Who Decided on the Books in the New Testament Canon?

ziapueblo

God gave you a church?

How absurd....
Matthew 16:16-18, "Simon Peter replied, 'You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.' And Jesus answered him, 'Blessed are you, Simon Bar-Jona! For flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but my Father who is in heaven. And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the powers of death shall not prevail against it.'"

Verse 18 in Greek, "κἀγὼ δέ σοι λέγω ὅτι σὺ εἶ Πέτρος καὶ ἐπὶ ταύτῃ τῇ πέτρᾳ οἰκοδομήσω μου τὴν ἐκκλησίαν καὶ πύλαι ᾅδου οὐ κατισχύσουσιν αὐτῆς"

ἐκκλησίαν is defined as an assembly or religious congregation. It's usage: an assembly, congregation, church; the Church, the whole body of Christian believers.

ramcam2

Matthew 16:16-18, "Simon Peter replied, 'You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.' And Jesus answered him, 'Blessed are you, Simon Bar-Jona! For flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but my Father who is in heaven. And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the powers of death shall not prevail against it.'"

Verse 18 in Greek, "κἀγὼ δέ σοι λέγω ὅτι σὺ εἶ Πέτρος καὶ ἐπὶ ταύτῃ τῇ πέτρᾳ οἰκοδομήσω μου τὴν ἐκκλησίαν καὶ πύλαι ᾅδου οὐ κατισχύσουσιν αὐτῆς"

ἐκκλησίαν is defined as an assembly or religious congregation. It's usage: an assembly, congregation, church; the Church, the whole body of Christian believers.
here is a more complete one. i would choose the definition in a christian sense (D2, as highlighted)...

Strong's G1577, ekklesia (ἐκκλησία)

1. a gathering of citizens called out from their homes into some public place, an assembly
a. an assembly of the people convened at the public place of the council for the purpose of deliberating
b. the assembly of the Israelites
c. any gathering or throng of men assembled by chance, tumultuously
D. IN A CHRISTIAN SENSE
i. an assembly of Christians gathered for worship in a religious meeting
ii. a company of Christian, or of those who, hoping for eternal salvation through Jesus Christ, observe their own religious rites, hold their own religious meetings, and manage their own affairs, according to regulations prescribed for the body for order's sake
iii. those who anywhere, in a city, village, constitute such a company and are united into one body
iv. the whole body of Christians scattered throughout the earth
v. the assembly of faithful Christians already dead and received into heaven

Manfred

Christ is still building His Church.

It is NOT your church! it is His church.

Christ did not give anyone a church. Christ saves people from their sin, and they become a part of the church He is building.

You people think that Peter (Little Rock/Cephas) is the cornerstone on which your "church" was built, when you are supposed to recognize Christ as the cornerstone and every individual adopted by God as a building block in the church Christ is building.

But, then again, He is the Rock over which you stumble in favor of your Queen of heaven.

Our Lord's God

Regarding the nature of the New Testament canon: considering all the works produced in the first 200 years of Christianity, why were some universally included (the Gospels, Acts, and writings of Paul), other were included reluctantly (James, Jude, 2 Peter, 3 John, Hebrews, and Book of Revelation), and other rejected (the Didache, the Sheppard of Hermas, Gospel of the Hebrew, and Acts of Paul)? (Eusebius Chapter 25) How do you know and trust that your New Testament is not missing or have book that should not be included?

People in general haven't the slightest clue. So they make up one lie after another.

They can't even tell you why they believe God whether wanted a canon of books at all.

ziapueblo

I agree

Christ did not give anyone a church.
Yet he said, "I will build my Church."

You people think that Peter (Little Rock/Cephas) is the cornerstone on which your "church" was built, when you are supposed to recognize Christ as the cornerstone and every individual adopted by God as a building block in the church Christ is building.
I'm not Catholic, I'm Eastern Orthodox, therefore, the Pope of Rome has nothing to hold over me.

But, then again, He is the Rock over which you stumble in favor of your Queen of heaven.
Really?!?! Have I ever said this?

ramcam2

Christ is still building His Church.

Christ did not give anyone a church. Christ saves people from their sin, and they become a part of the church He is building.

how did you get your bible if the church jesus built is just a building?

Bob Carabbio

Well, I don't think we need to have the entire NT canon available to be saved,
Obviously - since folks were being saved by the box lot before there even WAS a "Canon".

Salvation (Becoming "Born Again") really ONLY takes Conviction of SIN and of Judgement by the Holy Spirit, then surrender, and calling upon God in FAITH that HE gifts.

1Thess521

verse please... thanks.

Mathew 19:28
Jesus said to them, “Truly I tell you, at the renewal of all things, when the Son of Man sits on his glorious throne, you who have followed me will also sit on twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel.

Luke 22:30
so that you may eat and drink at My table in My kingdom, and sit on thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel.

ramcam2

Mathew 19:28
Jesus said to them, “Truly I tell you, at the renewal of all things, when the Son of Man sits on his glorious throne, you who have followed me will also sit on twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel.

Luke 22:30
so that you may eat and drink at My table in My kingdom, and sit on thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel.
this illustrate that the church also called kingdom of God/heaven (Matt. 9:35, 10:7, 12:28, 13:11, 19:24), is a hierarchy.