Who makes the choice?

TibiasDad

The flaw in your unBiblical rationalization is that it is NOT an "either/or".
It IS "because we choose to", just as much as it's because God chose.
Then first choice bears just as much responsibility and culpability for the result!

Doug

TibiasDad

God is responsible, certainly.
But God is not "culpable", since God does no wrong in that situation.
The mastermind of a robbery or murder is just as guilty as the one who holds up the bank or pulls the trigger, whether he was there or not!

Doug

Theo1689

The mastermind of a robbery or murder is just as guilty as the one who holds up the bank or pulls the trigger, whether he was there or not!

Doug

Let me know when you're interested in discussing something related to theology.
I'm not interested in your anti-Scriptural rationalizations.

TibiasDad

@TibiasDad

He's got ya there Doug!
No, Carbon, he does not. I hope you do not follow in his footsteps, and I am not referring to theological perspective; if you find Calvinism more appealing, good for you! That's no skin of my teeth or your soul, but a Christ like spirit is more important than whether we are Arminians or Calvinists or Lutheran or Traditional ect, ect.

I asked a logical question to a logical argument. But the Sola Scripture card gets played as if that is the ultimate trump card. It is that attitude that condemned Copernicus. I don't care if you disagree with me; that does not make you un-Christian! But how you treat me in your disagreement does! I cannot judge anyone's relationship to Christ, but we are to discern whether one who claims to be is demonstrating "love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control." (Gal 5:22-23) To disagree, even strongly, is not to be unkind or harsh. "But in your hearts revere Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect..." (1Pet 3:15)

If I am ever seeming to treat you or someone else unkindly or rudely, fell free to call me out. I know I've slipped and probably will again, but the last several years I have been trying to improve upon this, for these environs can get the better of all of us at times, and if we are honest, sometimes personalities can do little more than clash!

He is Toplady to my Wesley and frankly, I do not wish to make the same mistakes Wesley did, and that is why I have ignored him for quite a while, even before this latest edition of CARM! I really do respect his knowledge and he is very good at proposing a thesis and making an argument, but bedside manner is not, in my 7+years of experience, his better suit. I wish we could be more of a Wesley vs Whitefield, and I will always hope against hope for such a result, but thus far it has not appeared likely! But being the eternal optimist, I will probably take him off ignore again, but this would only prove my insanity. Here's to belief in miracles!

Doug

Last edited:

Theo1689

if you find Calvinism more appealing, good for you!

It's not a matter of what is more "appealing", it's a matter of which is more BIBLICAL.
That's where Arminians constantly go off the tracks.

"I like the idea of free will better!"

If I am ever seeming to treat you or someone else unkindly or rudely, fell free to call me out.

You do it all the time.
But you deny it, so what's the point in calling you out?
So you can play the "victim"?

and if we are honest, sometimes personalities can do little more than clash!

Perhaps you should rebuke me for emphasizing your comment about discriminating between doctrines you would or would not be willing to die on a hill for?

I really do respect his knowledge and he is very good at proposing a thesis and making an argument,

Thank you. I believe you meant that sincerely.

but bedside manner is not, in my 7+years of experience, his better suit.

Thank you for the insult.
People can criticize me for being blunt, if they wish. But being blunt is not a sin.
But my purpose here is not to blow sunshine up people's butts, and tell them how great they are. I do my best to stick to the facts, and to refrain from personal remarks.

I wish we could be more of a Wesley vs Whitefield, and I will always hope against hope for such a result,

Einstein said that doing the same thing over and over again, expecting different results, is the definition of insanity. I have told you repeatedly that "rationalization" and "analogy" is NOT the proper way to do apologetics, since you can invent an analogy to "prove" anything under the sun.

"Analogies" don't "prove" anything.
All they do is help people understand your position.
I understand your position.
Your position is anti-Biblical.
That is an undeniable fact.
If you don't like me stating a fact, that is (frankly) not my problem.

but thus far it has not appeared likely!

You cannot control how I respond.
You can control how YOU respond.
I suggest, therefore, that logic dictates that you concentrate on that.

Carbon

a Christ like spirit is more important than whether we are Arminians or Calvinists or Lutheran or Traditional ect, ect.

I don't care if you disagree with me; that does not make you un-Christian! But how you treat me in your disagreement does! I cannot judge anyone's relationship to Christ, but we are to discern whether one who claims to be is demonstrating "love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control." (Gal 5:22-23) To disagree, even strongly, is not to be unkind or harsh. "But in your hearts revere Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect..." (1Pet 3:15)

If I am ever seeming to treat you or someone else unkindly or rudely, fell free to call me out. I know I've slipped and probably will again, but the last several years I have been trying to improve upon this, for these environs can get the better of all of us at times, and if we are honest, sometimes personalities can do little more than clash!

Doug
Yes, a Christ like spirit is important. I agree.
I agree with what you say about things as edited.
concerning myself, one thing that bothers me is the tone I sometimes address things while I post. I need that reminder, so thank you.

I enjoy discussing scripture and a good debate and so does the old man in me, so life is that constant battle.

blessings

civic

Yes, a Christ like spirit is important. I agree.
I agree with what you say about things as edited.
concerning myself, one thing that bothers me is the tone I sometimes address things while I post. I need that reminder, so thank you.

I enjoy discussing scripture and a good debate and so does the old man in me, so life is that constant battle.

blessings
Yes we should all strive to uphold the following in spite of our differences.

In essentials, unity; in non-essentials, liberty; in all things, charity.