Who Faked the World’s Oldest Bible?

Unbound68

Prepare to have a field day with this…….

Daniels finally gets around to answering the question that makes up the title of this thread, as well as the title of his 2nd Sinaiticus book, on pp. 365 - 366! He writes:

So who really faked Sinaiticus? Let’s add it up. According to my best analysis of the evidence:

Benedict created a fake Greek text, to pull one over on the Tsar of Russia, as a way to get his support for the “newly discovered ancient Greek text” that would in turn back the revolutionary and Gnostic mindset of that day.

Simonides was just a calligrapher. He was never a Mason and he wasn’t Gnostic. He was a good, or at least exuberant, young copyist. He valued his Greek nation, his Orthodox religion, but his great uncle above all else. So while he physically wrote the text, for the most part, he didn’t try to create a fake, per se.

Cyril/Kyrillos intentionally created a fake, as well. He wanted whatever would help him to make money and get influence to remove him from exile at St. Catherine’s in the Egyptian desert.

Tischendorf did not start out wanting to create a fake. He thought it was genuine, by all evidence. But eventually the ruse was clear, and his participation was his ticket to view, copy and publish a typeset Vaticanus New Testament with his name on it. So he gladly participated in the ruse, with a little help from Cyril/Kyrillos.

The Pope, Jesuit General and Jesuit Cardinal Mai surely knew the Codex was a fake. But it was part of their plan to supply the Protestants with a second Greek Bible, to get them to forever abandon the Textus Receptus and King James Bibles and other faithful and preserved Bibles.

But who could have spanned the continents and the centuries to produce what we see today? There is only one entity, and no textual critic wants to talk about it, it seems: the Devil. He is the ultimate source of all the fakery, from the Gnostic counterfeits of the early centuries to the modern fakes created by their influence. And though 90% or more of the Bible is the same, that remaining amount is what has caused so much doubt and unbelief down to our present time, aided and abetted by the textual critics who created our modern Bibles. And the history in this book has been nothing but a prelude to what Westcott and Hort did with the Sinaiticus and Vaticanus.

I read that 'uncle' Benedict was related to Simonidis somewhere. Is this true? The large number of errors in Sinaiticus suggests that the copyist wasn't good.

I read that 'uncle' Benedict was related to Simonidis somewhere. Is this true? The large number of errors in Sinaiticus suggests that the copyist wasn't good.

This is one of those debatable issues.

Simonides CLAIMED he had an Uncle Benedict - but what exactly is that worth?

When the REAL Kallinikos wrote his letter refuting the claims of Simonides, he said that Benedict was NOT Simonides's uncle. Also, Simonides actually referred to Sinaiticus as a "poor" work of his "youth."

We have no independent confirmation that would withstand scrutiny that there was even an actual Benedict on Athos. I'm inclined to believe Benedict was PROBABLY on Athos and PROBABLY WAS related to Simonides simply because before he went off his rocker and began making preposterous claims about Sinaiticus, he was circulating a biography claiming that the reason he (Simonides) was on Athos was because of Benedict. There's less reason to think he was lying about that at that time - a time he was also appealing to Sinaiticus being old without ever claiming he had anything to do with it - than there is from other demonstrable lies.

Most probably Benedict was on Athos and was the uncle of Simonides - and didn't have jack squat to do with Sinaiticus.

From pg. 134, Who Faked the World’s Oldest Bible?

In that book [Is the World’s Oldest Bible a Fake?] I stated how scholars said that Simonides was a known forger, counterfeiter, liar, etc. With Tischendorf, I pointed out specific instances of lies, with proof that they were lies. Here’s the problem. At no time during my early research did I find a single instance of Simonides telling a lie, with proof that it was a lie.
Emphasis mine.

ROFLOL!!!

The worst scribe in existence. Missed miles of text. Many other scribes throughout history corrected this text again and again. KJV ONLYIST don't account for such things though. No one could have made up such a uniquely ancient text as Codex Sinaiticus. It is impossible for someone to make up its text. You would have to have Codex Sinaiticus to copy Codex Sinaiticus Text as a forgery.

The worst scribe in existence. Missed miles of text. Many other scribes throughout history corrected this text again and again. KJV ONLYIST don't account for such things though. No one could have made up such a uniquely ancient text as Codex Sinaiticus. It is impossible for someone to make up its text. You would have to have Codex Sinaiticus to copy Codex Sinaiticus Text as a forgery.
Oh dear, I meant to say I read that 'uncle Benedict' was completely unrelated" to Simonidis so that this was another lie of his.

Yes, I agree you couldn't make up the Sinaiticus text, especially since its nearest uncial ancestor is Vaticanus by a long way. Such a resemblance wouldn't have been possible for anyone to forge in the 19th century, especially without sight of Vaticanus. I mentioned this in an earlier post.

As a reminder, it makes ZERO sense that:
a) Benedict spent decades making an exemplar (and Steven, spare me the “I never thed he made an exemplar” excuse; you know full well what you’re implying with your words here and there was no need for decades of prep work to just haphazardly pick readings)

b) Simonides did most but not all of it and made a truckload of errors to be corrected in the so-called second draft DONE ON EXPENSIVE parchment!!!

This version right here, the Avery canonical version, defies common sense z

Expert to Avery: “Sinaiticus was NOT artificially stained in the 19th century.”

Avery to expert: “Scholars, text-crits, and experts have too much to lose admitting otherwise.”
———————

Expert to Avery: “The handwriting in Sinaiticus is 4th century.”

Avery to expert: “Ancient script can be copied by anyone.”
———————

Expert to Avery: “The scribe and corrector habits and differences in Sinaiticus show it to have been written in the 4th century and corrected over subsequent centuries.”

Avery to expert: “The text-crit dupes and those invested use the 4th century circularity argument.”
———————

And as Maestroh has said, were they to test Sinaiticus and the results prove it to be 4th century, this would be the response:

Avery: “Well that proves nothing. Simonides said he used old parchment to write on.”

You see, Avery, Daniels and the rest of the true “dupes” are so invested in the lies and faked stories of Simonides that to admit any testing proves Sinaiticus to be an early manuscript would mean

1. the REAL scholars and experts missed nothing

2. SART have wasted YEARS on their falsely called “research,”

3. SART spearheaded NOTHING in relation to Sinaiticus studies,

4. and SART have been, themselves, conned by a lying liar who lies.

Isn’t it funny how much time and energy they’ve wasted defending the lies of a man, solely to maintain their idolatry of the KJV?

Last edited:
Compare the “unbiased” and “impartial” words of Daniels below on Tischendorf :

Tischendorf would have been the first to show how many accolades he had received, and from where. Just ask him….I have never seen so many self-honoring accolades on a guy’s own book. I am not trying to disparage the man. I’m just trying to describe him accurately. (pp. 28,29)

——————————-

And then on Simonides:

He quotes Simonides—
“I was taught the means of knowing the ancient MSS. of every period and of every nation, their changes from time, also the knowledge of the skins, and the chemical preparation of the different writing inks and the effects of the atmospheric changes of the different climates of the world. Further, I acquired the knowledge of the preparation of the skins of every city of the ancient nations, and such other information as is requisite with regard to the indisputable evidence both of the spuriousness and genuineness of MSS. of every kind; which information it is to be regretted is not possessed by any of the archaeologists and palaeographers of our day…” 133

And then says,

This may sound like bragging. But let us put it into perspective. How many college students, including Tischendorf himself, have bragged that their favorite teacher or teachers have taught them everything they need to know about a subject? That still happens today. Many college graduates never study any further than their course studies. I’ll cut Simonides some slack here. (pp. 176,177)

As a reminder, it makes ZERO sense that:

b) Simonides did most but not all of it and made a truckload of errors to be corrected in the so-called second draft DONE ON EXPENSIVE parchment!!!

Oh, but Avery tried explaining the numerous different hands by saying they used it for “scribe practice!”

A BOOK REVIEW OF DAVID DANIELS’S “WHO FAKED ‘THE WORLD’S OLDEST BIBLE?’”

Trees Died For THIS?????

Whenever the subject is broached, I'm quick to point out that although the Internet properly used is a wonderful concept, it has given a bunch of people the delusion that since (in theory) other people are going to read what they type that what they have to say actually matters to anyone beyond their breakfast table. Subjects long considered settled can be called into question by people with little more than a password and an active imagination. Entire complex theories can be concocted to explain how the entire world is deluded about a subject and a person with zero expertise in said subject has a lot of spare time to pontificate and pretend that their words have meaning aplenty. On some occasions, these individuals are able to con other individuals into putting the erroneous ideas on paper and offering them for sale. And that apparently is what happened with the ever-growing conspiracy theory that might best be described "And Pinto begat Avery, and Avery begat Daniels and Daniels begat God Knows Who." It will be impossible to get through this review without at least a few snide cracks regarding the intellectual level of those espousing this theory but remember - these three fools (and I have no qualms calling a person who has never even seen a document with his own eyes a complete an utter fool, not because I'm mean but because God Himself certainly said it in Proverbs) have made movies (Pinto), thousands upon thousands of incoherent internet posts (Avery, whose real name is Spencer but who uses Avery so as not to embarrass his family), and books (Daniels) without having ever even been in the same room with Sinaiticus - and quite frankly, none of them can read Greek according to Steven Avery. (Note: while Avery will get his drawers in a bundle about this, Daniels's education in Greek came from Fuller Seminary. Avery has spent years dismissing seminary learning of Greek as being insufficient, so he can now either modify his all or nothing statement or accept its logical conclusions). Avery cannot, Pinto cannot, and according to Avery's own chosen method, neither can Daniels. But we are getting away from the book review, although the paragraph thus far is basically a good mirror image of how Daniels argues: their entire case is built upon the notion that Constantine Tischendorf was an evil and bad lying man who sought to dethrone their favorite English Bible and would have killed his own mother if necessary to gain fame. In fact, Tischendorf likely raped babies and beheaded cats on the side. After all, he nowhere DENIES he did these things, right? This book is far worse than Daniels's first foray into this subject via tome three years ago, and Daniels must realize it because he wastes most of his 249 pages (Google Books version) on irrelevant material, fake investigations, and imaginary speculative conversations that would be rejected as specious even by a weekly CBS drama screenwriter. Is there anything positive I can say about the book? Yes, two things: 1) it's 90 pages shorter than the last foray into ignorance; 2) it isn't going to persuade anyone with one scintilla of logic to the position being defended. The book isn't so much a polemic as it is a meeting with an old uncle suffering from dementia who intersperses irrelevant thought upon irrelevant thought time and again that makes the story difficult to follow. I guess I can add a third thing to at least say positive: at least this time he quoted Keith Elliott's magnificent work on the subject, even if he did quote it out of context, not give a fair portrayal of what Elliott said and then conveniently ignored everything documented that overturns Daniels's theory. But at least this time the book makes an appearance.

It is utterly impossible for me to document every mistake, error, blunder, or sentence of nonsense in the book, but l will approach this from two aspects, the review and the response. The problems with the book will be in this review and then - since the book reads like one incoherent internet posting after another - I will use separate postings to demonstrate the utter folly of "research" exhibited in the book and respond to a number of things Daniels had to gloss over simply because the indictment against Simonides is overwhelming.

SUMMARY OF CONTENTS
The book is one long ode to one really complex conspiracy theory and Daniels tips his hand in the "introduction," when he manages to blame Sinaiticus for unbelief in the church in the 21st century and then praises the "clingers" (his word) who held to the KJV. I could, of course, point out all the sinful lives and two-faced hypocrisy of KJV Onlyists to prove a counter case. Jack Schaap is making license plates with a federal prison sentence for having sex with a 16-year old girl. Peter Ruckman and Gail Riplinger have been married three times, and Ruckman's own namesake (Peter Jr) who grew up around KJVOism (as did Schaap) murdered his two teenage sons and then himself. Bob Gray died just days before his trial on sexual battery was to start and admitted under police questioning he had French kissed teenage girls decades earlier. Should I conclude from this "evidence" that the KJV apparently causes divorce, adultery, and abuse? Of course not, but this is the route Daniels begins, and it only gets worse from there.

From there, Daniels weaves through 12 chapters of attempting to salvage the flagging reputation of the documented forger Constantine Simonides, besmirch the reputation of Tischendorf, and use innuendo to suggest all sorts of nefarious things. At no time does he really prove anything, and he assuredly does not prove that Sinaiticus was written by Simonides in the 19th century. Every single time Simonides gets caught in a lie (in the few cases where Daniels actually attempts to engage that reality), Daniels gives us an "alternative fact" or hypothesis or excuse that makes the lying by Simonides somehow okay while every single thing Tischendorf ever said (or at least the few snippets Daniels has read) is to be scrutinized with full DNA markers and paternity testing. Indeed, the book is an attempt at Story Arc 1 (Tischendorf is bad) and Story Arc 2 (Simonides is good). He begins in chapter two with the typical KJVO presentation of Tischendorf as a Catholic sympathizer (but not a full-fledged Catholic priest who believed in transubstantiation like, say, Erasmus) and the pope as a Godfather-type figure who needs something in return. To prove his case, he brings in the irrelevant to the topic conversion of Cardinal John Henry Newman out of Protestantism. Tischendorf is presented as a mass egotist whose goal is to make a name for himself by his discoveries, so in love with an esteemed reputation that he will do anything for fame. Daniels drones through 12 chapters that assume MANY things that are unproven, many things 180 degrees moved from the facts, and pretty much all of it based upon the notion that if Tischendorf ever told a lie about anything then that somehow miraculously turns a fourth century document into a nineteenth century document, but of course when Simonides lies, we’re given alternative explanations (with the sole exception of the 1852 alleged sighting by Simonides of an altered Sinaiticus, which Daniels gives a truly amusing excuse, more on this in a few moments). The book cherry picks only the select evidence that supports the author’s presupposed conclusion and ignores all the contradictions (and they are legion) between Simonides’s early and later accounts to say nothing of assuming that a man nobody ever saw before or since (Kallinikos) spoke truth. What’s amazing is that he demands others PROVE Simonides is lying, knowing full well this is not how one performs a historical inquiry.

The biggest blunder in the book BY FAR is that Daniels ASSUMES that Simonides told the truth, but he does so simply by editing out the first story and assuming the contrary modifications are sufficient evidence to support the claim. There is literally NOTHING in the presentation that depends on ANYTHING other than the word of Constantine Simonides. Though he presents Kallinikos as a second witness, his investigation is so superficial as to arouse howls of laughter from anyone familiar with the story. Take away claims made by Simonides – none of which was ever proven by the way – mix together some other claims (none of which are proven, either), and voila! You have “proof” that a guy who had nothing to do with Sinaiticus – so much so that as was pointed out over 150 years ago, he knew nothing at all about the manuscript, which is largely why his tale was rejected – was “involved with” (as opposed to the original claim that he wrote the entire thing himself). The book is rife with errors of logic, history, and fact, and consists of mindless speculation that gives us a good conspiracy theory but nothing substantive. What follows is a list of SOME of the errors in the book. It is hardly close to an exhaustive list, but the plethora of error itself makes crystal clear that the pattern shows enough deficiency to dismiss the work as a piece of amusing fiction and not very good fiction, either.

Last edited:
Problems in the book include:
1) False dichotomies

Throughout the book, Daniels erroneously narrows numerous things down to only two alternatives in a juvenile application of the “either/or” fallacy. The KJV is good, all else is bad is the most obvious, but he does this in several other instances as well.

2) Motivational fallacies
It is crystal clear that Daniels is a KJV Onlyist. So, too, are Chris Pinto and Steven Avery (Don’t Tell Them My Last Name Is) Spencer. And that motivates the entire narrative they present.

3) Impugning and select praising of expertise

Daniels uses “expertise” like a drunk uses a lamp post: for support, not for illumination. On page 13 he writes: “People with doctorates specialized in something. But it does not make them better able to drive a car, make a sandwich, or do research. Some of them come up with outlandish ideas, then force them on their students (and readers) because “I have a doctorate in x studies.” He’s not wrong in this, though I would add just because a person can use a computer doesn’t make him an expert in Greek like his “researcher” Steven Avery pretends to be, either. But then he turns right around on page 59 when he wants to bash Tischendorf and says, “This (note: Uspensky) was a very highly-educated man, especially compared to Tischendorf who had only a Bible college level education.” But Daniels can’t think Uspensky is TOO educated since if we believe what Uspensky wrote about the document he handled twice, he was fooled into dating the manuscript to the fifth century. Of course, Daniels suddenly doesn’t want THAT kind of expertise, which is why he commits another fallacy by…

4) Important Materials are hidden from the reader
It’s amusing how often the Three Stooges (Pinto/Daniels/Avery) are fond of accusing OTHER people of “hiding information,” but this is world-class projection at an elite level by all three men. Pinto – and James White graded him like soft cheese on this very issue – loves to quote James Farrer, but he’s always careful to never quote the fact Farrer himself said Simonides was a liar. Avery (Spencer’s) entire “Forum Ode to My Ego” continually hides information from anyone who is not equipped enough to know how to do research in the first place and stumbles across his site. He fails to disclose his anti-Trinitarian views, his lack of knowledge of Greek, and quite frankly his lack of knowledge of almost any subject having to do with textual criticism. Daniels follows in the train, never bothering – after inflating Uspensky’s reputation beyond one that his own mother would recognize – to disclose that, “oh and by the way, this incredibly smart guy thought Sinaiticus was a fifth century document.” The reason is obvious: it’s impossible to make Tischendorf look like an idiotic dolt who didn’t know the age of a manuscript when another guy comes along without knowing and essentially agrees within a century of the date.

If this was the only time Daniels failed to mention this, it would be egregious, but it wouldn’t point to a pattern. But he does this throughout the book. Inconvenient information is carefully omitted and ONLY the settled narrative Daniels wants to defend is presumed true.

Another important fact Daniels refuses to mention is the probability that the author of the biography of Simonides – the actual person behind the name Charles B. Stewart – is Simonides himself. Stewart is intimately familiar with Simonides and knows things literally ONLY Simonides or someone who was with him every single day for years could possibly know. Instead, Daniels attempts another of his fallacies (covered below) where he tries to shift the burden of proof from Simonides to his detractors.

5) Sloppy Research
Daniels clearly CANNOT do firsthand research. Or – to be charitable – if he CAN, he most assuredly did NOT do so on this book. The book is designed to appear to be a thoroughly researched tome, but Daniels did very little beyond click Google and find what he could on a search engine. Take, for example, Daniels’s quotation of Charles Stewart’s biography of Simonides. The only pages Daniels ever actually cites or quotes are THE FEW CURRENTLY AVAILABLE ONLINE via Google search. He only cites pages that can be found online (there are at least two sections available). And he also hides some rather pertinent information: NOWHERE in Stewart’s 1859 biography does he ever mention, hint at, or say that Simonides wrote a massive manuscript project way back in 1839-40 that now has a portion in Leipzig, where Simonides no doubt knew about it when he himself was in Leipzig in 1856. As if that’s not enough, Stewart’s book (from 1859 remember) tries to assert the authenticity of some of Simonides’s documents by appealing to (wait for it) Tischendorf’s early in 1859 discovery of Sinaiticus. Despite being written either by Simonides himself or by a close friend, the biography never hints at anything other than the idea the manuscript is an authentic find.

6) Mind reading and Wild Speculations
Daniels also spends a great amount of time imposing his thoughts on the story. These are not conclusions warranted nor do they have anything to do with the story, they just permit Daniels to fill in the gaps with a number of speculations that require a trampoline to pull off the leap. The following examples will suffice:

I think Tischendorf just parroted the doubts that his teachers gave him, as happened to me in Bible college and seminary.
As I have said before, I think Tischendorf took pages out of a bound book in 1844.
I think that Callistratus stopped correcting it, when he realized it would no longer be a simple proofreading; it would require a major rewrite. (Except he has zero proof other than the claims of a letter from a claimed Kallinikos that this even happened).
I think he meant to throw in the fragment of Genesis…
To me, this sounds like Simonides. And we know that Simonides came to Mt. Athos in 1837. I think this is a reference to him on Mt. Athos in Panteleimon monastery (his only warrant for thinking this is he believes Simonides went to Athos NOT as Simonides)…
My theory is that at this time… (again, his theory relies upon Simonides telling the truth).
Stewart’s biography did not include the project that Benedict had in mind. And I think I know why. (I know why, too; it’s because Simonides had zippo to do with Sinaiticus).
There’s something in the Codex that possibly verifies this theory (which is just a fancy way of saying, “I have no evidence at all, and I’m blowing smoke BUT, here’s something I can pass off to say justifies my presupposed conclusion”).
I think Benedict wanted to fool the Tsar into thinking this was the oldest and best, to make a more Gnostic-Freemasonic-Revolutionary-friendly text. (This doesn’t say a whole lot for the character of either Benedict OR Simonides if true. Did you not think this through before you wrote it?).
But I think Kyrillos wanted to be paid for anything that Tischendorf decided he wanted to remove from the monastery.
Daniels uses this same formulation or something similar some dozen or so more times to fill in the gaps. For such an open and shut case, he sure has a lot of holes to calk!

7) Naively Believing Things Simonides Says
As I noted above, Daniels’s ENTIRE case is dependent upon the words of a known liar and forger (this according to James Farrer, who Daniels loved to cite in the first book). For example, he attempts to absolve the fact nobody can establish the presence of Simonides on Sinai in the first place. Rather than admitting reality, Daniels simply quotes Simonides’s June 1863 letter that was only written after obvious lies he told in his earlier letters needed to have the story amended. Basically, Simonides says the reason Kallinikos doesn’t know about three alleged trips to Sinai that Simonides suddenly claims he made is because he didn’t use the name Simonides when he was on Athos. This, of course, begs the question as to how Kallinikos could have known it was Simonides he actually saw writing the manuscript as he claims he did. And lest you think I’m being unfair, that very quote is in this very book on page 159.

Last edited:
8) Unwarranted conclusions
Daniels also arrives at conclusions that simply have no basis on established fact. Here are but a few examples:
a) He tells us that citations in an 1895 (or 1900) catalog prove someone was at Athos on a certain date. But that proves almost literally nothing. A catalog compiled fifty years after the fact MAY serve as evidence a particular writing was read on a particular day, but it doesn’t prove the person who wrote it was in Athos on that very day.
b) He doesn’t seem to realize that saying, “Hey, we have these works with the names Simonides and Kallinikos” REDUCE the time frame Simonides could have been working on Sinaiticus, making it even more unlikely he authored it.

c) His most amusing conclusions concern Kallinikos and 1852, and those will be treated below.
Writing in 1858-59, Stewart gave a surprising amount of details!
Not about Sinaiticus he didn’t. His only mention of it (page 61) is in regard to its authenticity.

Earlier in his narration, he had pointed out that since all the principals in this part of the story were dead, there was no danger to exposing these parts. (Ibid).
There was also no danger in anyone confirming his claims weren’t true. But that also means there was nobody to confirm it as true, either. And really, how did Stewart know this? Was he on Mount Athos in 1837, too?

9) Factual Errors
a) If you have a Bible that is not the King James and published after 1880, then it is likely that there are changes in the text that ultimately come from the Sinaiticus. (page 4)
As Jonathan Borland has pointed out: Aleph stands alone among named manuscripts supporting the NA/UBS text at Mk 15:30 א pc lat and a corrector of Aleph at 2Jn 1:12 אc2 pc vgmss. Those are the only cases of such in the entire Greek NT.
b) No one in recorded history seems to have seen this world-changing codex before 1840. (Ibid)
This is also not true. Of course it wasn’t named Sinaiticus because that came later, but it’s pretty well established it was seen at least as early as 1761. If Daniels can fill in gaps with “I think,” so can I.
d) The American Standard and almost every Bible after it changed its New Testament in many ways to match the readings in Codex Sinaiticus. (he lists none)
Again, see point a.
e) Consider this: almost every single change in a Bible from 1881 to the present, has involved that codex
Continue to reassert wrong things.
But in actuality, Sinaiticus is one of the most corrected of the supposedly ancient texts in history! 23,000 changes in just the parts of Sinaiticus found to date! (page 9)
What’s truly insane is the notion that these guys did a rough draft on EXPENSIVE material, but I guess I can’t expect Daniels or Avery to have an ounce of LOGIC when it comes to reality, right?
e) Tischendorf wasn’t silent only about his meeting with Pope Gregory XVI. He was also very elusive at best about where he acquired the CFA. He didn’t write about it in his 1847 Travels in the East. Not until after 1859 did his lips begin to loosen. (63)

This isn't true, though. Tischendorf DID mention the CFA and exactly where to find out his story on page 273 of the very book Daniels says he's silent about it. (This is some more sloppy research). I'll grant Daniels can't read German as I can, but he didn't look at this one too well.

Anyone who by this point still gives credence to this book I would regard as a hopeless case anyway. If the eight previous pages of documentation aren’t enough for you to understand that David Daniels simply assumed his conclusion and then built his investigation around it, a hundred more examples would not persuade you, either. That being said, let’s deal with a final point that gets right to the heart of the problem: in the David Daniels theory, Tischendorf realizes he’s been duped and decides to fool everybody by staining the manuscript to make it look older. We are then told by the mysterious Kallinikos that he SAW Simonides writing this manuscript on Athos and SAW Tischendorf stealing it and SAW Tischendorf staining it, too! Now, he never says it in those words, but if you’re talking eyewitness testimony, he had to do so else it’s nothing but hearsay evidence. The Kallinikos letters – all of them ACTUALLY later than the first Simonides volley on September 3, 1862 – provide little evidence of anything other than you can’t really expect a forger to do anything but write letters as witnesses. In his attempts to shift the burden of proof, Daniels makes a number of flat out absurd attacks on others, several of which will be answered here.

Once again, this is the difference between a truth-teller like Simonides, and storytellers like Mike Warnke (or Tischendorf at crucial points in his Sinaiticus narrative). He gave dates, places, names, and even specific locations where people may be found to validate his testimony. (page 166)
Except it wasn’t anyone else’s job to go hunting all over the world for witnesses, it was Simonides’s obligation to PRODUCE them. I suspect he gave specific names of people whom he knew were no longer alive. But even if they were, it wasn’t up to someone else to go on a long journey around the world to Mt Athos, either.

“Who is Charles Stewart,” critics ask. From the above we can see first that Charles Stewart’s middle name starts with a B. Second, Granville Square is one mile from the British Museum, just over a mile north of the River Thames, in London! How lazy does someone have to be, not to go and see for him or herself?
Only as lazy as Simonides would be for not bringing him by for questioning. See how that works?

My biographer is Mr. Charles Steuart, who lives at Brighton. His brother, Mr. Henry C. Steuart, lives at 41, Great Percystreet, Islington, W.C. Write, therefore, to him, and he will give thee the reply thou requirest.”

Great Percy Street is just two blocks north of Granville Square! Never in my life have I seen people so unwilling to do a little checking for themselves.
It wasn’t their job to go interview the BROTHER of the guy who allegedly wrote a book. And if it’s so close, why not bring him by yourself? Again, this constant demand that people DISPROVE Simonides’s never proven claims is absolutely hilarious. Simonides could give enough names to show he was familiar with environs, but as a reminder, this clown was in Leipzig and had not a clue that his own work was on display there. And never mentioned this “project” to his biographer, either.

But in the end, the entire thing comes down to two things, Kallinikos and 1852.

In 2019, I confronted Mr. Daniels during the Dean Burgon Society meeting regarding whether or not he is aware of Steven Avery’s Trinity denial. He wound up saved by a crooked referee in pro wrestling parlance AFTER going on the record with his claim that Sinaiticus couldn’t have been stained prior to 1855. But this presents a HUGE problem for the credibility of both Kallinikos and Simonides for the simple reason Simonides claims to have seen: a) the ENTIRE manuscript b) on Sinai in 1852, and it had ALREADY been aged to make it look older. This creates a problem for any claim that Tischendorf stained the manuscript because he was not on Sinai between 1844 and 1853 (to say nothing of the fact it was NOT the entire manuscript). I’ve confronted Steven Avery (Daniels’s ace researcher who is actually more of a Joker) with this, and all he could do was mumble incoherently about Simonides exaggerating. Avery steadfastly refuses TO THIS DAY to call Simonides a liar despite the fact his lies are easily documented. Daniels apparently has a sliver more integrity than Steven Avery does (and not just because he uses his actual name), because Daniels realizes that he has no choice but to explain Simonides and 1852. But his explanation is so self-evidently goofy and atrocious that while he at least can be credited for trying to weave his way through an obvious lie – and Daniels also has the honesty to ADMIT that it is a lie – the fact remains he pivots and simply goes into a sort of Baptist-style revival preaching about man being lost. I have no qualms with saying this about Simonides. Every single thing it is documented he ever did was corrupt and full of lies, so much so that rather than produce the great a cloud of witnesses that could have validated his claims, he simply went and wrote some letters and signed the name of a guy he figured they never could locate. Of course, nowhere in this book does Daniels ever deal with the fact that the researchers he whines never went a couple of blocks DID get a letter from the ACTUAL Kallinikos Hiermonchas, which contradicted every single thing Simonides said. In short, what we have with Simonides is little more than an angry man who wanted fame no matter how it came and was willing to lie his little tail off just to get the recognition. Daniels then concludes with a one world religion conspiracy theory that would shame the late Jack Van Impe.

In the end, the book fails at all points. It fails to establish, prove, or even seriously challenge the fourth century date of the manuscript. It fails at research, it fails at logical flow, it fails at being a good polemic, and it fails to even be entertaining reading. The sad thing is the number of people that includes Mr Pinto, Mr Spencer (Avery), and Mr Daniels who have wasted their time on earth investigating settled issues in order to soothe their own cognitive dissonance. Avery’s bungling Google searches permeate Daniels’s work to the point both may be justifiably considered to be the Wet Bandits (of “Home Alone” fame) of Textual Criticism. As in the research won’t even conquer an eight-year old mind.

The worst scribe in existence. Missed miles of text. Many other scribes throughout history corrected this text again and again. KJV ONLYIST don't account for such things though.

Sure we do.
It makes sense as the amateurish actions of a monastery that never had such a project. Including the duplicate pages!

It does not make sense as an ancient scriptorium.

9) Factual Errors
As Jonathan Borland has pointed out: Aleph stands alone among named manuscripts supporting the NA/UBS text at Mk 15:30 א pc lat and a corrector of Aleph at 2Jn 1:12 אc2 pc vgmss. Those are the only cases of such in the entire Greek NT.

Since pc can be dozens of manuscripts, your case here is nonsensical.
Beyond that, it looks like one of the variants is a trivial word order difference.

Plus, you should give a url to any Borland article.

Sure we do.
It makes sense as the amateurish actions of a monastery that never had such a project. Including the duplicate pages!

It does not make sense as an ancient scriptorium.
It only makes sense in an ancient scriptoreum. No one could make up that Text. Nothing else like it on this planet now exists. Certainly in the 2nd/3rd/4th century their was its exemplar. Your made up fantasy denial is just more of your rejection of the word of God.

Since pc can be dozens of manuscripts, your case here is nonsensical.

David Daniels:
If you have a Bible that is not the King James and published after 1880, then it is likely that there are changes in the text that ultimately come from the Sinaiticus. (page 4)

Given the fact we are talking about readings SOLELY in Sinaiticus....the fact pc is MORE THAN ONE MANUSCRIPT here actually PROVES MY POINT!

(Did you seriously not even think this through before posting your raging response?

Beyond that, it looks like one of the variants is a trivial word order difference.

Which has nothing to do with what's being said.

Plus, you should give a url to any Borland article.

Why would I give the URL to an article when I wasn't citing an article?

Seriously, you struck out, fouled out, grounded out, and bombed out all in this one post.

9) Factual Errors
e) Tischendorf wasn’t silent only about his meeting with Pope Gregory XVI. He was also very elusive at best about where he acquired the CFA. He didn’t write about it in his 1847 Travels in the East. Not until after 1859 did his lips begin to loosen. (63)

This isn't true, though. Tischendorf DID mention the CFA and exactly where to find out his story on page 273 of the very book Daniels says he's silent about it. (This is some more sloppy research). I'll grant Daniels can't read German as I can, but he didn't look at this one too well.

So simply give your quote, German or English, where Tischendorf indicates that the CFA came from St. Catherine's.

Otherwise, David is right and your accusation is false.

Back