Who was on the throne after Zedekiah?

Yahchristian

2 Samuel 7:12-13... And when thy days be fulfilled, and thou shalt sleep with thy fathers, I will set up thy seed after thee, which shall proceed out of thy bowels, and I will establish his kingdom. He shall build an house for my name, and I will stablish the throne of his kingdom for ever.

2 Samuel 7:12-13... And when thy days be fulfilled, and thou shalt sleep with thy fathers, I will set up thy seed after thee, which shall proceed out of thy bowels, and I will establish his kingdom. He shall build an house for my name, and I will stablish the throne of his kingdom for ever.

Nobody. The Monarchy was ended.

David's kingdom was spiritually reestablished after the Jews returned from the Exile and endures forever with the Church. You would have a point if the Jewish religion ceased to exist after 587 BC.

The Monarchy continued to exist even though Israel's subjection to foreign powers meant that none of its kings actually reigned. Matthew's gospel begins with a genealogy showing that Joseph was the real king of the Jews and that Jesus became king because of his relationship with him. Because the Jews rejected him and acknowledged Caesar as their king he has not yet claimed this throne, but instead is now working through the church. At some time in the future God will remove the church be means of the rapture and will once again use the Jews as his chosen people. They will acknowledge their true king when he returns to set up his kingdom on earth.

The answer to the question is "nobody".

The passage cited is about Jesus.

4 . . But that night the word of the Lord came to Nathan, saying:
5 “Go and tell my servant David, ‘This is what the Lord says: Are you the one to build me a house to dwell in? 6 I have not dwelt in a house from the day I brought the Israelites up out of Egypt to this day. I have been moving from place to place with a tent as my dwelling. 7 Wherever I have moved with all the Israelites, did I ever say to any of their rulers whom I commanded to shepherd my people Israel, “Why have you not built me a house of cedar?”’
8 “Now then, tell my servant David, ‘This is what the Lord Almighty says: I took you from the pasture, from tending the flock, and appointed you ruler over my people Israel. 9 I have been with you wherever you have gone, and I have cut off all your enemies from before you. Now I will make your name great, like the names of the greatest men on earth. 10 And I will provide a place for my people Israel and will plant them so that they can have a home of their own and no longer be disturbed. Wicked people will not oppress them anymore, as they did at the beginning 11 and have done ever since the time I appointed leaders[a] over my people Israel. I will also give you rest from all your enemies.
“‘The Lord declares to you that the Lord himself will establish a house for you: 12 When your days are over and you rest with your ancestors, I will raise up your offspring to succeed you, your own flesh and blood, and I will establish his kingdom. 13 He is the one who will build a house for my Name, and I will establish the throne of his kingdom forever. 14 I will be his father, and he will be my son. When he does wrong, I will punish him with a rod wielded by men, with floggings inflicted by human hands. 15 But my love will never be taken away from him, as I took it away from Saul, whom I removed from before you. 16 Your house and your kingdom will endure forever before me[b]; your throne will be established forever.’”
17 Nathan reported to David all the words of this entire revelation.

The bolded passage cannot apply to Solomon (who built the temple). Solomon ascended the throne while David was alive. Solomon was certainly a type.

Zedekiah-- a.k.a. Mattaniah -- didn't succeed Jeconiah by birth-right, nor by
inheritance, nor through Divine channels. He was a political appointee whose
governance was given him by a foreign potentate: the king of Babylon.

2Kgs 24:17 . . The king of Babylon appointed Mattaniah, Jehoiachin’s uncle, king
in his place, changing his name to Zedekiah.

Zedekiah isn't positioned in Christ's genealogy in Matthew's gospel; no doubt
primarily because he wasn't a legitimate successor to David's throne and that's
because it's supposed to pass down from father to son rather than uncle to nephew.
_

The answer to the question is "nobody".

So you believe "for ever" in that verse means "until 587 BC".

Correct?

So you believe "for ever" in that verse means "until 587 BC".

Correct?

No. Read the verse and/or my post. "Forever" begins at a time future from David's death.

Solomon can't be the literal fulfillment as 1) he was already on the throne when David died and 2) Solomon's kingdom ended.

David's kingdom was spiritually reestablished after the Jews returned from the Exile and endures forever with the Church. You would have a point if the Jewish religion ceased to exist after 587 BC.

You do realize that only about 2% of Israelis are Christians. And only 37% of Conservative Jews, 18% of Reform Jews and 12% of Jews with no denomination even believe in God of the Bible.

Correct?

I am not asking if you are happy about that fact, just if you are even aware of that fact.

Source: Pew Research Center

So what makes you think that is the "spiritually" reestablished kingdom of David?

No. Read the verse and/or my post. "Forever" begins at a time future from David's death.

Solomon can't be the literal fulfillment as 1) he was already on the throne when David died and 2) Solomon's kingdom ended.

2 Kings 8:19... Yet the LORD would not destroy Judah for David his servant's sake, as he promised him to give him alway a light, and to his children.

So what exactly do you think God promised David?

2 Kings 8:19... Yet the LORD would not destroy Judah for David his servant's sake, as he promised him to give him alway a light, and to his children.

So what exactly do you think God promised David?

To answer your question exactly: God promised David:
  1. I will set up thy seed after thee
  2. which shall proceed out of thy bowels
  3. and I will establish his kingdom.
  4. He shall build an house for my name,
  5. I will stablish the throne of his kingdom for ever.

I'm not sure what you think 2 Kings 8:19 brings to the table except to note that God acted on the clauses in his promise.

Apparently, if God let Judah be destroyed at that time, then David's line would have ended and the promised seed wouldn't come through him. A little reading shows that David's line was in a precarious position during its entanglements with Israel and her royals (Ahab and Jezebel and their children see 2 Chron 22), and the promises would have been jeapordized unless God acted as 2 Kings 8:19 points out.

And note that 2 Kings 8 is in the same book as 2 Kings 25. As 2 Kings closes, God acts once again to preserve the royal line and furthermore, Judah wouldn't be subject to Ahab's childten, but to Babylon.

According to Peter, preaching through the inspiration of the Holy Spirit in Acts 2,

Acts 2:29-36 ESV
“Brothers, I may say to you with confidence about the patriarch David that he both died and was buried, and his tomb is with us to this day. Being therefore a prophet, and knowing that God had sworn with an oath to him that he would set one of his descendants on his throne, he foresaw and spoke about the resurrection of the Christ, that he was not abandoned to Hades, nor did his flesh see corruption. This Jesus God raised up, and of that we all are witnesses. Being therefore exalted at the right hand of God, and having received from the Father the promise of the Holy Spirit, he has poured out this that you yourselves are seeing and hearing. For David did not ascend into the heavens, but he himself says, “‘The Lord said to my Lord, “Sit at my right hand, until I make your enemies your footstool.”’ Let all the house of Israel therefore know for certain that God has made him both Lord and Christ, this Jesus whom you crucified.”

The throne promised to David was the resurrection and the Messiah not seeing corruption in the grave. See also 1 Samuel 7 because God never wanted an earthly monarch and took the demand for an earthly monarch as a sinful, covenant-breaking rejection of God as their King.

Back