Who or What is the Trinity ?

God is a Trinity of persons: The Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. The Father is not the same person as the Son; the Son is not the same person as the Holy Spirit; and the Holy Spirit is not the same person as Father. They are not three gods and not three beings. They are three distinct persons; yet, they are all the one God. Each has a will, can speak, can love, etc., and these are demonstrations of personhood. They are in absolute perfect harmony consisting of one substance. They are coeternal, coequal, and copowerful. If any one of the three were removed, there would be no God.

Jesus, the Son, is one person with two natures: Divine and Human. This is called the Hypostatic Union. The Holy Spirit is also divine in nature and is self-aware, the third person of the Trinity.

The word "person" is used to describe the three "Persons" of the Godhead because the word "person" is appropriate. A person is self-aware, can speak, love, hate, say "you," "yours," "me," "mine," etc. The three Persons in the Trinity demonstrate these qualities.

What is so hard to understand about God being Triune? The Father is not the Son. The Son is not the Holy Spirit; and the Holy Spirit is not the Father. God is a Trinity (Tri-Unity) of 3 Persons who are the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. The Trinity is not three gods nor is the Trinity three beings. We call them "Persons" because each one of Them have a will, speak, teach, love, receive praise, prayer, share the same Glory, etc. These are all characteristics of person-hood. They are of one substance, nature, essence or Being. You cannot have the Father without the Son, the Son without the Father, The Son without the Holy Spirit or you would not have the God according to Scripture, you would have a false god or what is known as an idol.

hope this helps,
Hi Civic I hope it helps to. You see this morning I decided I was going to do an in-depth study on the Holy Spirit. I thought I would start off with "who is the Holy Spirit". I intend to partially utilize the Carm forum in this endeavor. Just to be clear I believe that the Holy Spirit is God. That He is God, the Holy Spirit. That He is Co-equal, co-eternal, and co-existing with God the Father and God the Son, Jesus.

The reason it is so important to recognize Him as God is that first of all, that’s who He is. But second it is so we can give Him the respect He deserves. Sadly I believe that in Christianity today the Holy Spirit gets somewhat overlooked.

Even though every trait attributed to God, such as omnipotence, omniscience, omnipresence, love, joy, mercy, peace, patience, graciousness, all are characteristics of the Holy Spirit, because He is God. So for me any understanding of who the Holy Spirit is and the way He works must start there.

What I'm really focusing on in my study on the Holy Spirit today is how He helps us interpret Scripture. Any insight or pointers you may have would be greatly appreciated.

Take for example John 3:16, we all know that one by heart and you can clearly see all three members of the Trinity working there. I believe the Holy Spirit could teach me a multitude of biblical truth from that one verse. I believe that what the Holy Spirit wants to Teach me is where he'll lead me in this verse.

Like God is a giving loving God. Or that the Holy Spirit leads us into belief. Or that Jesus and His sacrifice gives us everlasting life. What I'm trying to say is the Holy Spirit can teaches so many things from the Scriptures that we would not see on our own.

What I want to learn today is more about who this Holy Spirit is.

First, answer why no
Hi Civic I hope it helps to. You see this morning I decided I was going to do an in-depth study on the Holy Spirit. I thought I would start off with "who is the Holy Spirit". I intend to partially utilize the Carm forum in this endeavor. Just to be clear I believe that the Holy Spirit is God. That He is God, the Holy Spirit. That He is Co-equal, co-eternal, and co-existing with God the Father and God the Son, Jesus.

The reason it is so important to recognize Him as God is that first of all, that’s who He is. But second it is so we can give Him the respect He deserves. Sadly I believe that in Christianity today the Holy Spirit gets somewhat overlooked.

Even though every trait attributed to God, such as omnipotence, omniscience, omnipresence, love, joy, mercy, peace, patience, graciousness, all are characteristics of the Holy Spirit, because He is God. So for me any understanding of who the Holy Spirit is and the way He works must start there.

What I'm really focusing on in my study on the Holy Spirit today is how He helps us interpret Scripture. Any insight or pointers you may have would be greatly appreciated.

Take for example John 3:16, we all know that one by heart and you can clearly see all three members of the Trinity working there. I believe the Holy Spirit could teach me a multitude of biblical truth from that one verse. I believe that what the Holy Spirit wants to Teach me is where he'll lead me in this verse.

Like God is a giving loving God. Or that the Holy Spirit leads us into belief. Or that Jesus and His sacrifice gives us everlasting life. What I'm trying to say is the Holy Spirit can teaches so many things from the Scriptures that we would not see on our own.

First, answer why it is...in the Text...no one EVER worshiped, prayed to directly, or...asked anything of MISTER Holy Ghost, whuh whuh WHY he be so not speaking from his OWN self anyhow, for instance sir? Jn 16...watch how the NIV mangles it: He will not speak on his own; he will speak only what he hears, and he will tell you what is yet to come. The GREEK is, "not for it shall be talking from self."

A person is defined as "a human being". Is this different from your definition?

I believe God exists eternally and simultaneously as Father, Son and Holy Spirit. I also believe one of the attributes of God is His will. How can God have 3 wills and remain 1? Are you referring to Luke 22:42?
Angels aren't Human Beings, but they ARE people. If they are people, other Beings as great as Humanity or Greater than Angels could also be Persons; right? ~ Is Personhood the Category that the word People belongs to?

Angels aren't Human Beings, but they ARE people. If they are people, other Beings as great as Humanity or Greater than Angels could also be Persons; right? ~ Is Personhood the Category that the word People belongs to?
Angels are people? Definition people: human beings in general or considered collectively. Waitaminute, you capitalized "ARE." You must be right then, rev?

Angels are people? Definition people: human beings in general or considered collectively. Waitaminute, you capitalized "ARE." You must be right then, rev?
Nice to meet you George! I've been discussing these issues for quite a while now, so I'll let you know how I usually handle things. When I say something that should be 'Self Evident' to everyone, like all Persons are People; and then someone reacts as if they didn't know that Angels are Persons, then I usually like to hand that responder off to another Poster for them to deal with. I hear that Civic is a good person to hand Posters off to...

Last edited:
According to your belief, if the HS (a person) is God and co-equal with two other (persons) then those two others are two other co-equal Gods.
That makes three co-equal Gods sir.
That is because a man cannot serve two masters far more three.
who does he work for?
1 John 5:20
And we know that the Son of God is come, and hath given us an understanding, that we may know him that is true, and we are in him that is true, even in his Son Jesus Christ. This is the true God, and eternal life.
Yet you are seeking Civic to teach you truth
Nope you are saying Civic can teach you...I don't see you asking God
You want to learn what Civic teaches about the HS not what the scripture teaches because what the scripture teaches is written in the scripture...
But you already believe what is not written in the scripture... Just to be clear I believe that the Holy Spirit is God. That He is God, the Holy Spirit. That He is Co-equal, co-eternal, and co-existing with God the Father and God the Son, Jesus. Those are not written in the scripture are they?

I don't consider angels "people".

Before we discuss this, we would have to define and agree on the definition of:
1. Person
2. Personhood
Let's start with Beings who have sentient Minds equal or greater than the Human standard, as part of their Essence; even Beings who do not need bodies, like those who are in Hades etc...

Angels aren't Human Beings, but they ARE people.
If they are not human beings then they are not people. Angel simply means messenger. There are no spiritual or divine attributes to the word. If a spirit messenger then a celestial being.
1 Corinthians 15:40
There are also celestial bodies, and bodies terrestrial: but the glory of the celestial is one, and the glory of the terrestrial is another.
If they are people,
there are no IFs
other Beings as great as Humanity or Greater than Angels could also be Persons; right?
not when person is attributed to only human beings.
~ Is Personhood the Category that the word People belongs to?
Person and people refer to human beings...

Let's start with Beings who have sentient Minds equal or greater than the Human standard, as part of their Essence; even Beings who do not need bodies, like those who are in Hades etc...
a being does not only refer to person/people but person/people refer only to human beings

Yes, so Humans are persons, and beings. The Trinity defines God as 3 persons, 1 being.

Even insects are beings.

Yes, so Humans are persons, and beings. The Trinity defines God as 3 persons, 1 being.

Even insects are beings.

I'm going to call it a night, but first I'll tell you what just happened here with us. You wanted to define Personhood, so I offered up something we both should have agreed is an Unalienable Truth. But you offer insects as an rebuttal of my definition of personhood, even though my suggestion included Sentience. I really prefer to discuss things with people who really want to try; I don't think you're trying very hard, unless you're trying hard to not get where we've agreed to go...

Please forgive me, somehow my comment got put in a quote under your name or something...

Last edited:
God is a Trinity of persons: The Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. The Father is not the same person as the Son; the Son is not the same person as the Holy Spirit; and the Holy Spirit is not the same person as Father. They are not three gods and not three beings. They are three distinct persons; yet, they are all the one God. Each has a will, can speak, can love, etc., and these are demonstrations of personhood. They are in absolute perfect harmony consisting of one substance. They are coeternal, coequal, and copowerful. If any one of the three were removed, there would be no God.

Can you clarify what you mean by "substance"...

Do you and I "consist of one substance"?

If you say Yes, then does that make the two of us one "being"?

The Holy Spirit is so awesome! I can see that He is a person in a multitude of ways in Scripture. The main evidences is that the Bible repeatedly and consistently uses personal pronouns to refer to Him. He is called “He,” “Him,” and so on, not “it.” Also, He does things that we associate with personality. He teaches, He inspires, He guides, He leads, He grieves, He convicts us of sin, and more. Impersonal objects do not behave in this manner. Only a person can do these things.

But the Holy Spirit is seen in Scripture not merely as personal but also as fully divine. One place you can find that is in the book of Acts:

But a man named Ananias, with his wife Sapphira, sold a piece of property, and with his wife’s knowledge he kept back for himself some of the proceeds and brought only a part of it and laid it at the apostles’ feet. But Peter said, “Ananias, why has Satan filled your heart to lie to the Holy Spirit and to keep back for yourself part of the proceeds of the land? While it remained unsold, did it not remain your own? And after it was sold, was it not at your disposal? Why is it that you have contrived this deed in your heart? You have not lied to man but to God.” (5:1–4)

The sin of Ananias and Sapphira was that they pretended that their donation to the church was greater than it was. They lied about the amount of the gift they were making to God. I guess They wanted to look like big shots. Peter drops a big rebuke on them. He began by asking, “Ananias, why has Satan filled your heart to lie to the Holy Spirit?” Then the one-two punch, “You have not lied to man but to God.” So, the lie that Ananias told to the Holy Spirit was actually told to God. That's a clear implication that the Holy Spirit is God.

So you believe you and I are one substance.

And just to clarify your response...

You are saying that you and I are one being. Correct?
I have one nature, a human nature.

Jesus has 2 natures- a Divine and human nature.

The Father and Holy Spirit have One nature- a Divine nature.

hope this helps !!!

Back