Why cannot Catholic priests get married after they become priests?

jonathan_hili

when did it change from men marrying women (normally)? in the century that the RCC mandated priests couldn't be married?
It was very early, since in Orthodox and Coptic Churches, a man once a priest cannot get married (and the Copts separated in the 5th century).

Sherman

No all paedophiles should be jailed. I will only point it out when some people falsely claim their institution was founded by Jesus or is the foundation of all truth etc. If you make those big claims then be prepared for your evil fruit to be pointed out.
Jail them and throw away the key.

mica

1 Cor 11:
[5] but any woman who prays or prophesies with her head unveiled dishonors her head -- it is the same as if her head were shaven.
[6] For if a woman will not veil herself, then she should cut off her hair; but if it is disgraceful for a woman to be shorn or shaven, let her wear a veil.

From my understanding, it was in relation to the Hellenistic culture where such women (who were in religious capacities but with heads uncovered) also served sexual capacities in the religious cult, e.g. Bacchanalian feasts, temple prostitutes.
your understanding from what source? what was Paul talking about, what was the context for those verses?

balshan

1 Cor 11:
[5] but any woman who prays or prophesies with her head unveiled dishonors her head -- it is the same as if her head were shaven.
[6] For if a woman will not veil herself, then she should cut off her hair; but if it is disgraceful for a woman to be shorn or shaven, let her wear a veil.

From my understanding, it was in relation to the Hellenistic culture where such women (who were in religious capacities but with heads uncovered) also served sexual capacities in the religious cult, e.g. Bacchanalian feasts, temple prostitutes.
You are unable to stay on the op. Hard is it?

jonathan_hili

so you can't even give a century for it. or when it was for the RCC. the other 2 come before the RCC...
Well, the Copts split in the early-mid 400s, and they still have this discipline, so it came into the Church quite early in its history.

jonathan_hili

your understanding from what source? what was Paul talking about, what was the context for those verses?
I can't remember, something I read somewhere.

The context in 1 Corinthians 11 is about honour before God, prayer and assembling in church.

How do you understand it?

balshan

Maybe but that's a different dispute. The point here is that they were united at this early stage.
No the point is the Roman institution makes out that everyone splits with them. It is not necessary the correct version. They weren't all united at the beginning, they were all separate churches.

jonathan_hili

No the point is the Roman institution makes out that everyone splits with them. It is not necessary the correct version. They weren't all united at the beginning, they were all separate churches.
It they were all separate churches, how do you explain the great ecumenical councils?

jonathan_hili

Easy so many false teachings.
Not according to most Christians. Only according to a fringe group that have unorthodox views.

Which teachings do you believe are false?
- That Jesus has two natures
- That Jesus has two wills
- That the Father, Son and Spirit are God
- That icons can be used

Bonnie

Social conditions change and disciplines can therefore change to fit them. We see that, for instance, with Paul talking about women wearing veils during services.
Where did Paul say women must where VEILS?

But he never said bishops and elders must be unmarried in the church and remain so until death--did he,? In order to serve in the church and distribute Holy Communion and do baptisms?