WHO said "Let us make man" and to WHOM were they speaking?

I have two questions concerning this verse...

Genesis 1:26... And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Question 1... WHO said "Let us make man" and to WHOM were they speaking?

My answer... Yahweh immanent as a living soul named the Word of God (or Son of God) was speaking to Yahweh immanent as spirit named the Spirit of God (or Holy Spirit).

Question 2... What did they MEAN by "in our image, after our likeness"? Let us make man ______________.

My answer... Let us make man a living soul.

Since God's plan was...
Genesis 1:26... Let us make man in our image, after our likeness.

And the result was...
Genesis 2:7... And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.

P.S. Could you provide an overview of what you believe. Here is mine...

For this creation, YHWH God (the only one who transcends all creations) determined to create a universe with a kingdom of redeemed humans (living souls) for his glory where he would reign as a living soul himself. The Scriptures describe how God would accomplish his plan. In an instant, transcendent God (called God the Father) created the supernatural and space-time of this universe and also became immanent as a spirit (called the Spirit of God) and in the form of a living soul (called the Word of God) with a glorious body. God the Father then created all things within the universe by the power of the Spirit of God commanded by the Word of God. But whereas God created a human spirit and soul for each of us, God himself as the Word became the human spirit and soul of Jesus. At his conception, Jesus' glorious body was changed to a mortal body to be made like us so he could make reconciliation for our sins. At his resurrection, Jesus' mortal body was changed back to a glorious body and he will also give each of his elect a glorious body when he returns to reign in his kingdom forever.

Last edited:

Our Lord's God

Genesis 1:26... And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

My answer... Yahweh immanent as a living soul named the Word of God (or Son of God) was speaking to Yahweh immanent as spirit named the Spirit of God (or Holy Spirit).

Question 2... What did they MEAN by "in our image, after our likeness"? Let us make man ______________.

Since God's plan was...

And the result was...
Genesis 2:7... And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.

For this creation, YHWH God (the only one who transcends all creations) determined to create a universe with a kingdom of redeemed humans (living souls) for his glory where he would reign as a living soul himself. The Scriptures describe how God would accomplish his plan. In an instant, transcendent God (called God the Father) created the supernatural and space-time of this universe and also became immanent as a spirit (called the Spirit of God) and in the form of a living soul (called the Word of God) with a glorious body. God the Father then created all things within the universe by the power of the Spirit of God commanded by the Word of God. But whereas God created a human spirit and soul for each of us, God himself as the Word became the human spirit and soul of Jesus. At his conception, Jesus' glorious body was changed to a mortal body to be made like us so he could make reconciliation for our sins. At his resurrection, Jesus' mortal body was changed back to a glorious body and he will also give each of his elect a glorious body when he returns to reign in his kingdom forever.

Jesus Christ's God is speaking at Genesis 1:26.

There is only one God to refer TO - Jesus Christ's God.

Jesus Christ's God is speaking at Genesis 1:26.

There is only one God to refer TO - Jesus Christ's God.

You didn't answer the two questions completely and I thought they were fairly clear.

You said "Jesus Christ's God" was speaking, but you did not say to WHOM.

You did not answer at all.

Our Lord's God

You didn't answer the two questions completely and I thought they were fairly clear.

You said "Jesus Christ's God" was speaking, but you did not say to WHOM.

The image is given - "male and female He made them."

This "male and female" is the image of "US." It's quite obvious.

Who is the US and OUR in 1:26?????

That is funny because YOU didn't answer the questions either. :)

Are YOU able to answer the questions...

Last edited:

Since God's plan was...

And the result was...

I believe it is the divine counsel, although I am not opposed to it being YHWH communicating between Incarnate and Spirit. I do believe that gets read into the text though.

johnny guitar

That is funny because YOU didn't answer the questions either. :)

Are YOU able to answer the questions...

We do NOT know which Person/Persons within The Godhead was speaking.
The text does NOT say.

I believe it is the divine counsel, although I am not opposed to it being YHWH communicating between Incarnate and Spirit. I do believe that gets read into the text though.

Before Genesis 1:26, there are only two characters mentioned, God and the Spirit of God.

Personally, I think to add any other characters (a "divine counsel" for example) is adding to the text.

But I am willing to agree to disagree. :)

Hey, you didn't fully answer the two questions...

You didn't say WHO was speaking, only that they were speaking to "the divine counsel".

Before Genesis 1:26, there are only two characters mentioned, God and the Spirit of God.

Personally, I think to add any other characters (a "divine counsel" for example) is adding to the text.

But I am willing to agree to disagree. :)

Hey, you didn't fully answer the two questions...

You didn't say WHO was speaking, only that they were speaking to "the divine counsel".

1. YHWH is speaking to angels or something else. I also think the very next verse is important, because it changes back to God speaking in the singular.

Why do you assume that the first character mentioned is YHWH incarnate and not YHWH transcendent? Just curious.

2. Not exactly sure. Maybe something about us physically and spiritually.

We do NOT know which Person/Persons within The Godhead was speaking.
The text does NOT say.

Thank you for your answer. One down, one to go...

Your answer... One of the three divine Persons (not sure which one) was speaking to the other two divine Persons.

You did not answer this question yet.

Why do you assume that the first character mentioned is YHWH incarnate and not YHWH transcendent? Just curious.

I don't. :)

I think Yahweh is mentioned three different ways in the first three verses of the Bible...

Genesis 1:1... In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.

I think the word "God" there must refer to Yahweh in transcendence since you have to be transcendent of the universe to create it.

Genesis 1:2... And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.

I think "the Spirit of God" there must refer to Yahweh in immanence because he "moved upon the face of the waters" and you have to be immanent within the universe to do that.

Genesis 1:3... And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.

I think "God" there must be referring to Yahweh immanent (he is within the the universe) and incarnate (he is speaking).

johnny guitar

Thank you for your answer. One down, one to go...

Your answer... One of the three divine Persons (not sure which one) was speaking to the other two divine Persons.

You did not answer this question yet.

In the image and likeness of God.

TrevorL

Greetings Yahchristian,
The question is incorrect when you ask “to WHOM were they speaking”, as Genesis 1:26 states “And God said”, that is the One God, Yahweh, God the Father said. Only One Person was speaking. Thus my answer is: God the Father was speaking to the Angels, inviting them to participate in the creation of man, refer Psalm 8:5 where Yahweh is distinguished from the Angels (Elohim) when speaking of the creation of man.

Again, only God is speaking, so you are wrong in saying: "What did they MEAN". God with the help of the Angels was going to create man, and there is some resemblance between God and the Angels and man, and David describes this resemblance when he summarises the creation of man:
Psalm 8:5 (KJV): For thou hast made him a little lower than the angels

Man was made a physical being, from the dust, and had the potential to grow in character and wisdom to reflect the character of God and the Angels. Hence there was both a moral capacity and also some reflection of the physical attributes and likeness of the Angels. Man was not made as an immortal soul, but a physical soul or being, a living soul, and he was sentenced to death and to return to the dust when he sinned, and when he died he would be a dead soul:
Genesis 3:19 (KJV): In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread, till thou return unto the ground; for out of it wast thou taken: for dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return.

I will not answer your summary, except to say it is terribly confusing and I disagree completely. My summary is based upon what I have stated above. The final outcome necessitated God to intervene and give birth to Jesus, the Son of God, with God the Father as his father and Mary as his mother. Jesus will fulfill the role initially anticipated for Adam, and become the Lord of the Earth, and this will be the New Creation when Jesus returns Psalm 8. Jesus is already the firstborn of this new creation, and the faithful are being developed and will more fully be part of the new creation when they are raised from the read and given immortality.

Kind regards
Trevor

The question is incorrect when you ask “to WHOM were they speaking”...

Again, only God is speaking, so you are wrong in saying: "What did they MEAN"...

I asked "who" so "they" is the proper term for an unspecified antecedent. That is the English lesson for the day. :)

Thus my answer is: God the Father was speaking to the Angels, inviting them to participate in the creation of man, refer Psalm 8:5 where Yahweh is distinguished from the Angels (Elohim) when speaking of the creation of man.

Your answer... God the Father was speaking to the Angels.

Just to clarify since you capitalized Angels which would normally signify deity. Do you believe the Angels are divine?

God with the help of the Angels was going to create man, and there is some resemblance between God and the Angels and man, and David describes this resemblance when he summarises the creation of man:

Man was made a physical being, from the dust, and had the potential to grow in character and wisdom to reflect the character of God and the Angels. Hence there was both a moral capacity and also some reflection of the physical attributes and likeness of the Angels. Man was not made as an immortal soul, but a physical soul or being, a living soul, and he was sentenced to death and to return to the dust when he sinned, and when he died he would be a dead soul:
Genesis 3:19 (KJV): In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread, till thou return unto the ground; for out of it wast thou taken: for dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return.

I think your answer is... Let us make man a little lower than the Angels.

I was not certain based on your answer, so correct me if I was mistaken.

If that is your answer, should I have Angels capitalized or not?

Tanachreader

It is ridicules to say angels as you do not realize God needs no one to help.
Lazarus was dead, his rotten destroyed body was recreated just by Jesus telling him to come forth.

The WORD spoke!

Lazarus was dead, his rotten destroyed body was recreated just by Jesus telling him to come forth.

The WORD spoke!

You did NOT answer the questions fully...

I am not sure if your answer was to the OP, but even if it was...

Your answer... The Word was speaking, but you did not say to WHOM.

You did not answer this question.

TrevorL

Greetings again Yahchristian and Greetings Tanachreader,
I asked "who" so "they" is the proper term for an unspecified antecedent. That is the English lesson for the day. :)
You must have gone to a different English class than me. Only one person was speaking.

Just to clarify since you capitalized Angels which would normally signify deity. Do you believe the Angels are divine?
I capitalise the Angels because they are important, they are of the Divine nature in that they are immortal, and they speak and act on God’s behalf and they are much greater in authority and power than us. It is also correct to write "angels".

I think your answer is... Let us make man a little lower than the Angels.
I was not certain based on your answer, so correct me if I was mistaken.
My answer is that the terms of Genesis 1:26-27 need to be understood in harmony with David’s commentary and summary of Genesis 1:26-27 in Psalm 8:5, which clearly identifies that in Genesis 1:26-27 the One God, Yahweh, God the Father is speaking to the Angels, inviting them to participate with Him in the creation of man in their image and after their likeness. Of necessity, as both God and the Angels are immortal and also possess many other higher qualities and characteristics, then they were not created equal to God, or equal to the lesser creatures, the Angels, and as a result when David comments on Genesis 1:26-27 and summarises what was accomplished, he states that Yahweh made man a little lower than the Angels.

You have quoted Genesis 2:7 which in itself is correct but in your summary you claim that this was creating the pre-existent Jesus as a living soul and you also claim that God the Father is a living soul. I therefore reject your answer because you misunderstand Genesis 2:7 and I reject your summary because it is not correct.

God is all powerful, but He delights to have others to share in His work, and in His purpose. This is one reason why He created man to have dominion, when God Himself could rule without the help of man. The Angels use the wisdom and power that God has given them

Jesus spoke, but it was the wisdom and power that had been given to Jesus that resulted in the healing of his rotting body and the raising of Lazarus.

The WORD spoke!
In Genesis 1:26 God was speaking, and he was speaking words "Let us make .."

Kind regards
Trevor

johnny guitar

Greetings Yahchristian,

The question is incorrect when you ask “to WHOM were they speaking”, as Genesis 1:26 states “And God said”, that is the One God, Yahweh, God the Father said. Only One Person was speaking. Thus my answer is: God the Father was speaking to the Angels, inviting them to participate in the creation of man, refer Psalm 8:5 where Yahweh is distinguished from the Angels (Elohim) when speaking of the creation of man.

Again, only God is speaking, so you are wrong in saying: "What did they MEAN". God with the help of the Angels was going to create man, and there is some resemblance between God and the Angels and man, and David describes this resemblance when he summarises the creation of man:

I will not answer your summary, except to say it is terribly confusing and I disagree completely. My summary is based upon what I have stated above. The final outcome necessitated God to intervene and give birth to Jesus, the Son of God, with God the Father as his father and Mary as his mother. Jesus will fulfill the role initially anticipated for Adam, and become the Lord of the Earth, and this will be the New Creation when Jesus returns Psalm 8. Jesus is already the firstborn of this new creation, and the faithful are being developed and will more fully be part of the new creation when they are raised from the read and given immortality.

Kind regards
Trevor
Angels had NOTHING to do with the creation of man or anything else and man was made in the image of God, NOT angels, thus your explanation is REFUTED.