Why Does Anyone Believe Foolishness?

Sketo

For since, in the wisdom of God, the world did not know God through wisdom, it pleased God through the foolishness of what we preach to save those who believe. - 1 Corinthians 1:21

We want biblical evidence of why people believe the Gospel instead of rejecting it!

Also...

We want biblical evidence of why people reject the Gospel instead of believing it!

Nothing philosophical! Just Bible please!

If you post a verse as evidence please exegete how that verse, or passage, shows what caused the belief or rejection?

Two people can read a verse, or passage, and come to different conclusions!
We don’t want to assume what you mean!

If you yourself can not exegete the verse, or passage,... do not post it!

Attachments

• 5E8BA5B7-14FE-4742-9C31-176E6172E73B.jpeg
    5E8BA5B7-14FE-4742-9C31-176E6172E73B.jpeg
    124.6 KB · Views: 2

TomFL

For since, in the wisdom of God, the world did not know God through wisdom, it pleased God through the foolishness of what we preach to save those who believe. - 1 Corinthians 1:21

We want biblical evidence of why people believe the Gospel instead of rejecting it!

Also...

We want biblical evidence of why people reject the Gospel instead of believing it!

If you post a verse as evidence please exegete how that verse, or passage, shows what caused the belief or rejection?

Why worry about why when the bible shows they do

1 Cor. 1:18–29 —KJV
“For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.
For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent.
Where is the wise? where is the scribe? where is the disputer of this world? hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world?
For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe.
For the Jews require a sign, and the Greeks seek after wisdom:
But we preach Christ crucified, unto the Jews a stumblingblock, and unto the Greeks foolishness;
But unto them which are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God, and the wisdom of God.
Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men; and the weakness of God is stronger than men.
For ye see your calling, brethren, how that not many wise men after the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called:
But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty;
And base things of the world, and things which are despised, hath God chosen, yea, and things which are not, to bring to nought things that are:
That no flesh should glory in his presence.”

of course those who believe do not find it foolish only those wise in the wisdom of the world

Sketo

Why worry about why when the bible shows they do

1 Cor. 1:18–29 —KJV
“For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.
For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent.
Where is the wise? where is the scribe? where is the disputer of this world? hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world?
For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe.
For the Jews require a sign, and the Greeks seek after wisdom:
But we preach Christ crucified, unto the Jews a stumblingblock, and unto the Greeks foolishness;
But unto them which are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God, and the wisdom of God.
Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men; and the weakness of God is stronger than men.
For ye see your calling, brethren, how that not many wise men after the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called:
But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty;
And base things of the world, and things which are despised, hath God chosen, yea, and things which are not, to bring to nought things that are:
That no flesh should glory in his presence.”

of course those who believe do not find it foolish only those wise in the wisdom of the world

Sketo

And yet, you're begging the statement, by promoting the philosophical TULIP.
Where do you see that I have promoted “TULIP” especially in this thread???
I did not promote anything in this thread! You may assume it elsewhere but not in this thread!
This thread is neutral allowing posters to speak for themselves!

The chooser is responsible for believing or rejecting God's witnesses.
And yet we all differ on how the believing comes to be!

Some believe it is the work of man!

Others believe it is the work of God!

PeanutGallery

Where do you see that I have promoted “TULIP” especially in this thread???
I did not promote anything in this thread! You may assume it elsewhere but not in this thread!
This thread is neutral allowing posters to speak for themselves!...
This is a Calvinist thread; there is no neutrality; rather, at the very least, a bias.

TomFL

You did not answer the question

Why do you ask why when the fact is that they did

However I will answer your question

Those who find the cross foolish are those who depend on human wisdom

That iswhy they find the cross foolish. It does not accord with humanwisdom

Those who did not accepted wisdom which comes from the spirit which may be by way or revelation or by the preaching or writing of an inspired apostle or prophet

Sketo

You did not answer the question

Why do you ask why when the fact is that they did
If you preach the gospel of “Christ crucified” to two different people and one considers “Christ crucified” as foolishness and rejects it and ends in hell for eternity... wouldn’t you care why he perceived it as foolishness?

Or is it just “the fact that they did” and move on?

The fact is there are two different views on the why and they are polar opposites!

One view is Man is the why!
vs.
Other view is God is the why!

Which one is biblical?

civic

Also...

1- Mans inability to come to God apart from Him

John 3:19, "This is the judgment, that the Light has come into the world, and men loved the darkness rather than the Light, for their deeds were evil."

John 3:27, "John answered and said, 'A man can receive nothing, unless it has been given him from heaven.'"

John 6:44, “No one can come to Me unless the Father who sent Me draws him; and I will raise him up on the last day."

John 6:65, "And He was saying, ‘For this reason I have said to you, that no one can come to Me unless it has been granted him from the Father.’"

John 8:34, "Jesus answered them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, everyone who commits sin is the slave of sin."

Romans 3:10-12, "as it is written, ‘There is none righteous, not even one; 11 There is none who understands, there is none who seeks for God; 12 All have turned aside, together they have become useless. There is none who does good, there is not even one.’"

Romans 6:20, "For when you were slaves of sin, you were free in regard to righteousness."

Romans 8:7, "because the mind set on the flesh is hostile toward God; for it does not subject itself to the law of God, for it is not even able to do so."

1 Corinthians 2:14, "But a natural man does not accept the things of the Spirit of God; for they are foolishness to him, and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually appraised."

Ephesians 2:1, "And you were dead in your trespasses and sins."

Ephesians 2:3, "Among them we too all formerly lived in the lusts of our flesh, indulging the desires of the flesh and of the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, even as the rest."

2-God must enable man to come to Him. It is the work of God !

John 1:12-13, "But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, even to those who believe in His name, 13 who were born, not of blood nor of the will of the flesh nor of the will of man, but of God."

John 6:28-29, "Therefore they said to Him, 'What shall we do, so that we may work the works of God?' 29 Jesus answered and said to them, 'This is the work of God, that you believe in Him whom He has sent.'"

John 6:44, "No one can come to Me unless the Father who sent Me draws him; and I will raise him up on the last day."

John 6:65, "And He was saying, 'For this reason I have said to you, that no one can come to Me unless it has been granted him from the Father.'"

Acts 13:48, "When the Gentiles heard this, they began rejoicing and glorifying the word of the Lord; and as many as had been appointed to eternal life believed."

Romans 8:29–30, “For those whom He foreknew, He also predestined to become conformed to the image of His Son, so that He would be the firstborn among many brethren; 30 and these whom He predestined, He also called; and these whom He called, He also justified; and these whom He justified, He also glorified."

Ephesians 1:4, "just as He chose us in Him before the foundation of the world, that we would be holy and blameless before Him. In love."

Ephesians 1:5, "He predestined us to adoption as sons through Jesus Christ to Himself, according to the kind intention of His will."

Ephesians 1:11, "also we have obtained an inheritance, having been predestined according to His purpose who works all things after the counsel of His will."

Philippians 1:29, "For to you it has been granted for Christ’s sake, not only to believe in Him, but also to suffer for His sake."

2 Thessalonians 2:13, "But we should always give thanks to God for you, brethren beloved by the Lord, because God has chosen you from the beginning for salvation through sanctification by the Spirit and faith in the truth."

2 Timothy 1:9, "who has saved us and called us with a holy calling, not according to our works, but according to His own purpose and grace which was granted us in Christ Jesus from all eternity."

2 Timothy 2:24-25, "The Lord’s bond-servant must not be quarrelsome, but be kind to all, able to teach, patient when wronged, 25 with gentleness correcting those who are in opposition, if perhaps God may grant them repentance leading to the knowledge of the truth."

1 Peter 1:3, "Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who according to His great mercy has caused us to be born again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead."

3-The Lord saves us and keeps us saved by His Grace- Faith comes by Gods grace as per:

Ephesians 2:8. Faith alone means apart from works , not grace. For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God

Philippians 1:29- "For to you it has been granted for Christ’s sake, not only to believe in Him, but also to suffer for His sake."

John 1:13- children born not of natural descent, nor of human decision or a husband’s will, but born of God.

Salvation is of the Lord. Its all His doing by His grace, even being granted by God the ability to believe. Our human decision to come to Christ comes from God, not by human decision but born of God.

4-God saves us and keeps us saved.

Jude 1:24-25
Now unto him that is able to keep you from falling, and to present you faultless before the presence of his glory with exceeding joy,25 To the only wise God our Saviour, be glory and majesty, dominion and power, both now and ever. Amen.

Philippians 1:6-
And I am certain that God, who began the good work within you, will continue his work until it is finally finished on the day when Christ Jesus returns.

1 Corinthians 1:8
He will sustain you to the end, so that you will be blameless on the day of our Lord Jesus Christ.

John 3:27, "John answered and said, 'A man can receive nothing, unless it has been given him from heaven.'"

John 6:44, “No one can come to Me unless the Father who sent Me draws him; and I will raise him up on the last day."

John 6:65, "And He was saying, ‘For this reason I have said to you, that no one can come to Me unless it has been granted him from the Father

Ephesians 2:4-5
But because of his great love for us, God, who is rich in mercy, 5 made us alive with Christ even when we were dead in transgressions

Colossians 2:13
When you were dead in your trespasses and in the uncircumcision of your sinful nature, God made you alive with Christ. He forgave us all our trespasses,

5-God Grants Repentance

Acts 5:31
God exalted Him to His right hand as Prince and Savior, in order to grant repentance and forgiveness of sins to Israel.

Acts 11:8
When they heard these things, they held their peace, and glorified God, saying, Then hath God also to the Gentiles granted repentance unto life.

2 Timothy 2:25
with gentleness correcting those who are in opposition, if perhaps God may grant them repentance leading to the knowledge of the truth,

hope this helps !!!

brightfame52

Because they have been saved from their spiritual lost state wherein the Gospel was hidden from them, by the blindness of heart by the God of this world 2 Cor 4:3-4

3 But if our gospel be hid, it is hid to them that are lost: 4 in whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.

But if and when the Spirit from Christ gives us life and liberty from the devil, the Gospel becomes conversion power 1 Cor 1

For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.

Now the word saved here is a present passive participle. The Subject is in a present state of being saved. I believe saved here mean conversion from error to truth, from darkness to Gospel Light .

So those who are not in a present state of being saved, but in contrast are perishing, meaning lost state, the Gospel is hid and so its to them foolishness.

Sketo

Oh, you want a philosophical answer not provided by God's inspired word?
I prefer Bible but you have not provided either as of yet!
Again for your convenience...

Also...

civic

Oh, you want a philosophical answer not provided by God's inspired word?
He is asking you for Gods word and why you believe Gods word is saying what you claim it is saying by exegesis, not eisegesis.

Similar to asking why you believe Jesus is God on the Trinity forum by providing scripture and exegeting the passage with how and why it is saying Jesus is God.

TomFL

If you preach the gospel of “Christ crucified” to two different people and one considers “Christ crucified” as foolishness and rejects it and ends in hell for eternity... wouldn’t you care why he perceived it as foolishness?

Or is it just “the fact that they did” and move on?

The fact is there are two different views on the why and they are polar opposites!

One view is Man is the why!
vs.
Other view is God is the why!

Which one is biblical?

In 1Co Those who find the cross foolish are those trusting in human wisdom

those not trusting in human wisdom were more accepting of the wisdom which comes from the Spirit

And you still have not shown how one can receive the spirit or be regenerated apart from faith in the gospel

PeanutGallery

I prefer Bible but you have not provided either as of yet!
Again for your convenience...
Scripture speaks of some who hold the truth in unrighteousness, who will not have God rule over them, who do not love the truth; others, fear the Lord, believe God's witnesses.

Sketo

Scripture speaks of some who hold the truth in unrighteousness, who will not have God rule over them, who do not love the truth; others, fear the Lord, believe God's witnesses.
Book, chapter, verse.
Please exegete the why in these verses.