Who has the God given authority to 'bind and loose'?

Teresa

Peter’s Declaration about Jesus

Matt 16 13 Now when Jesus came into the district of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, “Who do people say that the Son of Man is?” 14 And they said, “Some say John the Baptist, but others Elijah, and still others Jeremiah or one of the prophets.” 15 He said to them, “But who do you say that I am?” 16 Simon Peter answered, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.” 17 And Jesus answered him, “Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah! For flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but my Father in heaven. 18 And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not prevail against it. 19 I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven, and whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven.” 20 Then he sternly ordered the disciples not to tell anyone that he was the Messiah.

If not the Church, who on earth has these keys to 'bind and loose'?

1Thess521

Matt 16 13 Now when Jesus came into the district of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, “Who do people say that the Son of Man is?” 14 And they said, “Some say John the Baptist, but others Elijah, and still others Jeremiah or one of the prophets.” 15 He said to them, “But who do you say that I am?” 16 Simon Peter answered, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.” 17 And Jesus answered him, “Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah! For flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but my Father in heaven. 18 And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not prevail against it. 19 I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven, and whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven.” 20 Then he sternly ordered the disciples not to tell anyone that he was the Messiah.

first : what do you think that phrase means in context?

The answer to that questions will determine who can bind and loose.

balshan

The rock is not a denomination but Jesus. He is the one with the power and authority. Peter says: You are the Messiah etc. Jesus replies upon this rock. Peter is not the rock. Jesus is the foundation stone, the cornerstone

1 Cor 3:11

For no one can lay any foundation other than the one already laid, which is Jesus Christ.

Play word games all you like with the word rock, it is still Jesus that the church is built on and it is not your institution. You can trust Jesus with the keys, he may have given some authority to the disciples but he would never give that to your institution. It is not His body. You certainly cannot trust those popes, as they are just men most with very smelly fruit.

Jesus would never pass the keys to those who would hide child abuse, then lie about and then treat the victims like criminals. He would never have passed them to those who would have condone orgies and the sexual abuses of past popes. He would never pass it on to those who would approve of murder, torture, religious wars etc. He would never pass it on to those who want to live in decorated mansions, who loved money.

Last edited:

Teresa

first : what do you think that phrase means in context?

The answer to that questions will determine who can bind and loose.

Jesus is speaking directly to Simon who He addresses as Peter (which means rock). He directly says to him "I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven, and whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven."

Jesus hands Peter a power to transmit His teachings and then history has shown that working through the teaching authority of the Apostles and the place of the Council of Jerusalem to decide matters not specifically addressed by Jesus when He was with them.

Teresa

The rock is not a denomination but Jesus. He is the one with the power and authority. Peter says: You are the Messiah etc. Jesus replies upon this rock. Peter is not the rock. Jesus is the foundation stone, the cornerstone

1 Cor 3:11

For no one can lay any foundation other than the one already laid, which is Jesus Christ.

Play word games all you like with the word rock, it is still Jesus that the church is built on and it is not your institution. You can trust Jesus with the keys, he may have given some authority to the disciples but he would never give that to your institution. It is not His body. You certainly cannot trust those popes, as they are just men most with very smelly fruit.

Jesus would never pass the keys to those who would hide child abuse, then lie about and then treat the victims like criminals. He would never have passed them to those who would have condone orgies and the sexual abuses of past popes. He would never pass it on to those who would approve of murder, torture, religious wars etc. He would never pass it on to those who want to live in decorated mansions, who loved money.
Who did Jesus hand the keys to bind and loose?

balshan

Who did Jesus hand the keys to bind and loose?
Not your institution that allows evil to flourish. That would be against all Jesus stands for. Peter is not a pope and never was, your institution is not apostolic. Where these literal keys or are these keys symbolic?

Teresa

Not your institution that allows evil to flourish. That would be against all Jesus stands for. Peter is not a pope and never was, your institution is not apostolic. Where these literal keys or are these keys symbolic?
But who then?

mica

Jesus is speaking directly to Simon who He addresses as Peter (which means rock). He directly says to him "I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven, and whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven."

Jesus hands Peter a power to transmit His teachings and then history has shown that working through the teaching authority of the Apostles and the place of the Council of Jerusalem to decide matters not specifically addressed by Jesus when He was with them.
what opens the gates of heaven to us?