Why do you believe in Buddhism?

nanny

เล่นไฮโลบนมือถือ
for me
Buddhism satisfactorily gave a rational answer to all my doubts. that I can't find an answer anywhere else or other places do not have the wisdom to answer
when I followed feel happy and peaceful
(Because in this way, until now, I am still addicted to Vipassana supination, especially Piti, I can't go anywhere, even though I know that if I do this, I will not progress, but I still can't quit.)
And as a guide to help find a solution to life's problems many times

I would like to know the reasons for each person. Why do you believe in Buddhism?:)

Why am I Buddhist? The short answer is that Buddhism works.

The long answer is the same but takes more words. I was brought up as a Christian. When I hit my teens I dropped religion and switched to atheism. That was mainly because I objected to the rather too common, "anyone who does not agree exactly with us is damned for eternity, especially those heretics in that church down the road," attitude I found. After a few years I moved away from atheism, I felt that while it did avoid many of the problems with Christianity it was not itself a solution. I looked at different religions to find something that would work for me. None of the Abrahamic religions attracted me – as a hangover from my atheism I still had a problem with the concepts of God and soul. Initially I was interested in Hinduism. The background of Indian religion provides a very different world view: less exclusive – everyone achieves liberation eventually, the concept of karma and a much more relaxed attitude to both other religions and to alternative variants of the same religion. Of the Hindu texts the Bhagavad Gita and Patanjali's Yoga Sutras were the ones that attracted me most. In particular there is hardly any mention of gods in the Yoga Sutras. That seemed to be an interesting direction to explore.

Reading round Hinduism I inevitably came across Jainism and Buddhism. Jainism has souls but no gods, or at least no important gods. Buddhism has no souls and its attitude to gods is very casual – like any other living being they need to become enlightened. A mere god is far inferior to a Bodhisattva, let alone to a fully enlightened Buddha. Buddhism seemed to have the elements I was looking for: non-exclusivity, no soul, morality and while it did have gods, they were unimportant and could easily be ignored. So I tried Buddhism. I studied more on it, went to groups and to meditation classes and found that everything fitted together well and it suited the way I wanted to go.

A frequently quoted Buddhist text is the Kalama sutta which says that if we are to accept something then we have to try it first to check that it is correct:

[The Buddha said:] "Kalamas, when you yourselves know: 'These things are good; these things are not blameable; these things are praised by the wise; undertaken and observed, these things lead to benefit and happiness,' enter on and abide in them."
This advice applies to the Buddha's own words just as much as to anything else. I followed the Buddha's advice. I tried Buddhism, found that it worked and I have followed it ever since.

There is even some scientific evidence that Buddhism works: see Buddhists 'really are happier'.

Buddhism is a very practical religion. It is a sustained attempt to alleviate the suffering of a less than perfect world. Generally it succeeds. Buddhism works.

เล่นไฮโลบนมือถือ
for me
Buddhism satisfactorily gave a rational answer to all my doubts. that I can't find an answer anywhere else or other places do not have the wisdom to answer
when I followed feel happy and peaceful
(Because in this way, until now, I am still addicted to Vipassana supination, especially Piti, I can't go anywhere, even though I know that if I do this, I will not progress, but I still can't quit.)
And as a guide to help find a solution to life's problems many times

I would like to know the reasons for each person. Why do you believe in Buddhism?:)
May I please ask some important questions? You said Buddhism is “rational” does that mean it’s logical?

Why am I Buddhist? The short answer is that Buddhism works.

The long answer is the same but takes more words. I was brought up as a Christian. When I hit my teens I dropped religion and switched to atheism. That was mainly because I objected to the rather too common, "anyone who does not agree exactly with us is damned for eternity, especially those heretics in that church down the road," attitude I found. After a few years I moved away from atheism, I felt that while it did avoid many of the problems with Christianity it was not itself a solution. I looked at different religions to find something that would work for me. None of the Abrahamic religions attracted me – as a hangover from my atheism I still had a problem with the concepts of God and soul. Initially I was interested in Hinduism. The background of Indian religion provides a very different world view: less exclusive – everyone achieves liberation eventually, the concept of karma and a much more relaxed attitude to both other religions and to alternative variants of the same religion. Of the Hindu texts the Bhagavad Gita and Patanjali's Yoga Sutras were the ones that attracted me most. In particular there is hardly any mention of gods in the Yoga Sutras. That seemed to be an interesting direction to explore.

Reading round Hinduism I inevitably came across Jainism and Buddhism. Jainism has souls but no gods, or at least no important gods. Buddhism has no souls and its attitude to gods is very casual – like any other living being they need to become enlightened. A mere god is far inferior to a Bodhisattva, let alone to a fully enlightened Buddha. Buddhism seemed to have the elements I was looking for: non-exclusivity, no soul, morality and while it did have gods, they were unimportant and could easily be ignored. So I tried Buddhism. I studied more on it, went to groups and to meditation classes and found that everything fitted together well and it suited the way I wanted to go.

A frequently quoted Buddhist text is the Kalama sutta which says that if we are to accept something then we have to try it first to check that it is correct:
[The Buddha said:] "Kalamas, when you yourselves know: 'These things are good; these things are not blameable; these things are praised by the wise; undertaken and observed, these things lead to benefit and happiness,' enter on and abide in them."​
This advice applies to the Buddha's own words just as much as to anything else. I followed the Buddha's advice. I tried Buddhism, found that it worked and I have followed it ever since.

There is even some scientific evidence that Buddhism works: see Buddhists 'really are happier'.

Buddhism is a very practical religion. It is a sustained attempt to alleviate the suffering of a less than perfect world. Generally it succeeds. Buddhism works.
Well written post.
But when you say “Buddhism works”, what do you mean? Your post doesn’t really clarify in that regard.
Is Buddhism true? You said it “works” but is it true and why is it true?
I will have more questions but these will do for now.

May I please ask some important questions? You said Buddhism is “rational” does that mean it’s logical?
For certain values of "logical" and for certain values of "rational".

Like any long established religion there are many different schools of Buddhism. I follow some of the more rational schools. My practice is Theravada with a little Zen thrown in. My theory is Prasangika-Madhyamaka, which is where the logical part sits.

There are other schools with different approaches, not as rational not as logical, which suit some people more.

But when you say “Buddhism works”, what do you mean? Your post doesn’t really clarify in that regard.
Buddhism provides a map of a path up a mountain. I have started along that path. So far the map has proved itself correct; the landmarks it told me I would see along the path were all there when I passed them. I am still a long way from the summit, and that summit is shrouded in cloud. However, sometimes the cloud thins and though I cannot see any detail, there is certainly something where the summit should be.

That is sufficient for me to continue on the path.

Is Buddhism true?
You are asking the wrong question. Better to ask if Buddhism will get me to where I want to be. The answer to that, so far, is yes.

Back