Which Generation?

SovereignGrace

When He mentions things that haven't happened yet.
Like exactly what?

“But when you see Jerusalem surrounded by armies, then recognize that her desolation is near. Then those who are in Judea must flee to the mountains, and those who are in the midst of the city must leave, and those who are in the country must not enter the city; because these are days of vengeance, so that all things which are written will be fulfilled.[Luke 21:20-22]

Fulfilled in AD 70.

Woe to those who are pregnant and to those who are nursing babies in those days; for there will be great distress upon the land and wrath to this people; and they will fall by the edge of the sword, and will be led captive into all the nations; and Jerusalem will be trampled under foot by the Gentiles until the times of the Gentiles are fulfilled.[vss 23-24]

Fulfilled in AD 70.

“There will be signs in sun and moon and stars, and on the earth dismay among nations, in perplexity at the roaring of the sea and the waves, men fainting from fear and the expectation of the things which are coming upon the world; for the powers of the heavens will be shaken. Then they will see the Son of Man coming in a cloud with power and great glory. But when these things begin to take place, straighten up and lift up your heads, because your redemption is drawing near.”[vss 25-28]

Fulfilled in AD 70, as there is nothing in this discourse that even alludes to a changing in when all this is to take place. I showed you a few places in the OT that used this exact apocalyptic language and that didn’t mean He literally came in the cloud. Just like one time it said the heavens would roll up like a scroll, but that didn’t literally happen.

Then He told them a parable: “Behold the fig tree and all the trees; as soon as they put forth leaves, you see it and know for yourselves that summer is now near. So you also, when you see these things happening, recognize that the kingdom of God is near. Truly I say to you, this generation will not pass away until all things take place. Heaven and earth will pass away, but My words will not pass away.[vss 29-33]

Here He gave the example of the fig tree sprouting her leaves. When they would see them, they knew summer was near. And when they, “this generation”, saw those things He just told them was going to happen, the kingdom of God is near. As He told them, ”Truly I say to you, this generation will not pass away until all things take place.”

robycop3

Like exactly what?

“But when you see Jerusalem surrounded by armies, then recognize that her desolation is near. Then those who are in Judea must flee to the mountains, and those who are in the midst of the city must leave, and those who are in the country must not enter the city; because these are days of vengeance, so that all things which are written will be fulfilled.[Luke 21:20-22]

Fulfilled in AD 70.

Woe to those who are pregnant and to those who are nursing babies in those days; for there will be great distress upon the land and wrath to this people; and they will fall by the edge of the sword, and will be led captive into all the nations; and Jerusalem will be trampled under foot by the Gentiles until the times of the Gentiles are fulfilled.[vss 23-24]
So far, so good. That was the "days of vengeance".
Fulfilled in AD 70.

“There will be signs in sun and moon and stars, and on the earth dismay among nations, in perplexity at the roaring of the sea and the waves, men fainting from fear and the expectation of the things which are coming upon the world; for the powers of the heavens will be shaken. Then they will see the Son of Man coming in a cloud with power and great glory. But when these things begin to take place, straighten up and lift up your heads, because your redemption is drawing near.”[vss 25-28]

Fulfilled in AD 70, as there is nothing in this discourse that even alludes to a changing in when all this is to take place. I showed you a few places in the OT that used this exact apocalyptic language and that didn’t mean He literally came in the cloud. Just like one time it said the heavens would roll up like a scroll, but that didn’t literally happen.

Then He told them a parable: “Behold the fig tree and all the trees; as soon as they put forth leaves, you see it and know for yourselves that summer is now near. So you also, when you see these things happening, recognize that the kingdom of God is near. Truly I say to you, this generation will not pass away until all things take place. Heaven and earth will pass away, but My words will not pass away.[vss 29-33]

Here He gave the example of the fig tree sprouting her leaves. When they would see them, they knew summer was near. And when they, “this generation”, saw those things He just told them was going to happen, the kingdom of God is near. As He told them, ”Truly I say to you, this generation will not pass away until all things take place.”
MMRRPP ! WRONG !
Jesus has NOT yet returned, which is quite-obvious. The world is basically the same as it was in 65 AD.

You CANNOT show us from history when those events occurred. They would NOT have been missed in history, and Jesus would still physically be here. Remember, He said His return will be seen by ALL ! Not to mention He will take over the rule of the world & toss the beast & false prophet alive into hell.

What's the next tall tale you're gonna te;ll us-that the Josephus saw a cow jump over the moon, or a pig roller-skating?

Not trying to be smart-aleck, but you need some EDUCATION about Scripture & history. You showed us you're lacking in Scriptural knowledge by believing all Israelis were/are Jews, despite scores of Scriptural passages that say otherwise, and a lack of knowledge of history by saying certain events have occurred, which are found nowhere in the recorded history of any people.

Once again...you CANNOT show us from history where/when the antichrist & false prophet have come, the great trib has occurred, the marka the beast was issued, and especially when Jesus returned & was seen by ALL.

You need to toss all the pret garbage you've read or listened to, as it's completely-false, & STUDY YOUR BIBLE & a good set of encyclopediae & other works of history. Those goofy prets such as Preston or Gentry are just out to make a buck off the gullible.

SovereignGrace

@robycop3

I didn’t say Jesus literally returned in the cloud in AD 70. Him coming in the cloud in Luke 21 was apocalyptic language that was also used in OT scripture.

robycop3

@robycop3

I didn’t say Jesus literally returned in the cloud in AD 70. Him coming in the cloud in Luke 21 was apocalyptic language that was also used in OT scripture.
Typical pret excuse. Phony as a football pitcher's mound.

Again, not trying to be smart-aleck, & with all due respect, your knowledge of Scripture is abysmal.

SovereignGrace

Typical pret excuse. Phony as a football pitcher's mound.

Again, not trying to be smart-aleck, & with all due respect, your knowledge of Scripture is abysmal.
Instead of addressing the subject you call my knowledge abysmal. Seeing that dispy doctrine wasn’t taught systematically until the 1830’s to call mine knowledge abysmal is laughable.

SovereignGrace

Jesus came out from the temple and was going away when His disciples came up to point out the temple buildings to Him. And He said to them, “Do you not see all these things? Truly I say to you, not one stone here will be left upon another, which will not be torn down.” As He was sitting on the Mount of Olives, the disciples came to Him privately, saying, “Tell us, when will these things happen, and what will be the sign of Your coming, and of the end of the age?”[Matthew 24:1-3]

A lot of confusion has come from the KJV translators’ usage of ‘world’ for aion which means ‘age’ not ‘world’. Back in Matthew 23:35 Jesus said, ”so that upon you may fall the guilt of all the righteous blood shed on earth, from the blood of righteous Abel to the blood of Zechariah, the son of Berechiah, whom you murdered between the temple and the altar.” We see this fulfilled in Matthew 27:25 when they said, ”His blood shall be on us and on our children!” He then says this ”Truly I say to you, all these things will come upon this generation.” All that was fulfilled in that ‘this generation’. He also says “this generation” in Matthew 24:34 about all that would happen to Jerusalem and especially the temple in AD 70. So, how could “this generation” in Matthew 24:35 be fulfilled in “this generation”, but “this generation” in Matthew 24:34 means “this generation” in the future, millennia away from when Christ prophesied concerning it? Remember, Him coming in the cloud was also mentioned in Matthew 24:30, obviously prior to 24:34. So, why is it “this generation“ in 23:35, but not “this generation“ in 24:34?

What about Mark 8:12? Sighing deeply in His spirit, He said, “Why does this generation seek for a sign? Truly I say to you, no sign will be given to this generation.” So I guess this generation in this verse is a future generation?

How about Luke 7:31? “To what then shall I compare the men of this generation, and what are they like?” Is this generation a future generation?

Luke 11:29? As the crowds were increasing, He began to say, “This generation is a wicked generation; it seeks for a sign, and yet no sign will be given to it but the sign of Jonah.” A future this generation?

Luke 11:30–32? ”For just as Jonah became a sign to the Ninevites, so will the Son of Man be to this generation. The Queen of the South will rise up with the men of this generation at the judgment and condemn them, because she came from the ends of the earth to hear the wisdom of Solomon; and behold, something greater than Solomon is here. The men of Nineveh will stand up with this generation at the judgment and condemn it, because they repented at the preaching of Jonah; and behold, something greater than Jonah is here.” Is this generation a future generation?

Luke 17:25? ”But first He must suffer many things and be rejected by this generation.” Is this a future generation, too?

SovereignGrace

@robycop3

It is up to you to find even one verse that has “this generation“ in it that actually refers to a future generation and not “this generation“, as in the generation in which that verse was written in. I can find none at all, from Genesis through Revelation.

robycop3

Instead of addressing the subject you call my knowledge abysmal. Seeing that dispy doctrine wasn’t taught systematically until the 1830’s to call mine knowledge abysmal is laughable.
YOU questioned why all Israelis aren't Jews, a FACT plainly indicated in Scripture. A simplt bible-reading & PAYING ATTENTION to what you were reading woulda told you that.

And I never said I was a dispy, a name prets use for anyone who rejects their trash.

robycop3

@robycop3

It is up to you to find even one verse that has “this generation“ in it that actually refers to a future generation and not “this generation“, as in the generation in which that verse was written in. I can find none at all, from Genesis through Revelation.
'Tis COMMON SENSE that the prophesied eschatological events did NOT occur in THAT generation, nor in any afterwards, so far.

If you believe they have, can you show us from history when/where they did, in that generation, besides the destruction of J & the temple ? can you tell us the names of the beast & the false prophet? Can you describe the marka the beast? Can you tell us when every living thing in the Mediterranean Sea died, & when it became as the blood of a dead man?

I have Encyclopaedia Britannica, Collier's, & World Book encyclopediae, and eleven Bible versions before me to check your answers.

SovereignGrace

'Tis COMMON SENSE that the prophesied eschatological events did NOT occur in THAT generation, nor in any afterwards, so far.

If you believe they have, can you show us from history when/where they did, in that generation, besides the destruction of J & the temple ? can you tell us the names of the beast & the false prophet? Can you describe the marka the beast? Can you tell us when every living thing in the Mediterranean Sea died, & when it became as the blood of a dead man?

I have Encyclopaedia Britannica, Collier's, & World Book encyclopediae, and eleven Bible versions before me to check your answers.
Well, I’ve stated my case, gave plenty of scripture to show the readers on here and maybe even to those who read these posts as ‘guest’ and I will leave it up to them to decide who has stated the more Bible interpretation of Matthew. TBS, I am bowing out of this thread. See y’all in other threads.

robycop3

Well, I’ve stated my case, gave plenty of scripture to show the readers on here and maybe even to those who read these posts as ‘guest’ and I will leave it up to them to decide who has stated the more Bible interpretation of Matthew. TBS, I am bowing out of this thread. See y’all in other threads.
In other words, you're STUMPED. You CANNOT show us when the events in discussion have occurred, for the simple reason they HAVEN'T occurred yet. So, you're gonna exit-Stage Right rather than admit preterism is false, & the generation that'll see all those events hasn't yet come, unless it's the present one that'll see'em later.

robycop3

In other words, you're STUMPED. You CANNOT show us when the events in discussion have occurred, for the simple reason they HAVEN'T occurred yet. So, you're gonna exit-Stage Right rather than admit preterism is false, & the generation that'll see all those events hasn't yet come, unless it's the present one that'll see'em later.
Other Readers, please read Matt. 24 CAREFULLY, as well as Luke 21 & Rev. 13 & 16, to decide for yourselves if the events mentioned in them have occurred yet, except for the destruction of jerusalem & the temple, war & rumor of war, prevalence of sinfulness, etc. The rebuilt Jerusalem is still being trod underfoot by gentiles. But the beast/antichrist has not come, the great trib, which will be WORLDWIDE, hasn't occurred, nor has the mark of the beast been issued, and, CERTAINLY, JESUS HASN'T YET RETURNED !

Preterism remains false; NO historical evidence supports it at all.

SovereignGrace

No, I’m not STUMPED as you put it. I showed you the apocalyptic language used in other passages that referred to judgment coming a particular language such as the heavens rolling up as a scroll, but that did not literally happen. Then the sun, moon, and stars not shining their lights(paraphrased that) as a sign of impending judgment upon a particular nation.

You’re just wrapped up in the futurist view tighter than a banjo string. Good bye.

robycop3

No, I’m not STUMPED as you put it. I showed you the apocalyptic language used in other passages that referred to judgment coming a particular language such as the heavens rolling up as a scroll, but that did not literally happen. Then the sun, moon, and stars not shining their lights(paraphrased that) as a sign of impending judgment upon a particular nation.

You’re just wrapped up in the futurist view tighter than a banjo string. Good bye.
Yes, you're STUMPED. You can't show us any of those events from history, so you're bailing, rather than admitting preterism is false.

"Apocalyptic, figurative, or symbolic language" is a pret excuse to try to cover up the fact that the prophesied events HAVE NOT yet occurred.