Why is Chinese TV so much better that Western TV?

cjab

Being obliged to check out youtube programs with subtitles at the gym, for want of anything better to do while using the machines, I came across many Chinese TV programs and films etc subtitled in English. I find some of them (at least) to be quite entertaining as constrasted with the usual nonsense dished up by superficial western TV, and western films. It's almost like going back in TV time by 60 years or more to a bygone era of TV and films that has now largely disappeared from the west.

Anyone share my opinions?

Being obliged to check out youtube programs with subtitles at the gym, for want of anything better to do while using the machines, I came across many Chinese TV programs and films etc subtitled in English. I find some of them (at least) to be quite entertaining as constrasted with the usual nonsense dished up by superficial western TV, and western films. It's almost like going back in TV time by 60 years or more to a bygone era of TV and films that has now largely disappeared from the west.

Other than a rare football game and an occasional X Files or old TV show I don't watch TV in English no matter which country produced it.

I like some of the Taiwanese tv programs. There is a little bit of cross pollinator with Korean tv. K-tv is my preference.

Off the top of my head I can only think of one mainland Chinese TV program which kept my attention. It had an Indiana Jones like theme, cultural treasure raiders out in the desert facing danger, sometimes supernatural danger. It had a sequel but for some reason I don't remember the title of either program.

Just another viewing choice, it seems that Telemundo has struck a deal with a Turkish production company. They've done a top notch job of dialogue and dubbing into Spanish of some pretty good stories of normal people with the usual strengths and shortcomings.

If you understand Spanish or just want to check it out then Telemundo posts a lot of their content on YouTube. A currently running story is El Fuego Del Destino, Fire Of Destiny.

The only Chinese movies I'm acquainted with are ones that have Jet Li, and Jackie Chan.

I remember seeing a documentary several years ago, about China's movie industry. Apparently there's a billionaire who has purchased a huge plot of land, and has essentially built a humongous studio.

That's the extent of my awareness of the Chinese movie industry.

The only Chinese movies I'm acquainted with are ones that have Jet Li, and Jackie Chan.

I remember seeing a documentary several years ago, about China's movie industry. Apparently there's a billionaire who has purchased a huge plot of land, and has essentially built a humongous studio.

That's the extent of my awareness of the Chinese movie industry.
Yes, Jet Li and some other actors are entertaining. They created a Chinese version of Hollywood (Hengdian World Studios) out in the sticks for their period dramas, which are many. Although some of the older ones are well-done, many more recent ones are drivel: it is clear they are made just to make money, and there is no other point to them. When the storylines become perverse they are not worth watching. In real life some of the actors and actresses are quite as degnerate as their American and European counterparts. The standard of censorship applied also seems to be slipping from yesteryear with ever more sexualized content tolerated, although nothing like that tolerated in the West. I think they are beginning to run out of new subjects to make dramas about, so you see the same themes constantly being regurgitated and rehashed.

Last edited:
While channel surfing last night I saw that Skylink TV is airing Wonderful Life (2018). It looks like an ok daily (read slow paced) that is probably streaming somewhere.

Back