Why Luther rejected James- it refuted his faith alone doctrine

The word "Lutheran" says "I am of Luther." That's the point of the word "Lutheran."

Why pretend otherwise?
I did not name my church, and neither did Luther, but it got named after him, anyway. I would actually prefer something else.

However, Luther was famous for the 4 Solas and basing doctrine on what the Bible says, and not on human traditions. He was also famous for focusing so much on Scripture and Jesus Christ and the Gospel. So we do so in our church services.

But just having Jesus' Name or "Christian" in a church body's name is no guarantee it is a true Church and teaches the true Gospel. Look at Christian Science...Christian Theosophy....the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Day Saints...none is remotely Christian.

I did not name my church, and neither did Luther, but it got named after him, anyway. I would actually prefer something else.

Well that's progress.

You don't see many Lutherans complaining about it though do you?

Paul thought the whole notion was utterly insane.

However, Luther was famous for the 4 Solas and basing doctrine on what the Bible says, and not on human traditions. He was also famous for focusing so much on Scripture and Jesus Christ and the Gospel. So we do so in our church services.

Are you now arguing that you should wear Luther's name as a banner because he was "famous"?

Do tell.

But just having Jesus' Name or "Christian" in a church body's name is no guarantee it is a true Church and teaches the true Gospel. Look at Christian Science...Christian Theosophy....the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Day Saints...none is remotely Christian.

Genuine believers don't do any of that either.

Two wrongs won't make you right.

Well that's progress.

You don't see many Lutherans complaining about it though do you?

Why should we? We worship only God in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Paul thought the whole notion was utterly insane.

Not insane, just foolish. But I don't go around saying "I am of Luther". But if someone asks me my faith, I say I am a Christian, and a member of the LCMS church. I am a Christian first, Lutheran second.
Are you now arguing that you should wear Luther's name as a banner because he was "famous"?

No, just that Luther was famous for the Reformation and teaching the 4 Solas, and especially for believing what the Bible says about salvation being the "gift of God" by grace through faith in Christ Jesus our Lord--nothing else. The Bible was of paramount importance to him--as it is to us. Our church services are steeped in it.
Do tell.

Genuine believers don't do any of that either.

Do what?
Two wrongs won't make you right.
But if you want to know what we believe, all you need do is go to my church's website and read the page where it talks about who we are and what we believe. Fortunately, God's word has the last word about this--not you.

Last edited:
Why should we? We worship only God in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Not insane, just foolish. But I don't go around saying "I am of Luther". But if someone asks me my faith, I say I am a Christian, and a member of the LCMS church. I am a Christian first, Lutheran second.

Paul didn't think anyone should be saying they were of Christ first and Paul second.

You seek to have the mind of Luther rather than the mind of Christ. Your posts also demonstrate this fact clearly.

No, just that Luther was famous for the Reformation and teaching the 4 Solas, and especially for believing what the Bible says about salvation being the "gift of God" by grace through faith in Christ Jesus our Lord--nothing else. The Bible was of paramount importance to him--as it is to us. Our church services are steeped in it.

Yeah all those other denominations don't care about the Bible. You of Luther are much better

Do what?

But if you want to know what we believe, all you need do is go to my church's website and read the page where it talks about who we are and what we believe. Fortunately, God's word has the last word about this--not you.

I know what you believe. I was raised Lutheran and I have told you this before.

Luther totally botched it. But since you are of Luther rather than Christ, you won't care.

Paul didn't think anyone should be saying they were of Christ first and Paul second.

And neither do we. We don't say "I am of Martin Luther."
You seek to have the mind of Luther rather than the mind of Christ. Your posts also demonstrate this fact clearly.

False accusation, which is a sin, isn't it? Luther was all about Scripture and his beliefs are based upon what is in Scripture. He certainly set an example for us to believe the Scriptures, as did Paul and Peter and all the other NT writers. But It is to the Jesus Christ of the Bible we look for salvation, not to Luther, or Zwingli, or Calvin, etc. and etc.
Yeah all those other denominations don't care about the Bible. You of Luther are much better

I never said that or thought that, so please do not accuse me falsely, which is a sin. The last time I checked, we are saved by grace through faith in Christ Jesus our Lord, not by being Lutheran, Baptist, Methodist, Presbyterian, etc. Jesus is the savior--not membership in a denomination.

Which synod? So, if you truly know what we believe, then tell me--WHO does the Lutheran church teach is the Savior of the world?
Luther totally botched it.

How?
But since you are of Luther rather than Christ, you won't care.
No, I am of Christ Jesus and what the Bible teaches about Him and eternal life. Once again, you accuse me falsely. You are getting quite the record here of doing so, OLG.....sad.

Last edited:
And neither do we. We don't say "I am of Martin Luther."

The sign "Lutheran" on your church does indeed say that.

False accusation, which is a sin, isn't it?

I'm afraid not. The evidence is all over your posts yet now you beg us to pretend otherwise.

Luther was all about Scripture

Luther was all about his own interpretations of Scripture.
Genuine believers are all about Christ.

Luther never knew the difference. You don't seem to know either.

and his beliefs are based upon what is in Scripture. He certainly set an example for us

There ya go right there. You follow Luther rather than Christ.

to believe the Scriptures, as did Paul and Peter and all the other NT writers. But It is to the Jesus Christ of the Bible we look for salvation, not to Luther, or Zwingli, or Calvin, etc. and etc.

No that's not what Paul was about. He spent four chapters in 1 Corinthians explaining that. How did you miss it?

I never said that or thought that, so please do not accuse me falsely, which is a sin. The last time I checked, we are saved by grace through faith in Christ Jesus our Lord, not by being Lutheran, Baptist, Methodist, Presbyterian, etc. Jesus is the savior--not membership in a denomination.

Which synod? So, if you truly know what we believe, then tell me--WHO does the Lutheran church teach is the Savior of the world?

Now you need to play these games? This is sickening.

How?

No, I am of Christ Jesus

Self identifying won't help.

and what the Bible teaches about Him and eternal life. Once again, you accuse me falsely. You are getting quite the record here of doing so, OLG.....sad.

You don't seem to be able to distinguish your fantasies from reality. Is that what your "faith" is all about?

Luther was all about his own interpretations of Scripture.
Genuine believers are all about Christ.
A person in a cult with a false Jesus, false Jehovah, and false God isn't a genuine believer in the true Christ, true Jehovah, and true God.

Head on over to your local WELS, ELS, LCMS or another Evangelical conservative confessional church and you will find a pastor who knows the gospel of Jesus Christ, is trained in the Biblical languages, and who will proclaim the good news to you.

The adult information classes are freely given and without compulsory obligation on the part of attendees.

The first statement is demonstrably false by the statement you made below which denies the chief article.
Luther totally botched it. But since you are of Luther rather than Christ, you won't care.
The chief article:

Article I - First and Chief Article

1 That Jesus Christ, our God and Lord, died for our sins, and was raised again for our justification, Rom. 4:25.

2 And He alone is the Lamb of God which taketh away the sins of the world, John 1:29; and God has laid upon Him the iniquities of us all, Is. 53:6

3 Likewise: All have sinned and are justified without merit [ freely, and without their own works or merits] by His grace, through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus, in His blood, Rom. 3:23f

4 Now, since it is necessary to believe this, and it cannot be otherwise acquired or apprehended by any work, law, or merit, it is clear and certain that this faith alone justifies us as St. Paul says, Rom. 3:28: For we conclude that a man is justified by faith, without the deeds of the Law. Likewise 3:26: That He might be just, and the Justifier of him which believeth in Christ.

5 Of this article nothing can be yielded or surrendered [nor can anything be granted or permitted contrary to the same], even though heaven and earth, and whatever will not abide, should sink to ruin. For there is none other name under heaven, given among men whereby we must be saved, says Peter, Acts 4:12. And with His stripes we are healed, Is. 53:5. And upon this article all things depend which we teach and practice in opposition to the Pope, the devil, and the [whole] world. Therefore, we must be sure concerning this doctrine, and not doubt; for otherwise all is lost, and the Pope and devil and all things gain the victory and suit over us. (Source: https://bookofconcord.org/smalcald
-articles/ii/first-and-chief-article/ )

A person in a cult with a false Jesus, false Jehovah, and false God isn't a genuine believer in the true Christ, true Jehovah, and true God.

Head on over to your local WELS, ELS, LCMS or another Evangelical conservative confessional church and you will find a pastor who knows the gospel of Jesus Christ, is trained in the Biblical languages, and who will proclaim the good news to you.

The adult information classes are freely given and without compulsory obligation on the part of attendees.
This is most certainly true. :)

Back