Which Generation?

robycop3

Mostly to the generation of His time, with some references to future ones, such as the one that'll see all the eschatological prophecies fulfilled.

SovereignGrace

Which Generation was Jesus speaking to in Matthew, Mark, and Luke? Jesus is quoted 28 times in those books using the Word "Generation"...
The generation He was living in. And no, I’m not a full preterist. I’m partial. Funny you bring this up as I’m preaching about the destruction of the temple tomorrow night using Matthew 24.

SovereignGrace

Mostly to the generation of His time, with some references to future ones, such as the one that'll see all the eschatological prophecies fulfilled.
Not mostly. There is nowhere in the Olivet Discourse that has Him speaking of “this generation” then jumping to a generation that hasn’t even come yet.

Reformedguy

The prophesied events will be quite-obvious to whoever sees them. And the generation living while Jesus was here wouldn't know anything about future generations.
Given audience relevance and the text in question, how would those Christ was speaking to know what was relevant to them and what was not?

robycop3

Not mostly. There is nowhere in the Olivet Discourse that has Him speaking of “this generation” then jumping to a generation that hasn’t even come yet.
...Except after the destruction of J & the temple, none of the other prophesied events occurred in that generation, nor in any other one since then.

robycop3

Given audience relevance and the text in question, how would those Christ was speaking to know what was relevant to them and what was not?
By whether the prophesied events occurred or not. The only ones that occurred in that generation was the destruction of J & the temple.

robycop3

How would they have known some were going to be at least 2000 years into the future?
They didn't, and it didn't matter anyway, as the only ones that will affect them are, for the Christians, being called out of paradise by Jesus at the rapture, or being brought out of 'torments' at the Great White Throne judgment.

SovereignGrace

...Except after the destruction of J & the temple, none of the other prophesied events occurred in that generation, nor in any other one since then.
Nowhere in the Olivet Discourse is there a lapse in timing. ALL OF IT was fulfilled in AD 70. Look at the times in the OT the day of the Lord was used as language of judgment upon a nation. There are a few times of “Him coming in the clouds” but that was apocalyptic language used to describe His coming judgment upon that particular nation.

Draw near, O nations, to hear; and listen, O peoples!
Let the earth and all it contains hear, and the world and all that springs from it. For the Lord’s indignation is against all the nations,
And His wrath against all their armies;
He has utterly destroyed them,
He has given them over to slaughter. So their slain will be thrown out,
And their corpses will give off their stench,
And the mountains will be drenched with their blood. And all the host of heaven will wear away,
And the sky will be rolled up like a scroll;
All their hosts will also wither away
As a leaf withers from the vine,
Or as one withers from the fig tree. For My sword is satiated in heaven,
Behold it shall descend for judgment upon Edom
And upon the people whom I have devoted to destruction. The sword of the Lord is filled with blood,
It is sated with fat, with the blood of lambs and goats,
With the fat of the kidneys of rams.
For the Lord has a sacrifice in Bozrah
And a great slaughter in the land of Edom. Wild oxen will also fall with them
And young bulls with strong ones;
Thus their land will be soaked with blood,
And their dust become greasy with fat. For the Lord has a day of vengeance,
A year of recompense for the cause of Zion.
[Isaiah 34:1-8]

The sky did not literally roll up like a scroll, and that same apocalyptic language is used in Revelation 6:14.

“And when I extinguish you,
I will cover the heavens and darken their stars;
I will cover the sun with a cloud
And the moon will not give its light. “All the shining lights in the heavens
I will darken over you
And will set darkness on your land,”
Declares the Lord God.
[Ezekiel 32:7-8]

Again, this is apocalyptic language used to express God’s impending judgment upon a nation(Egypt).

Behold, the day of the Lord is coming,
Cruel, with fury and burning anger,
To make the land a desolation;
And He will exterminate its sinners from it. For the stars of heaven and their constellations
Will not flash forth their light;
The sun will be dark when it rises
And the moon will not shed its light. Thus I will punish the world for its evil
And the wicked for their iniquity;
I will also put an end to the arrogance of the proud
And abase the haughtiness of the ruthless. I will make mortal man scarcer than pure gold
And mankind than the gold of Ophir. Therefore I will make the heavens tremble,
And the earth will be shaken from its place
At the fury of the Lord of hosts
In the day of His burning anger. And it will be that like a hunted gazelle,
Or like sheep with none to gather them,
They will each turn to his own people,
And each one flee to his own land. Anyone who is found will be thrust through,
And anyone who is captured will fall by the sword. Their little ones also will be dashed to pieces
Before their eyes;
Their houses will be plundered
And their wives ravished.
[Isaiah 13:9-16]

Again, another clear reference to judgment coming upon a nation(Babylon) and apocalyptic language was used. The same apocalyptic language used in the Olivet Discourse.

SovereignGrace

The oracle concerning Egypt.
Behold, the Lord is riding on a swift cloud and is about to come to Egypt;
The idols of Egypt will tremble at His presence,
And the heart of the Egyptians will melt within them. “So I will incite Egyptians against Egyptians;
And they will each fight against his brother and each against his neighbor,
City against city and kingdom against kingdom. “Then the spirit of the Egyptians will be demoralized within them;
And I will confound their strategy,
So that they will resort to idols and ghosts of the dead
And to mediums and spiritists. “Moreover, I will deliver the Egyptians into the hand of a cruel master,
And a mighty king will rule over them,” declares the Lord God of hosts.
[Isaiah 19:1:1-4]

Did He literally come on a cloud here or is this apocalyptic language used by Isaiah to describe impending judgment upon the nation of Egypt? It was the latter.