Why Evangelicals always lose the Mormon Debate!

already addressed why Jesus wouldn't know everything the Father did if he laid aside his equality, wealth, Joy and glory when he became man and Jesus and the Father are separate and distinct persons
Could it be that the 3 in one is more like three which comprise the Godhead? Hmm

Since Godhead and Trinity are synonym yes
I agree, except its impossible to have three personages in One God Being...so Godhead as three Gods all serving one purpose in mind and heart.
This is so much more realistic then a magical One God Being...

I agree, except its impossible to have three personages in One God Being...so Godhead as three Gods all serving one purpose in mind and heart.
This is so much more realistic then a magical One God Being...

:) Not if you look at Joseph Smith's pre-1835 statements :)

2 Nephi 31:
21 And now, behold, my beloved brethren, this is the way; and there is none other way nor name given under heaven whereby man can be saved in the kingdom of God. And now, behold, this is the doctrine of Christ, and the only and true doctrine of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost, which is one God, without end. Amen.

Alma 11:

44 Now, this restoration shall come to all, both old and young, both bond and free, both male and female, both the wicked and the righteous; and even there shall not so much as a hair of their heads be lost; but everything shall be restored to its perfect frame, as it is now, or in the body, and shall be brought and be arraigned before the bar of Christ the Son, and God the Father, and the Holy Spirit, which is one Eternal God, to be judged according to their works, whether they be good or whether they be evil.

Mormon 7:

7 And he hath brought to pass the redemption of the world, whereby he that is found guiltless before him at the judgment day hath it given unto him to dwell in the presence of God in his kingdom, to sing ceaseless praises with the choirs above, unto the Father, and unto the Son, and unto the Holy Ghost, which are one God, in a state of happiness which hath no end.

The Testimony of Three Witnesses

And the honor be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Ghost, which is one God. Amen.

Oliver Cowdery

David Whitmer

Martin Harris

1 Nephi 13: 41 And they must come according to the words which shall be established by the mouth of the Lamb; and the words of the Lamb shall be made known in the records of thy seed, as well as in the records of the twelve apostles of the Lamb; wherefore they both shall be established in one; for there is one God and one Shepherd over all the earth.

Doctrine and Covenants 20 :

28 Which Father, Son, and Holy Ghost are one God, infinite and eternal, without end. Amen.

1 John 5:7 For there are three that bear record in heaven: the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost; and these three are one. Joseph Smith translation

Moses 1:6

6 And I have a work for thee, Moses, my son; and thou art in the similitude of mine Only Begotten; and mine Only Begotten is and shall be the Savior, for he is full of grace and truth; but there is no God beside me, and all things are present with me, for I know them all.

COUNSEL GIVEN BY PRESIDENT CHARLES W. PENROSE

Now, some of our brethren have taken up quite a discussion as to the fulness of the everlasting gospel. We are told that the Book of Mormon contains the fulness of the gospel, that those who like to get up a dispute, say that the Book of Mormon does not contain any reference to the work of salvation for the dead and that there are many other things pertaining to the gospel that are not developed in that book, and yet we are told that the book contains "the fulness of the everlasting gospel." Well, what is the fulness of the gospel? You read carefully the revelation in regard to the three glories, Section 76, in the Doctrine and Covenants, and you find there defined what the gospel is. There God, the Eternal Father, and Jesus Christ, his Son, and the Holy Ghost, are held up as the three Persons in the Trinity—the one God, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost, all three being one God. When people believe in that doctrine and obey the ordinances which are spoken of in the same list of principles, you get the fulness of the gospel for this reason: If you really believe so as to have faith in our Eternal Father and in his Son, Jesus Christ, the Redeemer, and will hear him, you will learn ail about what is needed to be done for the salvation of the living and redemption of the dead.

(General Conference Report, April 1922, pp. 27-28.)

Not one of these verses say in one purpose or mind, could you produce a verse that teaches that in pre-1835 Joseph Smith :) :) :)

Last edited:

Now, some of our brethren have taken up quite a discussion as to the fulness of the everlasting gospel. We are told that the Book of Mormon contains the fulness of the gospel, that those who like to get up a dispute, say that the Book of Mormon does not contain any reference to the work of salvation for the dead and that there are many other things pertaining to the gospel that are not developed in that book, and yet we are told that the book contains "the fulness of the everlasting gospel." Well, what is the fulness of the gospel? You read carefully the revelation in regard to the three glories, Section 76, in the Doctrine and Covenants, and you find there defined what the gospel is. There God, the Eternal Father, and Jesus Christ, his Son, and the Holy Ghost, are held up as the three Persons in the Trinity—the one God, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost, all three being one God. When people believe in that doctrine and obey the ordinances which are spoken of in the same list of principles, you get the fulness of the gospel for this reason: If you really believe so as to have faith in our Eternal Father and in his Son, Jesus Christ, the Redeemer, and will hear him, you will learn ail about what is needed to be done for the salvation of the living and redemption of the dead.

Not one of these verses say in one purpose or mind, could you produce a verse that teaches that in pre-1835 Joseph Smith :) :) :)

The above highlighted statement by Charles Penrose is still doctrine in the LDS church today.

Pre 1835 theology of the Godhead was different than what is accepted today. Joseph Smith, and the church accepted the position of the theology of their day--until they received revelation otherwise. The same with the NT church apostles and prophets. Until Christ revealed to them the truths associated with the common beliefs of their day--they held to their common beliefs. God does not reveal all at one time. For me--that is just common sense.

Now--the LDS church had the Biblical text in 1835--which does teach one in purpose, they just didn't apply it then, as it's applied today:

John 17:21-23---King James Version
21 That they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me.
22 And the glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be one, even as we are one:
23 I in them, and thou in me, that they may be made perfect in one; and that the world may know that thou hast sent me, and hast loved them, as thou hast loved me.

Paul turned the Godhead theology upside down:

1 Corinthians 8:6---King James Version (KJV)6 But to us there is but one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we in him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, by whom are all things, and we by him.

1 Timothy 2:5--King James Version (KJV)
5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;

Ephesians 4:4-6--King James Version (KJV)

4 There is one body, and one Spirit, even as ye are called in one hope of your calling;
5 One Lord, one faith, one baptism,
6 One God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all.

That's something the LDS have accepted--and it grinds against the theology of the critics here--and the OT language.

The above highlighted statement by Charles Penrose is still doctrine in the LDS church today.

Pre 1835 theology of the Godhead was different than what is accepted today. Joseph Smith, and the church accepted the position of the theology of their day--until they received revelation otherwise. The same with the NT church apostles and prophets. Until Christ revealed to them the truths associated with the common beliefs of their day--they held to their common beliefs. God does not reveal all at one time. For me--that is just common sense.

it is interesting how you think Joseph Smith accept the Trinitarian teachings of his pre-1835 comments found in The Book of Mormon and D&C which were from the Standard Works directly from God yet then he got more truth from God later? Do you know how silly that sounds?
Now--the LDS church had the Biblical text in 1835--which does teach one in purpose, they just didn't apply it then, as it's applied today:

John 17:21-23---King James Version
21 That they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me.
22 And the glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be one, even as we are one:
23 I in them, and thou in me, that they may be made perfect in one; and that the world may know that thou hast sent me, and hast loved them, as thou hast loved me.

Paul turned the Godhead theology upside down:

1 Corinthians 8:6---King James Version (KJV)6 But to us there is but one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we in him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, by whom are all things, and we by him.

5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;

4 There is one body, and one Spirit, even as ye are called in one hope of your calling;

That's something the LDS have accepted--and it grinds against the theology of the critics here--and the OT language.
Alma 11:

26 And Zeezrom said unto him: Thou sayest there is a true and living God?

27 And Amulek said: Yea, there is a true and living God.

28 Now Zeezrom said: Is there more than one God?

29 And he answered, No.

1 Nephi 13: 41 And they must come according to the words which shall be established by the mouth of the Lamb; and the words of the Lamb shall be made known in the records of thy seed, as well as in the records of the twelve apostles of the Lamb; wherefore they both shall be established in one; for there is one God and one Shepherd over all the earth.

Book of Moses 1:

6 And I have a work for thee, Moses, my son; and thou art in the similitude of mine Only Begotten; and mine Only Begotten is and shall be the Savior, for he is full of grace and truth; but there is no God beside me, and all things are present with me, for I know them all.

2 Nephi 31:

21 And now, behold, my beloved brethren, this is the way; and there is none other way nor name given under heaven whereby man can be saved in the kingdom of God. And now, behold, this is the doctrine of Christ, and the only and true doctrine of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost, which is one God, without end. Amen.

Alma 11:

44 Now, this restoration shall come to all, both old and young, both bond and free, both male and female, both the wicked and the righteous; and even there shall not so much as a hair of their heads be lost; but everything shall be restored to its perfect frame, as it is now, or in the body, and shall be brought and be arraigned before the bar of Christ the Son, and God the Father, and the Holy Spirit, which is one Eternal God, to be judged according to their works, whether they be good or whether they be evil.

Mormon 7:

7 And he hath brought to pass the redemption of the world, whereby he that is found guiltless before him at the judgment day hath it given unto him to dwell in the presence of God in his kingdom, to sing ceaseless praises with the choirs above, unto the Father, and unto the Son, and unto the Holy Ghost, which are one God, in a state of happiness which hath no end.

And the honor be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Ghost, which is one God. Amen.

Oliver Cowdery

David Whitmer

Martin Harris

28 Which Father, Son, and Holy Ghost are one God, infinite and eternal, without end. Amen.

1 John 5:7 For there are three that bear record in heaven: the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost; and these three are one. Joseph Smith translation

it is interesting how you think Joseph Smith accept the Trinitarian teachings of his pre-1835 comments found in The Book of Mormon and D&C which were from the Standard Works directly from God yet then he got more truth from God later? Do you know how silly that sounds?

I don't find it any more or less "interesting" or "silly"(your word) than the OT testimony of God the Son making the statements there is no other God--and then--in the NT, the writers separating the very God of the OT out from the "one God"--and testifying the God of the OT had a God and Father also:

1 Peter 1:3---King James Version (KJV)
3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, which according to his abundant mercy hath begotten us again unto a lively hope by the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,

John 20:17---King James Version (KJV)
17 Jesus saith unto her, Touch me not; for I am not yet ascended to my Father: but go to my brethren, and say unto them, I ascend unto my Father, and your Father; and to my God, and your God.

Ephesians 1:17---King James Version (KJV)

17 That the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give unto you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of him:

Hebrews 1:9---King James Version (KJV)
9 Thou hast loved righteousness, and hated iniquity; therefore God, even thy God, hath anointed thee with the oil of gladness above thy fellows.

I don't find it any more or less "interesting" or "silly"(your word) than the OT testimony of God the Son making the statements there is no other God--and then--in the NT, the writers separating the very God of the OT out from the "one God"--and testifying the God of the OT had a God and Father also:

1 Peter 1:3---King James Version (KJV)
3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, which according to his abundant mercy hath begotten us again unto a lively hope by the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,

John 20:17---King James Version (KJV)
17 Jesus saith unto her, Touch me not; for I am not yet ascended to my Father: but go to my brethren, and say unto them, I ascend unto my Father, and your Father; and to my God, and your God.

Ephesians 1:17---King James Version (KJV)

17 That the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give unto you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of him:

Hebrews 1:9---King James Version (KJV)
9 Thou hast loved righteousness, and hated iniquity; therefore God, even thy God, hath anointed thee with the oil of gladness above thy fellows.
God the Father and Jesus are ONE GOD not three

2 Nephi 31:

Alma 11:

Mormon 7:

Oliver Cowdery

David Whitmer

Martin Harris

. (General Conference Report, April 1922, pp. 27-28.)

God the Father and Jesus are ONE GOD not three

That may be true, as far as unity goes--but the NT writers separated out God the Son from the "one God":

That may be true, as far as unity goes--but the NT writers separated out God the Son from the "one God":
Why wouldn't they since Jesus is a separate person than God the Father

Why wouldn't they since Jesus is a separate person than God the Father

The NT writers went further than separating the Persons--they separated out God the Son from the "one God" of the Biblical NT:

So--put that into your pipe and smoke it--and then please explain to us how that fits the theology of the critics here.

Fits the LDS theology fine.

:) Not if you look at Joseph Smith's pre-1835 statements :)

2 Nephi 31:

Alma 11:

Mormon 7:

Oliver Cowdery

David Whitmer

Martin Harris

What is your issue? I find nothing in the above that isn't taught today... chuckle.

Back