Why are most of you here...

Gryllus Maior

Well, it doesn't have to be all about the Trinity, does it. You and a couple of others seem incapable of talking about anything else and seem to hijack every thread in that direction. Another reason I'm here is to demonstrate that you are incompetent in the languages and shouldn't be listened to at all.

Well, it doesn't have to be all about the Trinity, does it. You and a couple of others seem incapable of talking about anything else and seem to hijack every thread in that direction. Another reason I'm here is to demonstrate that you are incompetent in the languages and shouldn't be listened to at all.
I believe you've confused me with RJM.

Roger Thornhill

Certainly. I just wonder why those with no knowledge of the original languages insist on discussing the Trinity here.

Perhaps because those who know the languages are aware that what you call the Trinity, that three persons are the same God, equal in knowledge, power and eternity, is not taught by any bible writer in context?

The most knowledgeable trinitarians, such as Daniel Wallace agree it was not taught in the NT.

So to what texts do you refer?

YeshuaFan

Perhaps because those who know the languages are aware that what you call the Trinity, that three persons are the same God, equal in knowledge, power and eternity, is not taught by any bible writer in context?

The most knowledgeable trinitarians, such as Daniel Wallace agree it was not taught in the NT.

The actual term was not in the Bible, but the doctrine can be found in both OT and the NT!

YeshuaFan

You have just proved my position. You don't know the languages and you do say the Trinity doctrine is clearly taught in the Bible in context by a bible writer.
All I know is that in the OT there is the Father, trhe Spirit of the Lord, and the Angel of the Lord all called God!

Perhaps because those who know the languages
Even if someone were teaching false doctrine using the Biblical languages, what could those who don't know the languages say about it? They can offer little more than quotes from the people they consider to be authorities.

are aware that what you call the Trinity, that three persons are the same God, equal in knowledge, power and eternity, is not taught by any bible writer in context?
Perhaps you are aware that not one person on this forum who knows the Biblical languages and is a Trinitarian has started a thread or a discussion about the Trinity? Since no Trinitarian here has started discussions about the Trinity, I ask: what reason do people who don't know the languages have to be here? Not only do they not know the languages, there has been no Trinity doctrine taught that they should feel the need to repudiate.

You have misrepresented me: I didn't refer to any texts, and I didn't refer to NT teaching concerning the Trinity.

Perhaps you are aware that not one person on this forum who knows the Biblical languages and is a Trinitarian has started a thread or a discussion about the Trinity? Since no Trinitarian here has started discussions about the Trinity, I ask: what reason do people who don't know the languages have to be here? Not only do they not know the languages, there has been no Trinity doctrine taught that they should feel the need to repudiate.
You're right. Why discuss it? We have better things to do.

Is Barry Hofstetter hiding out here under an alias?

If someone actually wants help with languages and isn't just trolling then this is where you might get some help. B-Greek has a ban on exegesis and theology so you will have more latitude for discussion here.

Last edited:

Roger Thornhill

Even if someone were teaching false doctrine using the Biblical languages, what could those who don't know the languages say about it? They can offer little more than quotes from the people they consider to be authorities.

You have misrepresented me: I didn't refer to any texts, and I didn't refer to NT teaching concerning the Trinity.

In the thread below someone said original language biblical texts clearly taught the Trinity and you replied "Certainly."

I am most interested in seeing that demonstrated.

Post in thread 'Why are most of you here...'
https://forums.carm.org/threads/why-are-most-of-you-here.1051/post-67314

Roger Thornhill

You're right. Why discuss it? We have better things to do.

Is Barry Hofstetter hiding out here under an alias?

If someone actually wants help with languages and isn't just trolling then this is where you might get some help. B-Greek has a ban on exegesis and theology so you will have more latitude for discussion here.

Someone who writes in the Pennsylvania dialect here goes by @Gryllus Maior but that may be my imagination.

In the thread below someone said original language biblical texts clearly taught the Trinity and you replied "Certainly."

I am most interested in seeing that demonstrated.

Post in thread 'Why are most of you here...'
https://forums.carm.org/threads/why-are-most-of-you-here.1051/post-67314
Here's what I was responding to:
Well, the Trinity is clearly shown in the original language texts as being true!
You've misunderstood nearly all of what has been said. There is nothing there about the original language texts "clearly" teaching about "the Trinity." And I made no comment whatsoever about any texts. You are trying to make a single word statement of general agreement into something it never was. You must think that I am in 100% agreement with YeshuaFan about the "Trinity," too.

Roger Thornhill

Here's what I was responding to:

You've misunderstood nearly all of what has been said. There is nothing there about the original language texts "clearly" teaching about "the Trinity." And I made no comment whatsoever about any texts. You are trying to make a single word statement of general agreement into something it never was. You must think that I am in 100% agreement with YeshuaFan about the "Trinity," too.

Certainly!

Certainly!
You're no better than RJM.
So it's to be expected that you can find fault with what and how I have tried to do this in an informal setting. This forum is supposed to be collegiate, not combative. I expect a certain civility here, and not an atmosphere which is quite common in adversarial apologetics settings. Trying to catch contradictions to prove ones own superiority and not accepting the explanations for them is not acceptable in an academic setting.
I haven't been hateful to you or claimed to be superior to you in the slightest regard. You, alone, are guilty of the things you just mentioned. Here is an example:

Nevertheless, I am sorry you felt I was being disrespectful to you. Which of my post(s) offended you?
I never got a response. I'm still waiting for one.