Who are the angels of God really told to worship at the birth of Jesus in Hebrews 1:6?

Notice, in every place where the writer of Hebrews wants to compare the angels to Jesus, he uses passages from the OT to do so such as Psalm 2:7 and 2 Samuel 7:14 and Psalm 45:6-7.

However not in Hebrews 1:6, " Again when he brings the firstborn into the world he says "let all the angels of God worship him", for there is no scripture in the OT that actually states this at all.

So where does the writer get this idea from if not from the OT?

Here is the answer, he didn't get it from the OT at all but rather from what was passed on to the early church by the disciples and written by Luke in Luke 2:10-14.

Luke 2:10 But the angel said to them, “Do not be afraid; for behold, I bring you good news of great joy which will be for all the people; 11 for today in the city of David there has been born for you a Savior, who is Christ the Lord. 12 This will be a sign for you: you will find a baby wrapped in cloths and lying in a manger.” 13 And suddenly there appeared with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God and saying,

14 “Glory to God in the highest,
And on earth peace among men with whom He is pleased.”

So we see then that the writer of Hebrews was speaking not of the Son being worshiped but rather the Father when the Father brought the Son into the world to become the sacrifice for the sins of the whole world and as per Hebrews 1:1-6.

I believe also that God did this for a sign to those who would see it, that this was truly the Messiah Son and King promised to come from the Davidic line of descendants and who would remove the sins of Israel and the Gentiles and also fulfill the complete promise to Israel that God made to Abraham and David.

I am not only posting this for the sake of trins but also for sake of many unitarians as well, for some of them falsely believe that Hebrews 1:6 is speaking of Jesus at his resurrection and concerning the world to come and not this world, but that is incorrect.

For Hebrews 1:5-6 is referring to God begetting Jesus to be his Son first at his birth and then Paul's words in Acts 13:33 are referring to God begetting Jesus as his Son the second time from having literally died as God's Son and when he was resurrected by God from the dead.

Therefore God declared Jesus as begotten to be his Son twice in created time, once at his birth into this world as per Hebrews 1:5-6 and when all the angels were instructed to worship God for this and then after Jesus had literally died for sins and God raised him up again and begot him the second time from the dead by the resurrection at Acts 13:33.

For he indeed is speaking here of Jesus at his birth and what God gave for a sign to reveal that he and his angels were pleased at his bringing his human Son into the world to die for the sins of all men and women and as we see in Luke 2:10-14.

John 3:16-17

16 For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. 17 For God did not send his Son into the world (Hebrews 1:6) to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.

Last edited:
Who are the angels of God really told to worship at the birth of Jesus in Hebrews 1:6?

You asked WHO are they told to worship. Well the Bible says...

Psalm 29:2... Give unto the LORD the glory due unto his name; worship the LORD in the beauty of holiness.

Isaiah 42:8... I am the LORD: that is my name: and my glory will I not give to another, neither my praise to graven images.

So there is ONLY ONE WHO is to be worshipped, the LORD (YHWH/GOD).

Here is how I describe the distinctions between the Father, the Son, the Spirit, and GOD...

GOD is spirit and is the only one who is eternal. GOD is also in the universe as spirit and as a human. GOD in the universe as spirit is called the Spirit of God, GOD in the universe as a human is called the Son of God, and eternal GOD is called God the Father.

GOD

English Bibles and I use the word GOD (with all caps) to signify the underlying Hebrew word is YHWH (a proper name) rather than Elohim (a title).
Exodus 23:17 ESV… Three times in the year shall all your males appear before the Lord GOD.

is spirit
John 4:24 ESV… God is spirit, and those who worship him must worship in spirit and truth.

and is the only one who is eternal...
Deuteronomy 33:27 ESV… The eternal God is your dwelling place, and underneath are the everlasting arms. And he thrust out the enemy before you and said, ‘Destroy.’
Isaiah 37:16 ESV… “O LORD of hosts, God of Israel, enthroned above the cherubim, you are the God, you alone, of all the kingdoms of the earth; you have made heaven and earth.

GOD is also in the universe as spirit
Genesis 1:2 ESV… The earth was without form and void, and darkness was over the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God was hovering over the face of the waters.

and as a human...
1 Timothy 3:16 ESV… Great indeed, we confess, is the mystery of godliness: He was manifested in the flesh, vindicated by the Spirit, seen by angels, proclaimed among the nations, believed on in the world, taken up in glory.

GOD in the universe as spirit is called the Spirit of God
Genesis 1:2 ESV… The earth was without form and void, and darkness was over the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God was hovering over the face of the waters.

GOD in the universe as a human is called the Son of God
Luke 1:35 ESV… And the angel answered her, “The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you; therefore the child to be born will be called holy—the Son of God.

and eternal GOD is called God the Father.
1 Corinthians 8:6 ESV… yet for us there is one God, the Father, from whom are all things and for whom we exist, and one Lord, Jesus Christ, through whom are all things and through whom we exist.

Last edited:

Psalm 29:2... Give unto the LORD the glory due unto his name; worship the LORD in the beauty of holiness.

Isaiah 42:8... I am the LORD: that is my name: and my glory will I not give to another, neither my praise to graven images.

Here is how I describe the distinctions between the Father, the Son, the Spirit, and GOD...

GOD is spirit and is the only one who is eternal. GOD is also in the universe as spirit and as a human. GOD in the universe as spirit is called the Spirit of God, GOD in the universe as a human is called the Son of God, and eternal GOD is called God the Father.

GOD

English Bibles and I use the word GOD (with all caps) to signify the underlying Hebrew word is YHWH (a proper name) rather than Elohim (a title).
Exodus 23:17 ESV… Three times in the year shall all your males appear before the Lord GOD.

is spirit
John 4:24 ESV… God is spirit, and those who worship him must worship in spirit and truth.

Deuteronomy 33:27 ESV… The eternal God is your dwelling place, and underneath are the everlasting arms. And he thrust out the enemy before you and said, ‘Destroy.’
Isaiah 37:16 ESV… “O LORD of hosts, God of Israel, enthroned above the cherubim, you are the God, you alone, of all the kingdoms of the earth; you have made heaven and earth.

and as a human...
1 Timothy 3:16 ESV… Great indeed, we confess, is the mystery of godliness: He was manifested in the flesh, vindicated by the Spirit, seen by angels, proclaimed among the nations, believed on in the world, taken up in glory.

Luke 1:35 ESV… And the angel answered her, “The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you; therefore the child to be born will be called holy—the Son of God.

1 Corinthians 8:6 ESV… yet for us there is one God, the Father, from whom are all things and for whom we exist, and one Lord, Jesus Christ, through whom are all things and through whom we exist.
I know all about what you believe and disagree with you on it, but my purpose here was to show all where the author of Hebrews got what he said in Hebrews 1:6 and it is obvious that it was the sign that Luke spoke of in Luke 2:10-14.

For God commanded his angels to worship himself and as a sign to those watching it, that he and all of heaven was pleased for HIM to have sent his human Son into the world to redeem men both Jew and Gentile from their sins.

I can't prove this, but I tend to believe that Paul had Luke write Hebrews for him because his eyesight was poor, for the writing style is similar to that of Luke but the wording to that of Paul and therefore in Hebrews 1:6, Luke would have been referring to what he wrote in his gospel of Luke 2:10-14.

By the way, Luke and Paul were very close associates in the ministry also.

Last edited:

johnny guitar

GOD

is spirit

and as a human...

The Father commanded His angels to worship The Son.

I can't prove this, but I tend to believe that because Paul was having problems with his eyes, that Paul had Luke who was a close associate of his, to write the book of Hebrews for Paul and by Paul's inspired instructions as to what he wanted written in the book.

For there is no doubt that there is terminology used in Hebrews that was exclusive to Paul's writings and also terminology that Paul used in his other writings and below are just a few examples of this.

Colossians 2:17 Paul's wording and calling the Law a shadow of the things to come but not the very image of those things

17 These are a shadow of the things that were to come; the reality, however, is found in Christ.

Now compare this with Hebrews 10:1 below.

Hebrews 10:1, For the law, having a shadow of the good things to come, and not the very image of the things, can never with these same sacrifices, which they offer continually year by year, make those who approach perfect.

Here is one more below from Paul's words to the Corinthians

1 Corinthians 3:2, I fed you with milk and not with solid food; for until now you were not able to receive it, and even now you are still not able;

Now notice the similarities in the terminology used also in Hebrews 5 below.

Hebrews 5:12 For though by this time you ought to be teachers, you need someone to teach you again the first principles of the oracles of God; and you have come to need milk and not solid food. 13 For everyone who partakes only of milk is unskilled in the word of righteousness, for he is a babe. 14 But solid food belongs to those who are of full age, that is, those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil.

Therefore it would be easy to see why if Luke did write Hebrews by Paul's dictation, that Luke would have mentioned his own narrative of Luke 2, where the angels were instructed to worship God at the birth of Jesus his Son and for a sign to those who would witness it that God and all of heaven was pleased by God bringing his Son into the world to be the savior of all men.

Last edited: