Which church most closely matches the early church?

Runningman

In my research I have narrowed down the churches to three main categories: Catholic, Protestant, and Restorationist.

If you had to pick a single denomination from each category that best represents that category then which would it be?

The idea I’m looking for is which particular denomination most closely matches what the early New Testament church would have practiced.

Please cite examples from the Bible or any early church writings if possible.

Thanks!

In my research I have narrowed down the churches to three main categories: Catholic, Protestant, and Restorationist.

If you had to pick a single denomination from each category that best represents that category then which would it be?

The idea I’m looking for is which particular denomination most closely matches what the early New Testament church would have practiced.

Thanks!
Thank you for posting this thread....

As a Catholic, we don't believe we are a denomination since that term started around the sixteenth century to reflect a separation. We believe the early church was Catholic [universal] and had a hierarchy.

More to follow in a bit...

Are you looking for examples of the Eucharist, baptism, Peter's primacy, etc. from the ECF's?

Thanks

Really just anything that speaks to whatever the early church members were thinking and believing. It doesn’t necessarily need to agree with what the canonized Bible says since so few seem to agree on what it says anyway. :)

Thanks!
I would say your typical church probably matches on of the early church's Jesus sent His letters to in Revelation.

Thanks!
Ive been through the gamut for religious enterprises and have found that by receiving from God Himself is the only way. My daughter went to catholic schools. As with myself, Even Jesus went through the same process from the Jewish denomination to actually being free from the laws to govern that belief when God came to Him personally and opened up in him who He is and all of His heaven in Matty 3:16. He does the same in anyone who will receieve the same as Jesus did, As Adam did in Gen 3:22 when he receive the same from God and became like Him to know this difference. Abraham did the same, Moses did the same, 120 did the same as Jesus did from God Himself.

Thanks!
Find a denomination that teaches little New Testament..... uses some OT, and does a good amount of (presumptuous alleged) prophesy to fill in for what was not able to be taught from the pulpit.

By outward appearances? That would closely match the early church. But, in the early church prophesy was genuine and edifying.

No advancing and maturing body of Christ should too closely resemble the early church, no more than aviation today should resemble the plane of the Wright Brothers first flight.

Many just do not get it because the teaching they are hearing is bare minimal, erroneous, or into a false system of church programs and works.

The only church today that would resemble the early church in its format of function would be like the following:

The pastor is to be always studying and making ready to teach, while assigned church members attend to the needs to their church.

Act 6:2 is the source for that comment.

Not all... but too many are outside of that protocol.

Simply being taught "something" in church does not mean one is being taught the Word of God.

Thanks!
I will start with The Church and Peter/Rome....

The Martyrdom of Polycarp

When finally he concluded his prayer, after remembering all who had at any time come his way – small folk and great folk, distinguished and undistinguished, and the whole Catholic Church throughout the world – the time for departure came. So they placed him on an ass, and brought him into the city on a great Sabbath (The Martyrdom of Polycarp 8 [A.D. 110]).

Irenaeus

The Catholic Church possesses one and the same faith throughout the whole world, as we have already said (Against Heresies 1:10 [A.D. 189]).

Clement of Rome

Accept our counsel and you will have nothing to regret. . . . If anyone disobeys the things which have been said by him [Jesus] through us, let them know that they will involve themselves in no small danger. We, however, shall be innocent of this sin and will pray with entreaty and supplication that the Creator of all may keep unharmed the number of his elect (Letter to the Corinthians 58:2, 59:1[A.D. 95]).

Ignatius of Antioch

You [the See of Rome] have envied no one, but others have you taught. I desire only that what you have enjoined in your instructions may remain in force (Epistle to the Romans 3:1 [A.D. 110]).

Irenaeus

But since it would be too long to enumerate in such a volume as this the succession of all the churches, we shall confound all those who, in whatever manner, whether through self-satisfaction or vainglory, or through blindness and wicked opinion, assemble other than where it is proper, by pointing out here the successions of the bishops of the greatest and most ancient church known to all, founded and organized at Rome by the two most glorious apostles. Peter and Paul, that church which has the tradition and the faith which comes down to us after having been announced to men by the apostles. With that church, because of its superior origin, all the churches must agree, that is, all the faithful in the whole world, and it is in her that the faithful everywhere have maintained the apostolic tradition (Against Heresies 3:3:2 [A.D. 189]).

Find a denomination that teaches little New Testament..... uses some OT, and does a good amount of (presumptuous alleged) prophesy to fill in for what was not able to be taught from the pulpit.

By outward appearances? That would closely match the early church. But, in the early church prophesy was genuine and edifying.

No advancing and maturing body of Christ should too closely resemble the early church, no more than aviation today should resemble the plane of the Wright Brothers first flight.

Many just do not get it because the teaching they are hearing is bare minimal, erroneous, or into a false system of church programs and works.

The only church today that would resemble the early church in its format of function would be like the following:

The pastor is to be always studying and making ready to teach, while assigned church members attend to the needs to their church.

Act 6:2 is the source for that comment.

Not all... but too many are outside of that protocol.

Simply being taught "something" in church does not mean one is being taught the Word of God.
Find a denomination to teach you their laws for a belief? Why not go to God and let Him teach in His ways as He did in Jesus in Matt 3:16? His denomination that he taught in even at a young age couldn't give him God. Only God Himself coming to you and opening up His mind in you is the only truths of God. Everything else is only beliefs about a god.

Thanks!
All of them match approximately the same because all of them are imperfect and have their respective strengths and weaknesses.

I think you division between "Catholic, Protestant, and Restorationist" is substantively flawed. First and foremost, unless you're including the "renewed" portion of the Catholic Church restorationists are Protestant. Your categories amount to Catholic and Protestant and you've left out the Orthodox Church.

Personally, if by "Restorationist," you mean those sects that arose during the 19th century during what is historically known as the "Restoration Movement," then these are easily the least consistent with the New Testament era Church. Much worse in some ways and some cases than the RCC. The restoration movement fostered a huge shift in Christian thought, doctrine and practice. The shift between creedalism and experientialism was enormous. Then there's the problem of differences between sect and cult, and the spectrum of the historical, mainstream, and orthodox. The restorationist movement is where the Church of Christ, the Adventists, the Brethren, the Dispensationalists, as well as the JWs and LDS began. Each taught the need to restore the Church. Each taught the need to restore the Church was corrupt (this alone was a radical departure from long-standing Chruch doctrine). Each taught the need to restore the Church because the Church was corrupt, and Jesus was soon returning (which did not happen). Each sect elevated ecclesiology and eschatology over previously preeminent Church doctrines and redefined theology. Each of them also defined "restoration" based on their theology and doctrines and their eisegetic reading of scripture.

Every single one of them.

The FACT of the New Testament is the Church was messy back then.

Anyone reading the letters to Corinth, Ephesus, and Galatia, or James' epistle cannot claim the Church was perfect. The Church was diverse, and its congregants had many ideas how things should be run, and institutionally the Church was just beginning to form and iron out its doctrines. It took 400 years for the Church to iron out its doctrines. The doctrine of the Trinity, for example, was not formalized until well into the 4th century. Many heresies existed. Many heresies existed so we would NOT want to return to a first century Church where such a condition existed!. The SDA claim the restored Church didn't eat shellfish or pork. The CoC, Brethren, and Dispies will disagree. The Brethren will emphasize Pietism. So what was really going on is that each sect said the Chruch needed to be restored to their version of the NT era Church and not an objective view based on what the NT actually states. One last point: Most of the restorationists were Reformed in their basic doctrines, especially soteriology but as experientialism spread the synergist influences became more prominent because they say the sinner's will is instrumentally causal before salvation. In the extreme there are sects like the Pentecostal and Assembly of God sects that say a person isn't saved unless and untill s/he has experienced the "second blessing," or indwelling of the Holy Spirit (as they teach their version of it).

So, although there are very real and serious problems within the Roman Catholic Church, I will respectfully suggest the "Restorationists," are the least likely to represent the New Testament era Church. There is a CARM member who disagrees with me and believes RCCism a much worse example and much more dangerous to the Church so I will let him offer his views if and when he arrives at this thread.

The New Testament Church was messy. It had a man sleeping with his father's wife, Nicolaitans, Gnostics, and converted female priests from the pagans cults asserting their influence, and the seeds of sectarianism. In spite of these and other problems, the author of the epistles treated their audience as if they were, in fact, members of Christ's body. They drew distinctions between division and divisiveness (something the 19th century restorationists failed to grasp), and on most occasions when discharge from the community of believers was recommended it was taught as a means of salvation :cautious::unsure:?.

1 Corinthians 5:5
It is actually reported that there is sexual immorality among you, and sexual immorality of such a kind as does not exist even among the Gentiles, namely, that someone has his father’s wife. 2 You have become arrogant and have not mourned instead, so that the one who had done this deed would be removed from your midst. 3 For I, on my part, though absent in body but present in spirit, have already judged him who has so committed this, as though I were present. 4 In the name of our Lord Jesus, when you are assembled, and [d]I with you in spirit, with the power of our Lord Jesus, 5 I have decided to turn such a person over to Satan for the destruction of his body, so that his spirit may be saved on the day of the Lord.

Hand him over to satan so that his spirit may be saved. Saved, not destroyed. Satan as a means of salvation? Yep. That's what it actually says.

I almost forgot. Some, not all, also teach a different satan than the one taught in scripture. This is partly an extension of the bad ecclesiology they hold (the Church is corrupt) combined with the bad eschatology the hold (the Church will fail in its commission and mission, the world will spiral into depravity, the Church will become impotent and need rescuing and removal from the earth). In this theology satan is an ominous being, the "ruler of the air."

So, again, my vote will place the Protestants above the Catholics and the Catholics above the Restorationists, even though the Restorationists are Protestant. They get placed at the bottom for a number of reasons but mostly because of the abject failure to do what they said they'd do: restore the Church. They are, paradoxically, the singles greatest obstacle to such a restoration (assuming one is needed) because they radically depart from long-held well-established Christian thought, doctrine, and practice. The differences are so severe in some cases that if what they believe is true then Christianity never existed and 18-20 centuries of Christendom has been wrong all along.

Happy to provide more details for those still interested.

As a Catholic, we don't believe we are a denomination since that term started around the sixteenth century to reflect a separation. We believe the early church was Catholic [universal] and had a hierarchy.

BY the RCC, yet the RC was the first breakaway group. It broke away and decided to become a political religion.

Reactions: Mik
I will start with The Church and Peter/Rome....

The Martyrdom of Polycarp

When finally he concluded his prayer, after remembering all who had at any time come his way – small folk and great folk, distinguished and undistinguished, and the whole Catholic Church throughout the world – the time for departure came. So they placed him on an ass, and brought him into the city on a great Sabbath (The Martyrdom of Polycarp 8 [A.D. 110]).

Irenaeus

The Catholic Church possesses one and the same faith throughout the whole world, as we have already said (Against Heresies 1:10 [A.D. 189]).

Clement of Rome

Accept our counsel and you will have nothing to regret. . . . If anyone disobeys the things which have been said by him [Jesus] through us, let them know that they will involve themselves in no small danger. We, however, shall be innocent of this sin and will pray with entreaty and supplication that the Creator of all may keep unharmed the number of his elect (Letter to the Corinthians 58:2, 59:1[A.D. 95]).

Ignatius of Antioch

You [the See of Rome] have envied no one, but others have you taught. I desire only that what you have enjoined in your instructions may remain in force (Epistle to the Romans 3:1 [A.D. 110]).

Irenaeus

But since it would be too long to enumerate in such a volume as this the succession of all the churches, we shall confound all those who, in whatever manner, whether through self-satisfaction or vainglory, or through blindness and wicked opinion, assemble other than where it is proper, by pointing out here the successions of the bishops of the greatest and most ancient church known to all, founded and organized at Rome by the two most glorious apostles. Peter and Paul, that church which has the tradition and the faith which comes down to us after having been announced to men by the apostles. With that church, because of its superior origin, all the churches must agree, that is, all the faithful in the whole world, and it is in her that the faithful everywhere have maintained the apostolic tradition (Against Heresies 3:3:2 [A.D. 189]).
Peter would not have anything to do with the RCC at all.

First I would start with scripture and consider the scriptural tests. The leaders MUST meet the scriptural leadership requirements.
Then it should look like the real church as described in scripture.
Next its teachings must be scriptural.
Followed by its must practice what it teaches. Its actions speak.

We are to discern, judge and test the leaders and must never blindly follow them.

I would add keep your eyes on Jesus never divert them. He is the one to follow not a denomination.

Thanks!
Why do Christians deliberately ignore history BEFORE the second -fourth century CE? Christianity did not start then. It goes all the way back to the first and second century BC. when Jewish Christians were celebrating the sacraments of baptism and the Lord’s Supper and called themselves “The Way”. Scholars have characterized them as the early gnostic Christians which also existed later in the first century CE. Therefore, your research is missing a big part of Christian history if it fails to include gnostic Christians as a major sect of Christianity, arguably, the original Jewish-Christians. See Prechristian literature found in the Dead Sea Scrolls, Philo, and Nag Hammadi.

Why do Christians deliberately ignore history BEFORE the second -fourth century CE? Christianity did not start then. It goes all the way back to the first and second century BC. when Jewish Christians were celebrating the sacraments of baptism and the Lord’s Supper and called themselves “The Way”. Scholars have characterized them as the early gnostic Christians which also existed later in the first century CE. Therefore, your research is missing a big part of Christian history if it fails to include gnostic Christians as a major sect of Christianity, arguably, the original Jewish-Christians. See Prechristian literature found in the Dead Sea Scrolls, Philo, and Nag Hammadi.
Actually it started 6000 years ago with Adam, he was the first to know God and become like Him, Gen 3:22. Jesus becoming like Him as well in Matt 3:16 and was noting new. Adam was Gods first Church, not Jesus.

Gods church is exactly like Him, not the laws of man made religious beliefs. These denominations are nothing more than for enterprise. God pulled Jesus out from the Jewish denomination to become like Him in Matt 3:16, instead of these denominations that are of law instead of being like the God of it as He commands of us all to have His same mind instead of the minds of all these belief systems designed for enterprise. There isn't a preacher out there that doesnt seek the rich man that I ever met, and I have met a gaggle of them.

Well, obviously Catholics are in their own category. Lutherans are the original Protestants. I'm not too familiar with Restorationists, and the closest sect I can think of that would fit that word would be the Jehovah's Witnesses.

Thanks!
That's an interesting inquiry because most Christian sects see themselves as the "pure and original" Christians. Seeing that the early Christians believed that the end was nigh and they lived as if it would happen any time, I'd say any sect that focuses on eschatology would be like them. The Millerites might be that sect.

Most Roman Catholics describe their sect as "the one true church" that was founded directly by Jesus. For example, they claim Peter was the first Pope! Such claims I think are hogwash because the Roman Catholic Church as we know it today wasn't really established until long after the New Testament was written.

Most Roman Catholics describe their sect as "the one true church" that was founded directly by Jesus. For example, they claim Peter was the first Pope! Such claims I think are hogwash because the Roman Catholic Church as we know it today wasn't really established until long after the New Testament was written.
All denominations do the same, just different laws to govern their enterprises.

Arch Stanton said:

So do all denominations do the same. Mormons, Muslims, Baptists, you name it all have the truth -- just ask them LOL

Many very early Christians would seem ignorant to us today. They really did not have access to the NT Scriptures as we freely do today.
Because of that factor God did not require of them as much as He demands of us today in order to overcome the evils we all face today.

But the one who does not know and does things deserving punishment
will be beaten with few blows. From everyone who has been given much,
much will be demanded; and from the one who has been entrusted with
much, much more will be asked." Luke 12:48​

Our generation God demands much more than He did the first years of the Church.

Though we have been given much (which remains hidden to the carnal) and many can have it if they would walk in the Spirit, only a few will fulfill it.

Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road
that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. But small is the gate
and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it." Mat 7:14​

We have too many flesh catering denominations today. The choices have become broad and wide.
The early church had it very simple. God only required that much of them.

From everyone who has been given much, much will be demanded; and from
the one who has been entrusted with much, much more will be asked."

Its why we see all the insane woke agendas today able to be taking control.....

More understanding and depth of insight is being required of our generation than ever before.
We can not return to the simplicity of the past generations and wish to live as they did.

For over time evil is like a virus that mutates and finds new ways to destroy and take over.
We today need to understand much more than what was required of the early church....

Few are going to find what is needed for today's evils to be overcome while many believers seek for a church to pamper their own way of wanting to see things.

Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road
that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. But small is the gate
and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it." Mat 7:14​

All we need has been provided for. We simply need to deny self, take up our own cross... and follow when its given.
Many will refuse...............

grace and peace .........

Actually it started 6000 years ago with Adam, he was the first to know God and become like Him, Gen 3:22. Jesus becoming like Him as well in Matt 3:16 and was noting new. Adam was Gods first Church, not Jesus.
Dude, you are unable to distinguish between myth and reality. There was no Adam six thousand years ago.

Reality
Dead Sea Scrolls
Philo
Essenes (The Way)

Gods church is exactly like Him, not the laws of man made religious beliefs. These denominations are nothing more than for enterprise. God pulled Jesus out from the Jewish denomination to become like Him in Matt 3:16, instead of these denominations that are of law instead of being like the God of it as He commands of us all to have His same mind instead of the minds of all these belief systems designed for enterprise. There isn't a preacher out there that doesnt seek the rich man that I ever met, and I have met a gaggle of them.
You are completely lost and give gnostic Christians a bad name.

Back