Who are Jews?

I'm not sure what translation you're using, but nahar is river. Mabul would be flood.

Genesis already established that Abraham came from a home where other gods were worshipped. But, he broke from that.

It is the King James which translates הנהר (ὁ ῥόος) into "of the flood". מבול (πλημυρίς) doesn't appear in that verse.

I'm not sure what translation you're using, but nahar is river. Mabul would be flood.

Genesis already established that Abraham came from a home where other gods were worshipped. But, he broke from that.

The patriarchs worshipped many gods.

Zeus (Genesis 35:11)
Helios Hyperion (Genesis 14:18)
Apollo (Genesis 31:42)

Gen 31:42
Except the God of my father, the God of Abraham, and the fear of Isaac,

Gen 31:53
Jacob sware by the fear of his father Isaac.

There is an obvious problem with these readings in the King James. The Vulgate of Gen 31:53 reads "Jacob per Timorem patris sui Isaac". Here the
word Timorem is a proper-noun, the Septuagint as ὁ φόβος (Gen 31:34) τοῦ φόβου (Gen 31:53).

Phobos (Φόβος) personified, as son of Ares, In Roman mythology, he has also been referred to as Pavor or Terror

Did Isaac and Jacob worship Phobos?

The Hebrew פחד is φόβος but also the similarly written φοῖβος, an epithet of Apollo

Hippocrates, Jusjurandum 1 c. 460 – c. 370 BC
I SWEAR by Apollo the physician, and Aesculapius, and Health, and All-heal
ὄμνυμι Ἀπόλλωνα ἰητρὸν καὶ Ἀσκληπιὸν καὶ Ὑγείαν καὶ Πανάκειαν

Note. The 1st century AD Pool of Bethesda, described in the Gospel of John was found by archaeologists in 1964 to be part of an asclepeion

Gen 31:42
Except the God of my father, the God of Abraham, and the fear of Isaac,

Gen 31:53
Jacob sware by the fear of his father Isaac.

There is an obvious problem with these readings in the King James. The Vulgate of Gen 31:53 reads "Jacob per Timorem patris sui Isaac". Here the
word Timorem is a proper-noun, the Septuagint as ὁ φόβος (Gen 31:34) τοῦ φόβου (Gen 31:53).

Phobos (Φόβος) personified, as son of Ares, In Roman mythology, he has also been referred to as Pavor or Terror

Did Isaac and Jacob worship Phobos?

The Hebrew פחד is φόβος but also the similarly written φοῖβος, an epithet of Apollo

Hippocrates, Jusjurandum 1 c. 460 – c. 370 BC
I SWEAR by Apollo the physician, and Aesculapius, and Health, and All-heal
ὄμνυμι Ἀπόλλωνα ἰητρὸν καὶ Ἀσκληπιὸν καὶ Ὑγείαν καὶ Πανάκειαν

Note. The 1st century AD Pool of Bethesda, described in the Gospel of John was found by archaeologists in 1964 to be part of an asclepeion
Jews don't care about the KJV.

You're wasting everyone's time.

Well Jewish readings have "Then Ya`akov swore by the fear of his father, Yitzchak.",

"swore by the fear" makes no sense whatsoever

Some translations capitalise the word Fear

NKJV - Jacob swore by the Fear of his father Isaac.
NIV - So Jacob took an oath in the name of the Fear of his father Isaac.
VUL - Iacob per Timorem patris sui Isaac

Job 40:17 גידי פחדו "blood vessels of his thigh"

In this verse, פחד is ἐπιγουνίδος (epigounidos) ; part above the knee, great muscle of the thigh. The Arabic cognate
is فَخِذ or فَخْذ (faḵiḏ or faḵḏ) "thigh" .

Genesis 31:42 - פחד יצחק = Φοῖβος Ἰσάκου "Isaac's bright-one"

Some translations capitalise the word Fear

NKJV - Jacob swore by the Fear of his father Isaac.
NIV - So Jacob took an oath in the name of the Fear of his father Isaac.
VUL - Iacob per Timorem patris sui Isaac
Yeah that would be a mistake.

Back