Who do SDAs worship to?

Common Tater

I am not a Seventh Day Adventist.
That wasn't my question. Although I think I understand your answer. I was a 4thgen Adventist, went thru their education system, and I have many friends and former classmates who are pastors. I've never had a single one say he accepts the Nicene Creed. Lots of hemming and hawing or outright denial.

Fred

That wasn't my question. Although I think I understand your answer. I was a 4thgen Adventist, went thru their education system, and I have many friends and former classmates who are pastors. I've never had a single one say he accepts the Nicene Creed. Lots of hemming and hawing or outright denial.
I see.

I believe God is one Being that exists as three Persons.

Fred

We SDA’s use that terminology of “physical unity” in the denial of the trinitarian attribute of consubstantiality as outlined in the Nicene Creed.

Then why do they affirm this?

There is one God: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, a unity of three coeternal Persons. God is immortal, all-powerful, all-knowing, above all, and ever present. He is infinite and beyond human comprehension, yet known through His self-revelation. God, who is love, is forever worthy of worship, adoration, and service by the whole creation. (Gen. 1:26; Deut. 6:4; Isa. 6:8; Matt. 28:19; John 3:16 2 Cor. 1:21, 22; 13:14; Eph. 4:4-6; 1 Peter 1:2.)
https://www.adventist.org/en/beliefs/god/trinity/

Then why do they affirm this?

There is one God: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, a unity of three coeternal Persons. God is immortal, all-powerful, all-knowing, above all, and ever present. He is infinite and beyond human comprehension, yet known through His self-revelation. God, who is love, is forever worthy of worship, adoration, and service by the whole creation. (Gen. 1:26; Deut. 6:4; Isa. 6:8; Matt. 28:19; John 3:16 2 Cor. 1:21, 22; 13:14; Eph. 4:4-6; 1 Peter 1:2.)
https://www.adventist.org/en/beliefs/god/trinity/
That foundational statement on the trinity was developed in 1980.

In the public discussion surrounding this particular statement of belief at the 1980 General Conference session, committee participants made the following statement

LEIF HANSEN: In this discussion of the Trinity, which is always a difficult matter to discuss, I wonder if a certain mis- understanding could be eliminated by saying "a unity in purpose" so that the matter of physical unity may be eliminated.
NEAL C. WILSON: I see your point there. Maybe we ought to make it a unity in purpose rather than a physical unity

Note that “NEAL C. WILSON” at that time was president of the North American division of Seventh-day Adventists and went on to become the president of the general conference of Seventh-day Adventists.

The complete discussion of the wording of the Trinity fundamental belief is found in the Adventist Review, general conference bulletin number 5 from April 23, 1980 on page11and 14.

I believe that you would find the whole discussion informative on several levels

Edit per mod. You may not post the words of an author without providing a link.

Last edited by a moderator:

JonHawk

I have given them the glory that you gave me, that they may be one as we are one— 23 I in them and you in me—so that they may be brought to complete unity. John 17
We SDA’s use that terminology of “physical unity” in the denial of the trinitarian attribute of consubstantiality as outlined in the Nicene Creed.
As far as "physical unity" is concerned, two is fun ménage à trois is debauchery.

I have given them the glory that you gave me, that they may be one as we are one— 23 I in them and you in me—so that they may be brought to complete unity. John 17

As far as "physical unity" is concerned, two is fun ménage à trois is debauchery.

The words “physical unity” that we SDA’s object to is in reference to the “of one essence” and “consubstantial” nature of God/Trinity as described and stated in the Nicene Creed.

Fred

That foundational statement on the trinity was developed in 1980.

In the public discussion surrounding this particular statement of belief at the 1980 General Conference session, committee participants made the following statement

LEIF HANSEN: In this discussion of the Trinity, which is always a difficult matter to discuss, I wonder if a certain mis- understanding could be eliminated by saying "a unity in purpose" so that the matter of physical unity may be eliminated.
NEAL C. WILSON: I see your point there. Maybe we ought to make it a unity in purpose rather than a physical unity

Note that “NEAL C. WILSON” at that time was president of the North American division of Seventh-day Adventists and went on to become the president of the general conference of Seventh-day Adventists.

The complete discussion of the wording of the Trinity fundamental belief is found in the Adventist Review, general conference bulletin number 5 from April 23, 1980 on page11and 14.

I believe that you would find the whole discussion informative on several levels

Edit per mod. You may not post the words of an author without providing a link.

"Persons" is used, not "beings" - see #2.

pythons

Here's one more.

The early Christians continued to worship Jesus as God in the doxologies that refer to Him (see Romans 9:5; 2 Peter 3:18; Revelation 1:5, 6), the prayers offered to Him (see Acts 7:59, 60; 2 Corinthians 12:8, 9), and the songs and hymns sung to Him (see 1 Corinthians 14:26; Philippians 2: 5–11; Colossians 3:16, 17).

It's three God's at best.

Ellen White
Wonderful statement! The unity that exists between Christ and His disciples does not destroy the personality of either. They are one in purpose, in mind, in character, but not in person. It is thus that God and Christ are one. {8T 269.4}

Ellen says God is ONE BEING and Christ is another BEING. Christ is as much God as the disciples were Christ. The disciples were NOT CHRIST so we know how this logic chain ends.

Fred

It's three God's at best.

Ellen White
Wonderful statement! The unity that exists between Christ and His disciples does not destroy the personality of either. They are one in purpose, in mind, in character, but not in person. It is thus that God and Christ are one. {8T 269.4}

Ellen says God is ONE BEING and Christ is another BEING. Christ is as much God as the disciples were Christ. The disciples were NOT CHRIST so we know how this logic chain ends.
It seems awfully confusing what they claim to believe.

pythons

It seems awfully confusing what they claim to believe.

I agree, it does.

Additionally, statements like the following cause one to question the meaning current SDA's assign to things Ellen White said.

Ellen White, Sabbath Herald January 14, 1909
We are to be partakers of knowledge. As I have seen pictures representing Satan coming to Christ in the wilderness of temptation in the form of a hideous monster, I have thought, How little the artists knew of the Bible! Before his fall, Satan WAS, next to CHRIST, the highest angel in heaven".

No only did Ellen have detailed information about Lucifer she knew that Christ was the top angel in heaven with Lucifer being #2.

Common Tater

I haven't the time at the moment, but I will provide you with a link to the SDA Quarterly from 1999 where they specifically say "beings". I will also provide you with links to sermons by two prominent Adventist pastors, Dwight Nelson and Doug Batchelor, where they specifically say "beings". I do not know how well-versed you are with Adventism, but the church and its spokesmen have a very long history of carefully parsing their language to obscure what they actually believe.

SDAchristian

Michael is one of those that believes that Jesus is a created being.
You should clarify my position when stating it for me. Or quote me directly as evidense ...

AV 1Jn 2:6 He that saith he abideth in him ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked.

We all have the same body that Jesus had while walking on earth. Are we all created then ??? Did Jesus have a created body, to be fully human too ???

Yours in Christ, Michael