexuals, was deeply immoral. I would think the same of the benighted individuals who support those positions. However, that's just my point of view. Other views on morality are available.

Homosexual rights have been condoned by those in power, duly elected by a population that supports them. You lost.
No I didn't lose. I've still got my soul, whereas you've lost yours to the devil.

Seeking rights equivalent to the rights of others, is not persecution. Besides, homosexuals HAVE rights. Trying to take those rights away, would be persecution. That's what you are advocating, the persecution of people based on their sexuality. That's both illegal and immoral.

You appeal in vain. You lost.
I didn't lose, because my standards are not your standards. When you're dead you'll find out you lost big time.

Perhaps you could disabuse yourself of the idea that others are to be guided by your conscience...

Back