Why can't God speak for himself?

Cody

So how does your god answer every one of your prayers if you've never had a face to face chat or shared a beer together like Abraham did?
And how do you know that you're talking to a god when you pray?

There are many testimonies about God answering prayers. I am sure you have heard Christians credit God for doing something incredible in their lives. God is everywhere, he can always hear your prayers.

Cody

I have found that to be utterly false.

I've only heard the gospel message from other human beings - never from a god.

Hearing the good news from other people is perfectly acceptable. However, you can always read what Jesus said about salvation for yourself.

Nouveau

Hearing the good news from other people is perfectly acceptable. However, you can always read what Jesus said about salvation for yourself.
Which leads us back to my original point - God needs to take the time to respond if He expects me to believe He is real.

That He doesn't is very strong evidence that He is not real.

J regia

There are many testimonies about God answering prayers. I am sure you have heard Christians credit God for doing something incredible in their lives. God is everywhere, he can always hear your prayers.
But do they have any actual evidence to support their claims, and have they ever had a face to face chat with a god?

Cody

But do they have any actual evidence to support their claims, and have they ever had a face to face chat with a god?
Yes, I know several individuals who were cured of cancer. No, face to face chats with God are relatively rare. Ever since man was kicked out of the garden of Eden, things have been different. Sin separates us from him.

Cody

Which leads us back to my original point - God needs to take the time to respond if He expects me to believe He is real.

That He doesn't is very strong evidence that He is not real.

He might not respond to you in the way you want him to. But, he will answer you if you call out to him.

Cody

No, He really doesn't. He does not answer at all.

Again, this is strong evidence that He is not real.
The fact that you have not had a face to face conversation with God says nothing about his existence. If you want a face to face conversation, you are in luck. Jesus promised that he would return.

Nouveau

The fact that you have not had a face to face conversation with God says nothing about his existence. If you want a face to face conversation, you are in luck. Jesus promised that he would return.
I didn't mention any face-to-face conversation.

I said He doesn't respond when I try to talk to Him.

Again, this is very strong evidence that He is not real.

Nouveau

You will hear his voice when he returns. I assume that is what you are looking for.
No, that is not what I'm looking for. Christians have been waiting millennia for this supposed return.

I'm pointing out that He doesn't respond when I try to talk to him.

You said He would, so the fact that He doesn't is very strong evidence that He isn't real.

Cody

No, that is not what I'm looking for. Christians have been waiting millennia for this supposed return.
God has always been generous like that. He gives people plenty of time to repent.
I'm pointing out that He doesn't respond when I try to talk to him.
What kind of response are you looking for?
You said He would, so the fact that He doesn't is very strong evidence that He isn't real.
No, this would only be evidence that you have not heard from him.

J regia

Yes, I know several individuals who were cured of cancer. No, face to face chats with God are relatively rare. Ever since man was kicked out of the garden of Eden, things have been different. Sin separates us from him.
So what!!! That doesn't mean that a god cured their cancer.

And why can't your god bother to have a face to face chat and share a beer like Abraham's god? Or was that just an imaginative fantasy story in a book?

Cody

So what!!! That doesn't mean that a god cured their cancer.
I disagree, there are cases where the evidence points to a miracle.
And why can't your god bother to have a face to face chat and share a beer like Abraham's god? Or was that just an imaginative fantasy story in a book?
Sin separates us from God. Face to face conversations will become common again when Jesus returns.

J regia

I disagree, there are cases where the evidence points to a miracle.
So why are unbelievers also cured of cancer, and are they miracles too?
Sin separates us from God. Face to face conversations will become common again when Jesus returns.
And do you have any actual evidence to support that claim, or is that just wishful thinking given that Jesus' contemporaries expected him to return in their lifetimes too?

And why did Abraham's god bother to have a face to face conversation and share a meal with him, given that Abraham was having a sexual relationship with his sister and committed adultery with Hagar? Or was that because biblical morality, including the ten commandments etc, is just man-made since they didn't apply to him, and why it wasn't morally wrong to butcher and cook his son as a sacrificial meal as commanded even if the god subsequently chose to eat an old ram instead?

Last edited: