who here can build a fence?

SteveB

In another section of the forum, I said that atheism is useless outside the realm of philosophy.
Since no one has actually been able to demonstrate otherwise in that thread, I'm going to see if their inability to do so is simply a disconnect from philosophy to reality.

So.... who here can build a fence?
If you think you can build a fence, please tell me the tools that would be useful in doing so.
They can be electrically powered tools, but I'd like a list of tools that'd make the job possible.
I know the tools I'd use..... and have in fact used to build the fence at my old house.

So..... go for it.
Show me that you comprehend the nature of reality.

SteveB

I don't see how this is germane to the subject of theism and atheism unless your knowledge of the fine technical points of fence building came from the Bible.

I mean, I could say that only people who share my own particular talents and abilities understand reality, and list off what they are, but I won't do that, because I'm not a bloody twat.
Of course not.
This is just telling me that you don't know how to think.

So, do you, or do you not know how to build a fence, and if you do, then what are the tools used to do so?

The Pixie

In another section of the forum, I said that atheism is useless outside the realm of philosophy.
Since no one has actually been able to demonstrate otherwise in that thread, I'm going to see if their inability to do so is simply a disconnect from philosophy to reality.
So..... go for it.
So SteveB has chosen to define comprehending the nature of reality as havng the same skill set as SteveB? How delightfully egocentric!

SteveB

So SteveB has chosen to define comprehending the nature of reality as havng the same skill set as SteveB? How delightfully egocentric!
I'm still waiting for any of you to actually show you know how to build a fence.
If you lack so basic a skill, then why are you posting here?

treeplanter

If you think you can build a fence, please tell me the tools that would be useful in doing so.
They can be electrically powered tools, but I'd like a list of tools that'd make the job possible.
I know the tools I'd use..... and have in fact used to build the fence at my old house.

So..... go for it.
Fences exist only to keep some in and others out

How about you and that god of yours concentrate on building bridges instead?

Lighthearted Atheist

I am not sure how this fits the forum but I'll answer at face value.

If I had to build a fence I would first research any available guides from the experts. Then I'd follow their directions since I am not a carpenter - I'd measure out the fence line, go to Home Depot and buy the required materials, and buy or borrow any tools I might need. If I needed help sinking the post holes I'd ask friends and family for help.

Then I'd follow the plan from the experts and build the fence step by step.

I do not know how this relates to belief in God but that's how I'd build a fence :)

bigthinker

What does that mean exactly?

So..... go for it.
First demonstrate that you do.
lol.

bigthinker

If I had to build a fence I would first research any available guides from the experts. Then I'd follow their directions since I am not a carpenter - I'd measure out the fence line, go to Home Depot and buy the required materials, and buy or borrow any tools I might need. If I needed help sinking the post holes I'd ask friends and family for help.

I do not know how this relates to belief in God but that's how I'd build a fence :)
It doesn't but what else can the irrational say?
The idea of not believing in God is incomprehensible -even though they can relate to not believing in other gods.
But its really just an attempt to appear thoughtful.

SteveB

Thank you LA.
Ok.
Where would you go to get the necessary instructions on what tools would be needed, and how to build the fence?
I.e., who would be the experts you'd access to do this?

SteveB

What does that mean exactly?

First demonstrate that you do.
lol.
I did.
I provided 3 links of the street view of my old house, and it shows the fence I built when we had the house built. I built the fence in the Spring of 2000.

Lighthearted Atheist

Thank you LA.
Ok.
Where would you go to get the necessary instructions on what tools would be needed, and how to build the fence?
I.e., who would be the experts you'd access to do this?
I have a neighbor who is a master carpenter so I might go see him and ask. I'd go to the web and see if there are "how to build a fence" tutorials. I might got to the DeWalt site and see if they have videos on "how to choose the right tool."

Does that answer or am I off?

treeplanter

It's a simple question T.
Have you ever built a fence, and what tools would you use?
Never built a fence
Doubt I'll ever be building a fence

If I want a fence, I'll hire someone to build it for me - someone who knows how to build fences and has never drowned babies, advocated slavery, or has killed and/or commanded that unbelievers be killed

SteveB

I have a neighbor who is a master carpenter so I might go see him and ask. I'd go to the web and see if there are "how to build a fence" tutorials. I might got to the DeWalt site and see if they have videos on "how to choose the right tool."

Does that answer or am I off?
I think it's close enough. You're the only one who didn't mock, and refuse to answer the question so far. So, I actually appreciate it.

Considering I grew up being taught how to fix things, by my grandfather, and dad, and the master carpenters I've met were quite specialized, I'd be intrigued to meet one who would know how to build a fence, without over-complicating it. Someone who doesn't do it regularly would have a tendency to over think it, and make it more complicated than needed.

fwiw, I made this hood for that kitchen. This was the kind of work I was trained for in my union apprenticeship.
Copper hood.JPG
The tools for the fence are actually pretty simple.
A hammer, nails-- lots and lots of nails.
A long string
A string level
A saw of some kind--- a skill saw, hand saws, ---- would be necessary.
If you don't want to use nails--- after a decade or so, they have a tendency of backing out in their own, due to wind, temperature fluctuations from morning to night, through the varying seasons--- a screw gun, and screws--- lots of screws. #8 x 2" to 3"
A shovel,
Either a post hole digger or an auger (rent at the store).
A 4' level.
And enough lumber to meet the need for the length of the fence.

The point to all this is.... and I made the point to @bigthinker on another op/comment.....

Knowing what tools to use for the job at hand is really critical. Failure to use the correct tools could easily result in the job not succeeding, or being a downright failure.

Eg., I would not use a screwdriver to drive nails.
and I wouldn't use a 10 oz ball peen hammer to drive screws or nails in lumber.
I wouldn't use a hand miter saw to cut lateral pieces because it'd take too long.

In like manner, when I cut out the metal for the copper hood above, I used 3 different kinds of tin snips. I did not use household scissors.
When forming the metal, I used a brake, a slip roll, and the caps on the corners, I made a jig out of thicker metal, to form the radial shape, so I could place them on the corners.

To hold the rolled corner caps in place until the caulk dried, I made wood jigs, using a saw, and a router. I created wedges, and using different lengths of vice grips, I clamped it all in place, at strategically placed positions, so I could make sure they were fit properly, as a finished product.

All this to say--- there are correct, and incorrect tools to be used in determining the reality of God.
and man-made technology does not accomplish it.

SteveB

Never built a fence
Doubt I'll ever be building a fence

If I want a fence, I'll hire someone to build it for me - someone who knows how to build fences and has never drowned babies, advocated slavery, or has killed and/or commanded that unbelievers be killed
Too bad. It's actually an enjoyable experience.

treeplanter

Too bad. It's actually an enjoyable experience.
And the point that you're trying to make here is what?

That we do not possess the 'tools' to determine whether or not God exists
and
that we do not possess the 'tools' to determine whether or not God is worthy of our devotion?

That we must, in fact, use the 'tools' that He provides for us - i.e. we should just take His word for it?

SteveB

And the point that you're trying to make here is what?

That we do not possess the 'tools' to determine whether or not God exists
and
that we do not possess the 'tools' to determine whether or not God is worthy of our devotion?

That we must, in fact, use the 'tools' that He provides for us - i.e. we should just take His word for it?
Had you slowed down and read my answer to LA, you would've seen it.
Even WiF saw it.