Why did Jesus have to leave?

Just4Cush

"Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you." John 16:7 (KJV)

Jesus was telling his Disciples how He was going to leave them and will send them the Holy Spirit as a Comforter. He also said, if He didn't go, the Comforter would not come. My question is...

Why did Jesus have to leave in order for the Holy Spirit to come? I know Jesus had to die for the remission of sins, but why couldn't He send for the Holy Spirit while He was still living among them, then go to the cross to die for the sins at the appointed time?

References:
Matthew 1:21
And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name Jesus: for he shall save his people from their sins.
Matthew 26:28
For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins.
Romans 3:25
Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God;

C

Chuckz

The problem in the Old Testsment is people created other god's in an attempt to get rid of God in their life.

The second problem is God didn't want to uproot the tares because it might damage the wheat.
What kind of people were the scribes and pharisees to always fight with Jesus? They saw the miracles, knew about the resurrection and still fought the apostles. In the old testament, God would not always strive with man. Should God get personally opposed to the evil people do? How do people learn grace that way?

The other reason is God wanted to prepare a place for you.

Another reason is without faith, it is impossible to please God. Seeing God in a waytmakes it less than faith and I don't have a better explanation.

The other example is Revelation where God comes to Armageddon and armies of this world come against Jesus.

Through witnessing, arguing turns people off a ot of times so having God around causes a problem and people could actually commit the blasphemy of the Holy Spirit because Jesus would be right there and people are responsible for the amount of light they receive.

Being there would also create other problems. Most people surrounded him in crowds for healing and food. If you get healed forever, you wouldn't die. You would stay in this body of sin.

Whatever the reason, God knows best. God could have chosen angels but God chose you to preaching the gospel. People's consciences can't make them feel wrong unless they hurt us.

Its love to let us make our own choices and its sincere . In this way, the rich wouldn't be conning us like Annanias and Sophia. You get to judge yourself by accepting or rejecting Jesus instead of God doing it. No phonyness.

Would you act differently if Jesus was physically here? Would you act differently if Jesus wasn't here?

Leaving us on our own developed our hope and strength. God knows better is all I can say.

C

Chuckz

Many people wanted the bread king instead of the bread of life. They came for a handout. They didn't come for Jesus.

Could you imagine being misled by fake believers who came for the wrong reasons? The church is already full of some of them. Staying might have made it worse and people would be dropping dead like ananias and saphira.

Just4Cush

Thanks Chuckz for your response. I'm not sure you understood my question. I totally understand WHY Jesus came and laid down His life for us. I totally know He HAD to die and will not be with us forever in the flesh.

My question is....

Why did Jesus have to leave in order for the Holy Spirit to come? Why couldn't He send for the Holy Spirit while He was still living among them, then go to the cross to die for the sins at the appointed time?

C

Chuckz

Thanks Chuckz for your response. I'm not sure you understood my question. I totally understand WHY Jesus came and laid down His life for us. I totally know He HAD to die and will not be with us forever in the flesh.

My question is....

Why did Jesus have to leave in order for the Holy Spirit to come? Why couldn't He send for the Holy Spirit while He was still living among them, then go to the cross to die for the sins at the appointed time?

The spirit of God was already with the disciples. There are three prepositions in the Greek for the Holy spirit and that is alongside, upon and within.

If Jesus was here in the flesh, you would be focused on Him as a person and what you can see. The person can be in one place at one time.

We have a guy at work who can't work unless we hold his hand in every job we or he does. Its really frustrating. He's always trying to lead but he never reads. He doesn't think ahead and he is always telling us to do something or check something and we've already thought of it. He doesn't remember things and we always have to teach him.

There are people who mess up in life as young people. When does the light come on for them to know what is right and wrong? Or does someone have to always have someone to hold their hand?

Would there be any justification by faith if Jesus didn't go away?
Could Jesus prove He has the power to ascend if He didn't go away?
Could Jesus atone for sins if He didn't present the sacrifice to God and ascend?
Would we depart from the physical body of Jesus and depart to other people to spread God's love and message and be empowered by the Holy Spirit if He did not leave?
Do we want to grow up in our faith or do we have to be told everything?

Do you have to hear your mom or dad say, "Clean your room." or do you just do it?
Are you demonstrating you've changed or do you seek confirmation from God that you changed? Do we change or do we have to be told to change?

What does holding God's physical hand show people? You are justified? When you have to be physically told something, it shows you don't measure up.
What does holding the word show? We are justified.

"Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you." John 16:7 (KJV)

Jesus was telling his Disciples how He was going to leave them and will send them the Holy Spirit as a Comforter. He also said, if He didn't go, the Comforter would not come. My question is...

Why did Jesus have to leave in order for the Holy Spirit to come? I know Jesus had to die for the remission of sins, but why couldn't He send for the Holy Spirit while He was still living among them, then go to the cross to die for the sins at the appointed time?

References:
And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name Jesus: for he shall save his people from their sins.
For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins.
Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God;
To fulfill the law

Bob Carabbio

My question is....

The Holy Spirit WAS ALREADY THERE, as He'd always been "With them". That's how Peter was able to tell Jesus the He was the Son of God, and how Abram knew to Get up and leave to a place that God would show him. Jesus told 'em that the Holy Spirit had been "With them", but would be IN THEM.

BUT the Holy Spirit COULDN'T INDWELL a person before Jesus made His SIN OFFERING that cleansed from (not just "forgave") SIN. The indwelling happened at John 20:22.

Jesus, at that point was fundamentally DIFFERENT in presence than He had been before He was Killed. His Resurrection Body could do tricks that his previous body couldn't (like materializing inside a locked room).

shnarkle

References:
When Jesus says these words, he is objectively standing there teaching them, but anyone familiar with the gospel narratives will point out that his disciples were slow learners. What happens when they receive the spirit? The contrast is overwhelming, isn't it? It's instantaneous because they don't have to think about anything as it is all immediately apparent.

The difference is that God's spirit indwells within them directing their every move. It is essentially Christ's spirit awakened and alive. It is the risen Christ living in them. Until one is ready to let go of the personality of Jesus, they can never see the risen Christ ushering in the kingdom.

SteveB

References:
It seems that Jesus and the Holy Spirit, could not both be here.
As you noted, Jesus fulfilled his job of dying for our sin.
It's now the Holy Spirit's job to
Convict the world of unbelief, of righteousness, and of judgment. John 16:9

8 And when He has come, He will convict the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment: 9 of sin, because they do not believe in Me; 10 of righteousness, because I go to My Father and you see Me no more; 11 of judgment, because the ruler of this world is judged.

Beloved

References:
Why did Jesus have to leave in order for the Holy Spirit to come

But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, he will teach you all things and bring to your remembrance all that I have said to you” (John 14:26)

“I will ask the Father, and he will give you another advocate to help you and be with you forever” (John 14:16).

The Holy Spirit temporarily came upon certain men in the Old Testament before Jesus came so the Holy Spirit would come and depart. Jesus tore the veil in the Temple where the Holy Spirit resided. Now since Jesus came He sent the Holy Spirit as a comforter that lives permanently in the body of believers.

I don't know why God set it up that way but Jesus did say He had to go before the Spirit would reside in believers permanently.

I think Bob and SteveB, and others, explained it well so I don't know why The Holy Spirit seemed to urge me to put in my 2 cents worth.:)