Why do RCs think their institution has the authority to interpret scripture alone

Status
Not open for further replies.

balshan

According to the catechism:

CCC 100, “The task of interpreting the Word of God authentically has been entrusted solely to the Magisterium of the Church, that is, to the Pope and to the bishops in communion with him.

I have not found any scriptural support for this claim. Is there any? I mean Paul is clear we are to study the scriptures for ourselves and to test what we are told.

Why do they not read the scriptures?
when I was in school we were told we didn't need to do that, they'd teach us what we needed to know. 2 lies right in that! I've heard / read that now the RCC tells people they can read it - but only in accordance with what it teaches... so what else will you be learning? nothing. you'd ignore what is in it (a lot!) that isn't taught by the RCC and if what you do read doesn't line up with what the RCC teaches - then you'd ignore it or twist it to mean whatever the RCC does teach.

why in the world would anyone who claims to be a believer think that His church would tell people they don't need to read God's word? but that is what we were taught - and that is in one of the catechism lessons. any church I'd go to now that told me I didn't need to read His word I'd walk right back out of it. If any teacher or minister told me I had to read it to mean what he(she) tells me it says, I'd walk out on them too. none of my teachers have ever said anything like that. one of them so often says to us 'don't take my word for it, get into scripture and find out what it says for yourself'.
He's really good at teaching scripture verse by verse (not every single verse - but most of them) AND taking us thru the trail of a like word, phrase, belief etc thru out the Bible - OT and NT. He might start out with 1 verse and spend 30 min (or more) on it - taking us into like sayings, teachings etc in numerous OT / NT verses. He compares how Peter teaches something to how Paul teaches it. Comparing scripture with scripture. if a catholic had a 30 min teaching like that their heads would spin.

Why do they seem incapable of questioning the RCC teachings?
they don't know enough scripture to question what they're taught. if they don't understand something and ask a question, when the priest / teacher (whoever) gives them a made up catholic answer they then think / say - 'oh, ok'.

They believe it because the RCC tells them it is the truth. They believe a false teacher.

According to the catechism:

CCC 100, “The task of interpreting the Word of God authentically has been entrusted solely to the Magisterium of the Church, that is, to the Pope and to the bishops in communion with him.

I have not found any scriptural support for this claim. Is there any? I mean Paul is clear we are to study the scriptures for ourselves and to test what we are told.
The RCC wants every living soul to believe that it is their institution alone into which all knowledge and wisdom has been deposited. The Roman Catholic Church proclaims and emphatically teaches that they are the source, the standard and the embodiment of all truth, which enables them to solely interpret Holy Scripture.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back