Who was Heli?

I don't see any evidence that Paul adopted Onesimus as his son, at least in the sense which you seem to have in mind. This seems to be a florid way of Paul saying that he converted Onesimus (now his 'brother', v. 16, like Philemon himself) while he was in prison. Similar language is used of Timothy elsewhere in the Pauline corpus, and most telling is something like 1 Corinthians 4:14f:

14I do not write these things to shame you, but to admonish you as my beloved children (
τέκνα). 15For if you were to have countless tutors in Christ, yet you would not have many fathers, for in Christ Jesus I became your father (ἐγέννησα) through the gospel. (NASB)

These are the same terms as used in verse 10 of Philemon.
I am sure he did not adopt him in a legal sense; I was assuming Onesimus was an adult, for one thing, though as I type that, I am now wondering if that is necessarily true.

Anyway, the point is he calls Onesimus his "begotten" son, when Onesimus was certainly not his biological son.

I am sure he did not adopt him in a legal sense; I was assuming Onesimus was an adult, for one thing, though as I type that, I am now wondering if that is necessarily true.
In Roman culture one can adopt an adult, in our sense, so I’m confused by this comment.
Anyway, the point is he calls Onesimus his "begotten" son, when Onesimus was certainly not his biological son.
He does no such thing.

This aside, I still don’t understand what you’re driving at: Paul says he fathered Onesimus, which clearly is not meant literally or as a reference to adoption. What’s significant about this for you?

In Roman culture one can adopt an adult, in our sense, so I’m confused by this comment.
Okay, I was not aware of that.

I earlier said:
He does no such thing.
Can you support that? Can you say what he says instead? It might be helpful to the discussion to do that, rather that just flatly say I am wrong. Here is the verse:

Philemon 1:10 I appeal to you for my son Onesimus, whom I have begotten while in my chains,

Are you saying Onesimus was Paul's biological son? Given your next comment, clearly not. So are you saying Paul is not calling Onesimus his "begotten" son in the above verse? It surely reads that way to me.

This aside, I still don’t understand what you’re driving at: Paul says he fathered Onesimus, which clearly is not meant literally or as a reference to adoption. What’s significant about this for you?
That he uses the word "begotten". Hence the use of that word elsewhere does not prove the author believed Jesus was the actual son of God, rather than the adopted son of God.

Last edited:
Can you support that? Can you say what he says instead? It might be helpful to the discussion to do that, rather that just flatly say I am wrong. Here is the verse:

Philemon 1:10 I appeal to you for my son Onesimus, whom I have begotten while in my chains,

Are you saying Onesimus was Paul's biological son? Given your next comment, clearly not. So are you saying Paul is not calling Onesimus his "begotten" son in the above verse? It surely reads that way to me.
He doesn’t call him his ‘begotten son’, but says that he begot him.
That he uses the word "begotten". Hence the use of that word elsewhere does not prove the author believed Jesus was the actual son of God, rather than the adopted son of God.
Where does Paul use this elsewhere, of God begetting Jesus?

He doesn’t call him his ‘begotten son’, but says that he begot him.
Okay, and why could you not have just said that in your earlier post?

What difference does that make to the point? I originally said "To Paul at least, "begotten" could include adopted"; as far as I can see, that still stands.

Where does Paul use this elsewhere, of God begetting Jesus?
I do not think he does. You should be able to search an online Bible to find out.

Okay, and why could you not have just said that in your earlier post?

What difference does that make to the point? I originally said "To Paul at least, "begotten" could include adopted"; as far as I can see, that still stands.

I do not think he does. You should be able to search an online Bible to find out.
Now you’ve really lost me. You say that you cited Philemon 1:10 as evidence that for Paul ‘‘begotten’ could include adopted’ and so ‘the use of that word elsewhere does not prove the author believed Jesus was the actual son of God, rather than the adopted son of God’.

Yet you seem to accept that Paul isn’t talking about adoption in Philemon after all and that he doesn’t say God begot Jesus elsewhere. So what are you saying?

Last edited:
Now you’ve really lost me. You say that you cited Philemon 1:10 as evidence that for Paul ‘‘begotten’ could include adopted’ and so ‘the use of that word elsewhere does not prove the author believed Jesus was the actual son of God, rather than the adopted son of God’.

Yet you seem to accept that Paul isn’t talking about adoption in Philemon after all and that he doesn’t say God begot Jesus elsewhere. So what are you saying?
Apologies, I had no idea it was this complicated.

Another poster said: "Jesus was begotten not adopted. As a Christian I am adopted by God through Christ."

I responded: "Bear in mind what Paul said of Onesimus
To Paul at least, "begotten" could include adopted."

My point being that the Bible saying Jesus was God's begotten son does not tell us the author did not believe God adopted Jesus, given the term "begotten" is also used in one instance where it clearly means the guy was not the biological offspring.

The verse Philemon 1:10 proves that begotten is not used exclusively to show a "biological" parent-child relationship. I do not really know how I can say it any more plainly.

You said before: "He doesn’t call him his ‘begotten son’, but says that he begot him." I asked you to clarify, and you have yet to do so. Why is that? There comes a point when I start to wonder if you are just trolling me. You keep questioning everything I say, and okay, I get you are struggling to understand, but at the same time you are choosing not to clarify what you say when asked. What is going on here, Lucian?

The gentile way was an increasing Christology - Jesus becoming increasingly god-like, until he was believed to be part of the trinity.
I'm not a trinitarian.
I was thinking in a different sense. A person could be resurrected in their original body, injuries and all. This is how Luke and John portray it.

Or a person can be resurrected in a new body. This is what the Jews - the Pharisees anyway - believed.
Or both
My understanding of the resurrection is when the resurrection takes place (1 Thess 4:16-18, 1 Cor 15:50-52) will be all be changed. This includes both good and evil men. Paul goes into depth about the resurrection in. 1 Cor15.
Jesus' resurrection was a change in his natural body.
Also remember what Paul saw on the road to Damascus - a bright light, but Jesus in his original body.
Paul didn't see Jesus in his original material body but with his changed, resurrected spiritual body that never dies.
A little more speculative, but I think Jesus also alluded to this:

Mat 22:30 At the resurrection people will neither marry nor be given in marriage; they will be like the angels in heaven.

I think he means they will be resurrected in new spiritual bodies that will shine like stars, and physical concerns like sex and marriage will be irrelevant.
https://www.gotquestions.org/the-Way.html
I think we will be resurrected into spiritual bodies and those who are alive at the resurrection will have their natural bodies changed to spiritual bodies.
1 Cor 15:51 Listen, I tell you a mystery: We will not all sleep, but we will all be changed— 52 in a flash, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound, the dead will be raised imperishable, and we will be changed.

When he says "sleep", he is obviously talking about death. He is saying to his fellow Christians, "We will not all die before the End Times arrive - the dead will be raised in new bodies, but we who are still alive with be transformed, so we too will have new bodies." He is counting himself among those who will be transformed from living to spiritual bodies; hence he though he would be alive at the time.
Those who are alive will have had their material bodies changed or transformed to spiritual bodies.
What is your point?
Paul was preaching the Jewish version to both Jew and gentile - that Jesus was the Jewish messiah, so had to be the seed of David, as you say.
Everyone preaches the "jewish version". I do not know of any believer (except gnostics like @docphin5 who would claim that Jesus is not a Jew nor Jesus is not the Messiah (Christ).
He undoubtedly did tell Luke that, but over the next few decades beliefs changed, and the gentile version, with Jesus the product of a virgin birth, became popular - at least with gentile Christians - so Luke records that, with the genealogy qualified "as was supposed".
Your assertions continue to be unsupported and speculative.
The gospel of John is actually quite anti-Jewish in a them-and-us sense; the "Jews" are very much seen as a people opposed to Jesus and his followers, rather than a people that included them. Look up the word "jews" in an online Bible.
The "us vs them" were Christ followers vs the Jewish leaders not the Jewish people.
Paul believed everyone (the righteous, anyway) would be resurrected, and the resurrection process would be the same for all. Jesus was special, and singled out to be resurrected first, but what happened to Jesus would happened to everyone. Jesus was the prototype for the process, and Paul uses what happened to Jesus to determine what would happen to everyone else.
Yes
The later gentile view was quite different. To them, what happened to Jesus was unique to him. Jesus was divine, so different rules applied. His resurrection was a one off. The resurrection for the ordinary Christian would be quite different - I would guess you do not even call it resurrection, just going into the afterlife.
More speculation without support. Most believers who believe the Bible is inspired agree with Paul. I don't know what you are talking about when you speak of a later "gentile view".

The Apostle's Creed

I believe in God the Father, Almighty, Maker of heaven and earth:
And in Jesus Christ, his only begotten Son, our Lord:
Who was conceived by the Holy Ghost, born of the Virgin Mary:
Suffered under Pontius Pilate; was crucified, dead and buried: He descended into hell:
The third day he rose again from the dead:
He ascended into heaven, and sits at the right hand of God the Father Almighty:
From thence he shall come to judge the quick and the dead:
I believe in the Holy Ghost:
I believe in the holy catholic church: the communion of saints:
The forgiveness of sins:
The resurrection of the body:
And the life everlasting. Amen.

It appears that way because they diverged so much that the Jewish way looks like a totally different religion, the religion of the Ebionites. But what Paul believed was much closer to the beliefs of the Ebionites than to modern Christianity (and that is despite the Ebionites rejecting Paul as apostate!).
The Ebionites, from the link you gave me, are the Jews who's teaching Paul found to be incorrect and went to Jerusalem to meet with the leaders and apostles to discuss it. Acts 15.
Those two sentences contradict each other! The reality is that there were lots of conflicting views as different groups tried to understand Jesus in different ways, and each group was constantly dealing with what it considered heretics, i.e., the other groups. As well as adoptionism, others believed Jesus was subordinate to God and created later (Arianism) and still others that the father, son and holy spirit were different manifestations of god (Modalism).
The early church was frequently fighting different heresies that were trying to creep in. Many of the epistles were written in part to refute these heresies. The church leaders were in agreement and when they needed to work things out, they met together to discuss issues. Acts 15.
Jude wrote that there was a common faith.

Jude 1:3 Beloved, when I gave all diligence to write unto you of the common salvation, it was needful for me to write unto you, and exhort you that ye should earnestly contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints.
It is possible his attempts at insurrection got quietly forgotten by authors keen to sell the religion to gentiles, but I will accept that is speculation and there is no evidence to support it....

He was crucified for being the messiah, not for causing insurrection or riots against Roman rule. But it was all sedition against Rome.
The Jews were upset with the accusation that was written over Jesus' head.
Just to be clear, Jesus did not incite active sedition or an uprising against the Romans. There were not attempts at insurrection. Jesus was focused on dying for the sins of the world.

You're a chemist, correct? I find your speculations without some type of evidence uncharacteristic of someone who works in the sciences. Why is that?

Bear in mind what Paul said of Onesimus

To Paul at least, "begotten" could include adopted.
My understanding is that Onesimus was not a Christian and Paul converted him. He was "spiritually" begotten or born again by the word which Paul preached when he converted to Christ. Onesimus was not legally adopted by Paul.

Paul also writes of Timothy as being his true child-
1Tim1:1-2 Paul, an apostle of Christ Jesus by the command of God our Savior and of Christ Jesus our hope, 2 To Timothy, my true child in the faith...
also -Rom 16:21, 1 Cor 4:17, 2 Cor 1:1, Phil 2:22, 2 Tim 1:2 Paul also calls Timothy his coworker, my beloved and trustworthy child in the Lord, our brother, how like a son with a father he has served with me in the work of the gospel.

Timothy had a Christian mother and grandmother. His father was a Greek. Paul was not his natural or adoptive father.

-----------------------------------------

As for Jesus, I believe he is the Son of God and a son of Joseph in a different sense, because at the time that Jesus was born Joseph was married to Mary. In the eyes of those around them, Jesus was Joseph's legal son although they did not know that Jesus was not his biological son. Jesus didn't need to be adopted by Joseph to be considered his son.

Mt 13:54 He came to his hometown and began to teach the people in their synagogue, so that they were astounded and said, “Where did this man get this wisdom and these deeds of power? 55 Is not this the carpenter’s son? Is not his mother called Mary? And are not his brothers James and Joseph and Simon and Judas? 56 And are not all his sisters with us? Where then did this man get all this?”

The carpenter in verse 55 is Joseph.

Last edited:
@Caroljeen

I'm curious why you are not a Trinitarian.
Mainly because in the OT God spoke of himself with singular personal pronouns. Secondly because the Hebrew/Jewish nation of Israel understood God to be one person named YHWH. YHWH called Israel to be his witnesses to the surrounding nations in Isaiah 43:1-12. The Jews never understood nor taught that YHWH was a trinity. I would agree with the doctrine of the Trinity if the Jews taught it and if YHWH had revealed to them that YHWH himself was a Trinity. Otherwise, if YHWH was a Trinity then YHWH deceived the nation of Israel and made them false witnesses of who he was.

Isaiah 43:10-12
You are my witnesses, says the Lord,
and my servant whom I have chosen,
so that you may know and believe me
and understand that I am he.
Before me no god was formed,
nor shall there be any after me.
11 I, I am the Lord,
and besides me there is no savior.
12 I am the one who declared and saved and proclaimed,
not some strange god among you;
you are my witnesses, says the Lord, and I am God.

Last edited:
Mainly because in the OT God spoke of himself with singular personal pronouns. Secondly because the Hebrew/Jewish nation of Israel understood God to be one person named YHWH. YHWH called Israel to be his witnesses to the surrounding nations in Isaiah 43:1-12. The Jews never understood nor taught that YHWH was a trinity. I would agree with the doctrine of the Trinity if the Jews taught it and if YHWH had revealed to them that YHWH himself was a Trinity. Otherwise, if YHWH was a Trinity then YHWH deceived the nation of Israel and made them false witnesses of who he was.

Isaiah 43:10-12
You are my witnesses, says the Lord,
and my servant whom I have chosen,
so that you may know and believe me
and understand that I am he.
Before me no god was formed,
nor shall there be any after me.
11 I, I am the Lord,
and besides me there is no savior.
12 I am the one who declared and saved and proclaimed,
not some strange god among you;
you are my witnesses, says the Lord, and I am God.
You might want to expand your library If you want to make educated decisions.

Also, why look to Rabbis to understand Hebrew scripture when they are the descendents of the Pharisees who allegedly killed Jesus and definitely opposed Paul. It would be like asking Putin for advice on how to manage Americas military industrial complex.

Christian: What do the Hebrew scriptures mean to you and why did Jesus not like your exegesis of them?

Rabbi: Yes, my dear child, I would be happy to tell what the Hebrew scriptures mean. As for Jesus there was a slight misunderstanding that I would love to clear up for you. (Wringing hands together, mwaa haa haa echoing in the background). As for Paul, he was a heretic. You would be best ignoring what he said.

Just to fill in some gaps for you, here are prechristian Jewish sources for a divine triad.

Pre-christian evidence for a divine triad
1) The Jewish-Christian sect that we call Essenes today clearly defined a divine Triad in the Dead Sea Scrolls (up to 200 BC). It is different than the Trinity adopted by christian orthodoxy, therefore very important given that it predates the Trinity. But Jewish historians recognize that Essenes developed into Christianity, whereas, Pharisees developed into Rabbinical Judaism. IOW, the Essenes are our natural historical cousins.
2) Philo of Alexandria clearly describes a second God, or son of God, whom he identified as Logos. He also said YHWH Elohim represents two powers, one who condemns and another who saves. A great reference is “The Great Angel“, by Margaret Barker.

I think our heavenly Father and His Son are speaking in unison. Everything they do is in unison. They are One.
I'm not a Trinitarian. I believe God is talking to the angels, including them in his plans.

the next vs 27 So God created humans in his image, in the image of God he created them; male and female he created them.

Why did God drop the third person plural and revert back to 1st person singular?

C S Lewis on the Trinity (from Mere Christianity) • "God is a Being which contains three Persons while remaining one Being….The First Person is called the Father and the Second the Son. We say the First begets or produces the Second; we call it begetting, not making, because what He produces is of the same kind as Himself…. The Son exists because the Father exists: but there was never a time before the Father produced the Son….(He is always), so to speak, streaming forth from the Father, like light from a lamp… or thoughts from a mind. He is the self-expression of the Father – what the Father has to say. And there was never a time when He was not saying it….Much the most important thing to know is that it is a relationship of love. The Father delights in the Son; the Son looks up to His Father….What the Christians mean by the statement "God is love" (1John 4:8) ... is that the living, dynamic activity of love has been going on in God forever and has created everything else….In Christianity God is not a static thing… but a dynamic, pulsating activity, a life, almost a kind of drama. Almost, if you will not think me irreverent, a kind of dance" (pages 172-175). • The union between the Father and the Son is such a live concrete thing that this union itself is also a Person. I know this is almost inconceivable, but look at thus. You know that among human beings, when they get together in a family, or a club, or a trade union, people talk about the ‘spirit’ of that family, or club, or trade union. They talk about it's ‘spirit’ because the individual members, when they are together, do really develop particular ways of talking and behaving which they would not have if they were apart. It is as if a sort of communal personality came into existence. Of course, it is not a real person: it is only rather like a person. But that is just one of the differences between God and us. What grows out of the joint life of the Father and the Son is a real Person, is in fact the Third of the three Persons who are God…. This third Person is called, in technical language, the Holy Ghost or the ‘spirit’ of God. Do not be worried or surprised if you find it (or Him) rather vaguer or more shadowy in your mind than the other two. I think there is a reason why that must be so. In the Christian life you are not usually looking at Him. He is always acting through you. If you think of the Father as something ‘out there’, in front of you, and of the Son as someone standing at your side, helping you to pray, trying to turn you into another son, then you have to think of the third Person as something inside you, or behind you. Perhaps some people might find it easier to begin with the third Person and work backwards: God is love, and that love works through men – especially through the whole community of Christians. But this spirit of love, from all eternity, is a love going on between the Father and the Son” (Pages 175–176). • Spiritual (relational) Formation implications: As the Holy Spirit catches us up into “Their dance”, it makes sense that the way we relate to each other begins to approximate the way “They” relate: - “But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control” (Galatians 5:22-23). - Being filled w the Spirit as the prerequisite for Christian marital and family = relational life (Ephesians 5:18 - 6:9). - “I therefore, a prisoner for the Lord, urge you to walk in a manner worthy of the calling to which you have been called, with all humility and gentleness, with patience, bearing with one another in love, eager to maintain the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace” (Eph. 4:1-3). - “I in them and You in Me, that they may be perfected in unity, so that the world may know that You sent Me, and even as You loved me."(John 17:23)

Everyone preaches the "jewish version". I do not know of any believer (except gnostics like @docphin5 who would claim that Jesus is not a Jew nor Jesus is not the Messiah (Christ).
Nope, your comments distort what I have actually claimed. In a nutshell, I have claimed that The inner “spirit of Jesus” (Phillippians 1:19) is the moral consciousness rising in humans manifest as virtues. His presence in us brings order to our lives, peace to our souls, and hope for the future (ie., eternal future). That would qualify him/her as a Savior too, according to Hebrew scriptures.

“Examine yourselves, to see whether you are in the faith. Test yourselves. Or do you not realize this about yourselves, that Jesus Christ is in you?—unless indeed you fail to meet the test!” (2 cor 13:5)

“the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law.” (Gal 5:22)

I got my eye on you, now. (Gotta watch my back.) :cautious:

Back