Why is the Mormon Stardard Works so racist ?

The difference is that, while there may have been Christians who were racists, Christianity didn't codify racism into its official doctrine. Mormonism did.
WE have no doctrine you can point to... where exactly can you find it.... you can't so after calling you out we shall see if you can respond..
Brigham Young is not doctrine by the way... chuckle.

The 1961 Book of Mormon wasn't published by Brigham Young.

Jane Elizabeth Manning James (1822 – April 16, 1908),[1][2] fondly known as "Aunt Jane",[3][4] was an early African-American member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS Church) and traveled to Utah as a pioneer. She lived with Joseph Smith and his family for a time in Nauvoo, Illinois.[5] She traveled with her family to Utah, spending the winter of 1846–1847 at Winter Quarters, and was among the first of the pioneers to enter the Salt Lake Valley in 1847.[6] As a black woman, James was not allowed to enter the temple during her lifetime and petitioned the First Presidency of the church multiple times to be endowed and sealed. As a result of her requests she was adopted as a servant into the family of Joseph Smith through a specially-created temple ceremony. She was posthumously endowed by proxy in the Salt Lake Temple in 1979.[7]
wikipedia.org

NOTE to poster--in future, please take out all but 2 links in a post. Only super members may post more than 2 links. Thank you.
And then the rest of the story Janice left out, chuckle.

Once in Nauvoo, Jane quickly developed a friendship with Joseph and Emma Smith. She lived with them and worked in their household. At one point, Emma invited Jane to be adopted as a child into the Smith family by a priesthood sealing.2 Jane declined, misunderstanding the unfamiliar, new practice, but she firmly believed in Joseph’s prophetic role. “I did know the Prophet Joseph,” she later testified. “He was the finest man I ever saw on earth. … I was certain he was a prophet because I knew it.”3

Through conversations with Joseph and with his mother, Lucy Mack Smith, Jane learned more about the Book of Mormon and its translation and gained an understanding of and a respect for temple ordinances.

Nothing left wing about Elijah. You are making an evil slur. The Book of Mormon fiction was very racist. Some of my ancestors were Quakers who wanted the slaves to be free.
Well you have'nt copied and pasted one verse yet that you can call racist...

Last edited:
And then the rest of the story Janice left out, chuckle.

Once in Nauvoo, Jane quickly developed a friendship with Joseph and Emma Smith. She lived with them and worked in their household. At one point, Emma invited Jane to be adopted as a child into the Smith family by a priesthood sealing.2 Jane declined, misunderstanding the unfamiliar, new practice, but she firmly believed in Joseph’s prophetic role. “I did know the Prophet Joseph,” she later testified. “He was the finest man I ever saw on earth. … I was certain he was a prophet because I knew it.”3

Through conversations with Joseph and with his mother, Lucy Mack Smith, Jane learned more about the Book of Mormon and its translation and gained an understanding of and a respect for temple ordinances.
Nevertheless she wasn't permitted in the temple.

An intriguing feature of the Old Testament, or Hebrew Bible, is the divine council, a body of celestial beings who meet with God in divine deliberations.

This idea is connected to the Hebrew term "sod," which means "a confidential discussion, a secret or plan, a circle of confidants, or council."

Nearly all scholars now agree that, when used in relationship to God, "sod" refers to the heavenly divine council, which human prophets may sometimes visit to learn divine secrets. The celestial members of this council are variously called the "host of heaven" (1 Kings 22:19), "gods" or "sons of God" (Psalm 82:1, 6), or "Holy Ones."
Name these "scholars" and their church affiliations.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well you have'nt copied and pasted one verse yet that you can call racist...
Perhaps you missed Elijah the Tishbite's post. #42.

Here it is:

1 Nephi 11:13 (Mary) “… she was exceedingly fair and white.”

1 Nephi 12:23 (Prophecy of Lamanites after Christ) “…became a dark, and loathsome, and a filthy people, full of idleness and all manner of abominations.”

1 Nephi 13:15 (Gentiles) “…they were white, and exceedingly fair and beautiful, like unto my people before they were slain.”

2 Nephi 5:21 “…a sore cursing… as they were white, and exceedingly fair and delightsome, that they might not be enticing unto my people the Lord God did cause a skin of blackness to come upon them.”

2 Nephi 30:6 (Prophecy to Lamanites) “… scales of darkness shall begin to fall… they shall be a white and delightsome people.” (Changed to pure and delightsome in 1981)

Jacob 3:5 (Lamanites cursed) “…whom ye hate because of their filthiness and the cursing which hath come upon their skins…”

Jacob 3:8-9 “…their skins will be whiter than yours… revile no
more against them because of the darkness of their skins …

Alma 3:6 “…skins of the Lamanites were dark, according to the mark which was set upon their fathers, which was a curse upon them because of their transgression and their rebellion…”

Alma 3:8 (Cursed) “…that their seed might be distinguished from the seed of their brethren… that they might not mix…”

Alma 3:9″…whosoever did mingle his seed with that of the Lamanites did bring the same curse upon his seed.”

Alma 3:14 (Lamanites cursed) “… set a mark on them that they and their seed may be separated from thee and thy seed…”

Alma 23:18 “…did open a correspondence with them (Nephites) and the curse of God did no more follow them.”

3 Nephi 2:14-16 “…Lamanites who had united with the Nephites were numbered among the Nephites; And their curse was taken from them, and their skin became white like unto the Nephites… became exceedingly fair…”

3 Nephi 19:25, 30 (Disciples) “… they were as white as the countenance and also the garments of Jesus; and behold the whiteness thereof did exceed all the whiteness… nothing upon earth so white as the whiteness thereof… they were white, even as Jesus.

Mormon 5:15 (Prophecy about Lamanites) “…shall become a dark, a filthy, and a loathsome people, beyond the description of that which ever hath been amongst us…”

Mormon 9:6. "O then ye unbelieving, turn ye unto the Lord; cry mightily unto
the Father in the name of Jesus, that perhaps ye may be found spotless, pure, fair, and white, having
been cleansed by the blood of the Lamb, at that great and last day."

Pearl of Great Price Moses 7:8 “…a blackness came upon all the children of Canaan…

Moses 7:12 “…Enoch continued to call upon all the people, save it were (except) the people of Canaan, to repent…”

Moses 7:22 “…for the seed of Cain were black and had not place among them.”

Abraham 1:21 “…king of Egypt (Pharaoh) was a descendant from the loins of Ham, and was a partaker of the blood of the Canaanites by birth.”

Abraham 1:27 “…Pharaoh being of that lineage by which he could not have the right of Priesthood…”

The Present Status of the Lamanites
"The dark skin was placed upon thee Lamanites so that they could be distinguished from the nephites and to keep the two peoples from mixing. The dark skin was the sign of the curse....Perhaps there are some Lamanites today who are losing the dark pigment. Many of the members of the Church among the Catawba Indians of the South could readily pass as of the white race; also in other parts of the South."
Answers to Gospel Questions Vol. 3 pp 122-123 Joseph Fielding Smith

"The day of the Lamanites in nigh. For years they have been growing delightsome... The children in the home placement program in Utah are often lighter than their brothers and sisters in the hogans on the reservation...There was the doctor in a Utah city who for two years had had an Indian boy in his home who stated that he was some shades lighter than the younger brother just coming into the program from the reservation. These young members of the Church are changing to whiteness and to delightsomeness."

- Spencer W. Kimball; The Improvement Era, Dec. 1960, p. 923

Racist as the day is long.

Perhaps you missed Elijah the Tishbite's post. #42.

Here it is:

1 Nephi 11:13 (Mary) “… she was exceedingly fair and white.”
Chuckle, that would be what the far left would say, racist... and then censor the whole book and make it impossible to buy or give away...

1 Nephi 12:23 (Prophecy of Lamanites after Christ) “…became a dark, and loathsome, and a filthy people, full of idleness and all manner of abominations.”
I didn't write it but I believe it... history written by a real person...

1 Nephi 13:15 (Gentiles) “…they were white, and exceedingly fair and beautiful, like unto my people before they were slain.”

2 Nephi 5:21 “…a sore cursing… as they were white, and exceedingly fair and delightsome, that they might not be enticing unto my people the Lord God did cause a skin of blackness to come upon them.”

2 Nephi 30:6 (Prophecy to Lamanites) “… scales of darkness shall begin to fall… they shall be a white and delightsome people.” (Changed to pure and delightsome in 1981)

Jacob 3:5 (Lamanites cursed) “…whom ye hate because of their filthiness and the cursing which hath come upon their skins…”

Jacob 3:8-9 “…their skins will be whiter than yours… revile no
more against them because of the darkness of their skins …

Alma 3:6 “…skins of the Lamanites were dark, according to the mark which was set upon their fathers, which was a curse upon them because of their transgression and their rebellion…”

Alma 3:8 (Cursed) “…that their seed might be distinguished from the seed of their brethren… that they might not mix…”

Alma 3:9″…whosoever did mingle his seed with that of the Lamanites did bring the same curse upon his seed.”

Alma 3:14 (Lamanites cursed) “… set a mark on them that they and their seed may be separated from thee and thy seed…”

Alma 23:18 “…did open a correspondence with them (Nephites) and the curse of God did no more follow them.”

3 Nephi 2:14-16 “…Lamanites who had united with the Nephites were numbered among the Nephites; And their curse was taken from them, and their skin became white like unto the Nephites… became exceedingly fair…”

3 Nephi 19:25, 30 (Disciples) “… they were as white as the countenance and also the garments of Jesus; and behold the whiteness thereof did exceed all the whiteness… nothing upon earth so white as the whiteness thereof… they were white, even as Jesus.

Mormon 5:15 (Prophecy about Lamanites) “…shall become a dark, a filthy, and a loathsome people, beyond the description of that which ever hath been amongst us…”

Mormon 9:6. "O then ye unbelieving, turn ye unto the Lord; cry mightily unto
the Father in the name of Jesus, that perhaps ye may be found spotless, pure, fair, and white, having
been cleansed by the blood of the Lamb, at that great and last day."

Pearl of Great Price Moses 7:8 “…a blackness came upon all the children of Canaan…

Moses 7:12 “…Enoch continued to call upon all the people, save it were (except) the people of Canaan, to repent…”

Moses 7:22 “…for the seed of Cain were black and had not place among them.”

Abraham 1:21 “…king of Egypt (Pharaoh) was a descendant from the loins of Ham, and was a partaker of the blood of the Canaanites by birth.”

Abraham 1:27 “…Pharaoh being of that lineage by which he could not have the right of Priesthood…”

The Present Status of the Lamanites
"The dark skin was placed upon thee Lamanites so that they could be distinguished from the nephites and to keep the two peoples from mixing. The dark skin was the sign of the curse....Perhaps there are some Lamanites today who are losing the dark pigment. Many of the members of the Church among the Catawba Indians of the South could readily pass as of the white race; also in other parts of the South."
Answers to Gospel Questions Vol. 3 pp 122-123 Joseph Fielding Smith

"The day of the Lamanites in nigh. For years they have been growing delightsome... The children in the home placement program in Utah are often lighter than their brothers and sisters in the hogans on the reservation...There was the doctor in a Utah city who for two years had had an Indian boy in his home who stated that he was some shades lighter than the younger brother just coming into the program from the reservation. These young members of the Church are changing to whiteness and to delightsomeness."

- Spencer W. Kimball; The Improvement Era, Dec. 1960, p. 923

Racist as the day is long.
Okay, now tell me how any of this written hundreds of years ago is racist...

Racism began as a reference to personal prejudice, but in the 1960s was extended via metaphor to society, the idea being that a society riven with disparities according to race was itself a racist one. This convention, implying that something as abstract as a society can be racist, has always felt tricky, best communicated in sociology classes or careful discussions.

The Atlantic.

Book of Mormon (copyright 1961)

1 Nephi 11:13 (Mary) “… and in the city of Nazareth I beheld a virgin, and she was exceedingly fair and white.”

1 Nephi 12:23 (Prophecy of Lamanites after Christ) “And it came to pass that I beheld, after they had dwindled in unbelierf they became a dark, and loathsome, and a filthy people, full of idleness and all manner of abominations.”

1 Nephi 13:15 (Gentiles) "And I beheld the Spirit of the Lord, that it was upon the Gentiles, and they did proper and obtain the land for their inheritance; and I beheld that they were white, and exceedingly fair and beautiful, like unto my people before they were slain.”

2 Nephi 5
20 Wherefore, the word of the Lord was fulfilled which he spake unto me, saying that: Inasmuch as they will not hearken unto thy words they shall be cut off from the presence of the Lord. And behold they were cut off from his presence.

21 And he had caused the cursing to come upon them, yea, even a sore cursing, because if their iniquity. For behold, they had hardened their hearts against him, that they had become like unto a flint; wherefore, as they were white and exceeding fair and delightsome, that they might not be enticing unto my people the Lord God did cause a skin of blackness to come upon them.

22 And thus saith the Lord God: I will cause that they shall be loathsome unto thy people, save they shall repent of their iniquities

23 And cursed shall be the seed of him that mixeth with their seed; for they shall be cursed with the same cursing. And the Lord spake it, and it was done.

There is no racism in the Book of Mormon, racism was not a word used hundreds of years ago, they wrote what they saw or experienced as a truth.
Show me the scripture written prior to the Book of Mormon that teaches racism.

Then along came the Bible Thumpers and Mormon haters who quickly picked up the word which is overly used today and applied it to a non racist book as if we would cringe and cry.... the problem is the Book of Mormon is true and the only thing you can come up with is racism... chuckle.
Prove to me that even one person here hates Mormons. I hope Christians are praying for you.

Chuckle, that would be what the far left would say, racist... and then censor the whole book and make it impossible to buy or give away...

I didn't write it but I believe it... history written by a real person...

Okay, now tell me how any of this written hundreds of years ago is racist...

Racism began as a reference to personal prejudice, but in the 1960s was extended via metaphor to society, the idea being that a society riven with disparities according to race was itself a racist one. This convention, implying that something as abstract as a society can be racist, has always felt tricky, best communicated in sociology classes or careful discussions.

The Atlantic.
It is racist and has been. Your church believes it, right. Your scriptures?

It is racist and has been. Your church believes it, right. Your scriptures?
Yes we believe the Book of Mormon a true history of those who lived on the American continent.. The wrote what they experience, saw and then wrote down... they were not racist, you haven't ever read-it fully and you only fault out of context sentences without understanding the culture and wars and difficulties of that time era...

They don't teach it now and issued a new revised BoM in 1981.
Chuckle, what did they change Janice, you act as if all those sentences were taken out and changed.... you don't even know what you're talking about and just make it up as you go... hmm

Chuckle, what did they change Janice, you act as if all those sentences were taken out and changed.... you don't even know what you're talking about and just make it up as you go... hmm
That's just plain disgusting! Those filthy racist verses are still there and bigots excuse them!

Last edited:
WE have no doctrine you can point to... where exactly can you find it.... you can't so after calling you out we shall see if you can respond..
Brigham Young is not doctrine by the way... chuckle.
Actually, in 1949, the First Presidency, including future LDS President David O. McKay, issued an official statement affirming that the exclusion of blacks from the priesthood was not “a policy” but a “direct commandment” from God based on doctrine taught since the beginning of the LDS Church.

So, it looks like it's your word against theirs.

Last edited:
Yes we believe the Book of Mormon a true history of those who lived on the American continent.. The wrote what they experience, saw and then wrote down... they were not racist, you haven't ever read-it fully and you only fault out of context sentences without understanding the culture and wars and difficulties of that time era...
You suffer from cognitive dissonance.

That's just plain disgusting! Those filthy racist verses are still there and bigots excuse them!
No, you said the latest book of mormon made changes as maybe referring to racist Scripture, I asked where and for you to show those changes.
You failed so your remarks of course can only be assumed as opinions...

Back