Why I Have Difficulty Loving and Forgiving Enemies

I have put what scripture says into my own words

Seriously, both those statements are questionable.

Start with this one.

1. We are to genuinely repent of sin

Have you changed your mind about your sin?

Does that sound right to you?

If you see a man sinning, did he repent of his sin do you think?

While the scriptures are not technically complex, they are not simple, and they are definitely spiritually complex.

Hey, everyone. I come to you fresh off a four or five day much deserved (probably) suspension. I have no way of knowing the specific cause, but it’s most likely due to some rudeness on my part. I may have the record for the most suspensions, and I’m far from being proud of that, but I thought I’d make a post about the impact of my Christiian beliefs upon the nature of my polemical posts, as well as the reverse.

I am well aware that I am strongly encouraged to love my enemies. Now in my past BC days I have known several people whom I would consider my enemy, but it’s been years since that has been the case. Of the many people I now know (in the “real world'') and with whom I come in constant contact, I can truly think of no one whom I need to forgive.The closest I come to thinking of a possible enemy would be my polemical sparring partners here at CARM. So I have to ask myself: IF I stretch the definition of “enemy” and IF Treeplanter, Pixie, 5wize, et al are my enemies, do I hate them? Now it seems to me that true hate would manifest itself in a desire for vengeance, or at least a desire for something detrimental to occur upon these alleged enemies. But I can swear to y’all that that is not the case. Nothing would delight me more than to hear about the spiritual conversion of one of these guys.

So how do my rude barbs toward these wise guys who blast and sometimes even blaspheme my Lord facilitate a conversion? They don’t. But do they impede conversions? If for example Treeplanter pulls one of his patented and tiresome comments out of his very limited rhetorical quiver accusing my beloved Lord and Savior of being an “immoral thug,” and I respond by calling him a shallow and petulant jerk, is that an expression of hate on my part? Before responding, should I think to myself, “Maybe if I call him a jerk, it will further harden his heart, so let me be nice to him. Let him see me rolling over.” To think he could be so easily swayed about something of such existential importance would manifest an even lower opinion of him than I currently have.

When Jesus called the Pharisees a “brood of vipers” and when He overturned the moneychanger’s tables was He being unchristian?

Besides the facial ones, do there also exist two rhetorical cheeks, one of which should be turned if the other is attacked? “Oh, so you just called me a gullible fool? Don’t forget, I’m also a shallow idiot.”

Obviously I cannot myself be so pharisaical as to claim that I LOVE Treeplanter, but I do pray for him daily, so I can’t think of myself as hating him, can I? My prayers FEEL sincere at least. I think I love him, albeit ever so minimally.

It’s weird, but when my thoughts have gone misleading, I sometimes wish that just like in my younger days (BC), someone would do me wrong, so that I could at least test myself to determine if I have it in me to forgive. But dang it, I just don’t HAVE any enemies.
That is an honest OP but just one tiny correction, Jesus was not a Christian. He was a Jew.

Have you changed your mind about your sin?
Nope, not at all

1. Sin is transgression against God - and since I don't believe that God exists it naturally follows that there is no such thing as sin

2. Much of that which Christianity considers to be sin is in no way, shape, or form to be considered wrong or immoral

If you see a man sinning, did he repent of his sin do you think?
Couldn't say

Can you?

While the scriptures are not technically complex, they are not simple, and they are definitely spiritually complex.
There is NOTHING complex about it, Jimmy!

Genuinely repent of sin and remove ultimate trust from yourself to Christ
OR
go to Hell

It's as simple as that

p.s.
It's cute how you pretend there is more to it!
"Ooh, how deep and mysterious and profound..."

Show me where scripture says that computer fraud is a sin

Show me where I said it does.

Oh, and don't forget your unfinished task:

Show us where scripture says what you put in your own words, regarding salvation.

You're such a hypocrite, stiggy!

Don't use words you don't know the meaning of, even if they are three syllables and you think it would be impressive. A hypocrite is one who acts opposite to what he preaches.

Don't use words you don't know the meaning of, even if they are three syllables and you think it would be impressive. A hypocrite is one who acts opposite to what he preaches.
No, you ARE a hypocrite, stigs!

You'll extrapolate when it suits your purpose and insist upon precise language when that, in turn, suits your purpose

Most every man DOES know better than God, Lesser

Yourself included

Quite false.

I do know for a fact that I do know better than you, in a variety of things. And perhaps you the same.

I am also fully persuaded I do not know better than God, in anything. The Lord knows He has proven it to me.

Speak for yourself, Elizabeth.

No, you ARE a hypocrite, stigs!

You'll extrapolate when it suits your purpose and insist upon precise language when that, in turn, suits your purpose

And yet you fail like a blind possum trying to cross a busy intersection at being able to give a single example of what you just blathered about. If you accuse a guy of being a murderer you're gonna need a murder victim. Same with the accusation of being a hypocrite. You're gonna need an example of hypocrisy. Cough it up, Lizzie.

And yet you fail like a blind possum trying to cross a busy intersection at being able to give a single example of what you just blathered about. If you accuse a guy of being a murderer you're gonna need a murder victim. Same with the accusation of being a hypocrite. You're gonna need an example of hypocrisy. Cough it up, Lizzie.
Show me where scripture says that computer fraud is a sin and I'll show you the scripture that specifically says that we are to genuinely repent of sin and remove ultimate trust from self to Christ

Go ahead, I'll wait here...

Show me where scripture says that computer fraud is a sin

"Do unto others, as you would have them do unto you." Now go ahead and tell us all how you WANT people to commit computer fraud on you. We can start with you giving me the name of your bank, your bank account number and password. Cough it up.

Go ahead, I'll wait here...

Short wait, wasn't it? Only 20 minutes. Now show us where scripture says what you put in your own words, regarding salvation.

You wrote this:

"When Jesus called the Pharisees a “brood of vipers” and when He overturned the moneychanger’s tables was He being unchristian?"

Correct. I'll bet my name at the top of the post was a dead giveaway that I wrote it. And .... ? Instead of informing me of what I already know, i.e. that I wrote it, can you answer it yes or no?

"Do unto others, as you would have them do unto you." Now go ahead and tell us all how you WANT people to commit computer fraud on you. We can start with you giving me the name of your bank, your bank account number and password. Cough it up.

Short wait, wasn't it? Only 20 minutes. Now show us where scripture says what you put in your own words, regarding salvation.
If the absence of this exact phrase:
"you must remove ultimate trust from self to Christ"
is sufficient to deny that the bible tells us, nonetheless, that we are to remove ultimate trust from self to Christ

then

the absence of the term "computer fraud"
is sufficient to deny that the bible/God considers computer fraud a sin

If "Do unto others, as you would have them do unto you" is sufficient to 'prove' that God is against computer fraud
then
"Trust in the LORD with all your heart, And lean not on your own understanding; In all your ways acknowledge Him, And He shall direct your paths" is more than sufficient to prove that we are to remove trust from self to Christ

Don't you ever tire of me embarrassing you?

Correct. I'll bet my name at the top of the post was a dead giveaway that I wrote it. And .... ? Instead of informing me of what I already know, i.e. that I wrote it, can you answer it yes or no?
Answer what exactly? As the man we know as Jesus of Nazareth was a Jew he could not been acting in an "unChristian" manner, anymore than he could have been acting in an unIslamic or unHindu manner.

If the absence of this exact phrase:
"you must remove ultimate trust from self to Christ"

Nope. Won't work. That's not in the Bible. That explains your failure to provide a book, chapter or verse.

is sufficient to deny that the bible tells us, nonetheless, that we are to remove ultimate trust from self to Christ

Nope. It never says salvation only occurs if you do that. You lose!!

Nope, no "then" about it. You screwed up.

the absence of the term "computer fraud"
is sufficient to deny that the bible/God considers computer fraud a sin

Nope, that won't work. I gave you a Bible verse. Now YOU provide one. But you just can't, can ya? Bet you wish now that you never barged into this little predicament, don'tcha?

If "Do unto others, as you would have them do unto you" is sufficient to 'prove' that God is against computer fraud

So you would NOT mind it if someone committed computer fraud on you? Cough up those passwords, pal. I'm not going to tell you again. Hand 'em over.

then
"Trust in the LORD with all your heart, And lean not on your own understanding; In all your ways acknowledge Him, And He shall direct your paths" is more than sufficient to prove that we are to remove trust from self to Christ

Whoops, You forgot to tell me where it says, " ........ and if you don't do that, you can't be saved."

You screwed up big time again. You just never learn, do you? You're like Charlie Brown with the football, thinking to yourself, "Maybe THIS time, if I claim crap is in the Bible when it's not, Lucy, I mean stiggy won't call me on it." Heh.

Answer what exactly?

The yes or no question I asked.

As the man we know as Jesus of Nazareth was a Jew he could not been acting in an "unChristian" manner, anymore than he could have been acting in an unIslamic or unHindu manner.

Sure He could. If He had ignored Ramadan, He would have been acting in an unIslamic manner. Now answer my yes or no question, please.

Back