Which Kjv is the correct versions, and which TR greek text?

logos1560

Cambridge is the original printer of the Authorized Version by King James' decree. They have been doing it for 400 years.

Cambridge was not the original printer of the 1611 KJV. The king's printer in London was the original printer of the 1611 KJV. Cambridge University Press did not print its first KJV edition until 1629.

In 2011, Cambridge University Press was printing at least six varying editions of the KJV.

YeshuaFan

Cambridge was not the original printer of the 1611 KJV. The king's printer in London was the original printer of the 1611 KJV. Cambridge University Press did not print its first KJV edition until 1629.

In 2011, Cambridge University Press was printing at least six varying editions of the KJV.
Is their 1873 Kjv editiion still regarded as the "best" one?

Shoonra

The Cambridge Paragraph Bible of 1873 included a very thorough bibliographic history of the KJV text, written by editor F.H.A. Scrivener, and had 16 pages of small print listing all (or most) of its departures/corrections to the 1611 edition. It also improved the style of the 1611 edition, which had presented each verse as a separate paragraph, by gathering sentences together in coherent paragraphs. It's possible to buy reproductions of the 1873 edition (some with Scrivener's history included, and many with the Apocrypha included). A more recent paragraph edition of the KJV is the 2006 Penguin paperback, with Apocrypha, edited by David Norton -- however, the Penguin edition has no marginal notes nor cross-references, nor does it use italic type to distinguish words inserted by the KJV translators.

Last edited:

YeshuaFan

The Cambridge Paragraph Bible of 1873 included a very thorough bibliographic history of the KJV text, written by editor F.H.A. Scrivener, and had 16 pages of small print listing all (or most) of its departures/corrections to the 1611 edition. It also improved the style of the 1611 edition, which had presented each verse as a separate paragraph, by gathering sentences together in coherent paragraphs. It's possible to buy reproductions of the 1873 edition (some with Scrivener's history included, and many with the Apocrypha included). A more recent paragraph edition of the KJV is the 2006 Penguin paperback, with Apocrypha, edited by David Norton -- however, the Penguin edition has no marginal notes nor cross-references, nor does it use italic type to distinguish words inserted by the KJV translators.
Were there any Kjv editions based upon Scrivners 1894 Greek tewxt, aas thought Zondervan had some for awhile?

Shoonra

Ummm, I am not sure what Scrivener's 1894 Greek text you are referencing.
There is the 1884 revised edition of his Greek According to the text underlying the Authorised Version, which was the basis (I think) of the NKJV and the KJV2. Jay Green puiblished an interlinear edition of the TBS reprint of that.
There are several editions (possibly one issued in 1894) of his Greek According to Stephanus 1550, which was a TR edition, and I honestly don't know of an English version based on any edition of that (but I am sure some will one-up me on that).

Woody50

Two likes for Shoonra and YeshuaFan. I've absolutely no idea what you're talking about, as it's way above my head. I do like, however, two nerds talking about Scripture. I'm still working on understanding it, but keep talking. I may fall asleep, but I cannot imagine a better way to slip into a dream--thinking about the written Logos.

Keep it up. Zzzz....

YeshuaFan

Ummm, I am not sure what Scrivener's 1894 Greek text you are referencing.
There is the 1884 revised edition of his Greek According to the text underlying the Authorised Version, which was the basis (I think) of the NKJV and the KJV2. Jay Green puiblished an interlinear edition of the TBS reprint of that.
There are several editions (possibly one issued in 1894) of his Greek According to Stephanus 1550, which was a TR edition, and I honestly don't know of an English version based on any edition of that (but I am sure some will one-up me on that).
This one

Shoonra

I am very sorry but I cannot identify this "1894" Greek NT and I do not understand what is meant by "UTF8".

I would guess it is the "text underlying the Authorised Version" edition, without any of the marginalia.

YeshuaFan

I am very sorry but I cannot identify this "1894" Greek NT and I do not understand what is meant by "UTF8".

I would guess it is the "text underlying the Authorised Version" edition, without any of the marginalia.
Its considered by KJVO to be the "best" greek text!

Shoonra

Going thru the World Catalogue, I found an edition of Scrivener's Greek NT according to ... Authorised Version that was issued in 1894. I have no clue as to what makes this special but it might have been his last attempt at revising/correcting this text. So I stick with my earlier guess.

YeshuaFan

Going thru the World Catalogue, I found an edition of Scrivener's Greek NT according to ... Authorised Version that was issued in 1894. I have no clue as to what makes this special but it might have been his last attempt at revising/correcting this text. So I stick with my earlier guess.
Is regarded as being THE definitive TR greek text!

Shoonra

1894 turns out to be the second edition of the Greek NT according to ... Authorised Version.

https://archive.org/details/newtestamentinor00scri/page/n5/mode/2up

The second edition put TR readings that the 1881 RV omitted in "spaced type", where the first edition used bold type; spaced type is not so easy to spot. There are facsimile copies for sale, as the 1891-1894 edition had marginalia showing the variants in the RV and a substantial appendix showing many variants among ten significant TR editions.

YeshuaFan

1894 turns out to be the second edition of the Greek NT according to ... Authorised Version.

https://archive.org/details/newtestamentinor00scri/page/n5/mode/2up

The second edition put TR readings that the 1881 RV omitted in "spaced type", where the first edition used bold type; spaced type is not so easy to spot. There are facsimile copies for sale, as the 1891-1894 edition had marginalia showing the variants in the RV and a substantial appendix showing many variants among ten significant TR editions.
This should be the TR for those holding to KJVO, just wondering if any Kjv edition used that for source text?

Shoonra

A KJV edition would not have used any Greek edition as its source text, since it would be based on the English KJV.
But Scrivener's Greek NT of 1894 was used for some new translations such as NKJV and KJV2.

YeshuaFan

A KJV edition would not have used any Greek edition as its source text, since it would be based on the English KJV.
But Scrivener's Greek NT of 1894 was used for some new translations such as NKJV and KJV2.
That would be why they would be more accurate!