Why Momons object to LDS having a Personal Relationship with Jesus

The Prophet

Our Relationship with the Lord

BRUCE R. MCCONKIE

Now, it is no secret that many false and vain and foolish things are being taught in the sectarian world and even among us about our need to gain a special relationship with the Lord Jesus. I shall summarize the true doctrine in this field and invite erring teachers and beguiled students to repent and believe the accepted gospel verities as I shall set them forth.

We worship the Father and him only and no one else. We do not worship the Son, and we do not worship the Holy Ghost.
I know perfectly well what the scriptures say about worshipping Christ and Jehovah, but they are speaking in an entirely different sense--the sense of standing in awe and being reverentially grateful to him who has redeemed us.

https://speeches.byu.edu/talks/bruce-r-mcconkie_relationship-lord/

The Prophet

Since Mormon leaders are a confused bunch here's what Bruce R McConkie said in Mormon Doctrine

Plurality of Gods

See ADAM-GOD THEORY, CHRIST, FALSE GODS, FATHER IN HEAVEN, GODHEAD, GODHOOD, HOLY GHOST, POLYTHEISM. Three separate personages — Father, Son, and Holy Ghost — comprise the Godhead. As each of these persons is a God, it is evident, from this standpoint alone, that a plurality of Gods exists. To us, speaking in the proper finite sense, these three are the only Gods we worship. But in addition there is an infinite number of holy personages, drawn from worlds without number, who have passed on to exaltation and are thus gods.

Bonnie

"Inconsistency is the tiny hobgoblin haunting every cult." (John t) Only in Mormonism, it is more like a giant one!

organgrinder

Since Mormon leaders are a confused bunch here's what Bruce R McConkie said in Mormon Doctrine

Plurality of Gods

See ADAM-GOD THEORY, CHRIST, FALSE GODS, FATHER IN HEAVEN, GODHEAD, GODHOOD, HOLY GHOST, POLYTHEISM. Three separate personages — Father, Son, and Holy Ghost — comprise the Godhead.
As each of these persons is a God, it is evident, from this standpoint alone, that a plurality of Gods exists. To us, speaking in the proper finite sense, these three are the only Gods we worship. But in addition there is an infinite number of holy personages, drawn from worlds without number, who have passed on to exaltation and are thus gods.
Unfortunately they threw McConkie under the bus despite his book being used for years by the faithful.

Bonnie

Unfortunately they threw McConkie under the bus despite his book being used for years by the faithful.
I think it was revised.

organgrinder

I think it was revised.

and they still threw him under the bus. This was used by missionaries, etc. for many years. My Mormon landlord in the mid-70s referred to this. It contained what they believed much the same as a Roman Catholic catechism. It was the "go to" to get quick answers. And now it is considered embarrassing because of the doctrines it contains.

Bonnie

and they still threw him under the bus. This was used by missionaries, etc. for many years. My Mormon landlord in the mid-70s referred to this. It contained what they believed much the same as a Roman Catholic catechism. It was the "go to" to get quick answers. And now it is considered embarrassing because of the doctrines it contains.
I know. Sad, isn't it? Mormons should ask themselves: WHY do I find such doctrines--like Jesus and Satan being brothers; men can evolve into gods; etc.--so....disturbing?

Last edited:

organgrinder

Makes one wonder...what IS official in the LDS church?
Whatever is convenient at the time. Lots of prophetic messages and teachings now are considered flawed. Why even have a "modern day prophet" if you don't listen and obey them. Smorgasbord Mormons pick and choose. and supposedly by listening to the "Holy Ghost" which can give each Mormon a different answer on what their "prophet" says is true or not. What a church!

The Prophet

Notice that Bruce R McConkie doesn't use the name Jesus even once in his song "I believe in Christ" since he taught we shouldn't have a Personal Relation ship with Jesus and just uses his title Christ
  1. 1. I believe in Christ; he is my King!
    With all my heart to him I’ll sing;
    I’ll raise my voice in praise and joy,
    In grand amens my tongue employ.
    I believe in Christ; he is God’s Son.
    On earth to dwell his soul did come.
    He healed the sick; the dead he raised.
    Good works were his; his name be praised.
  2. 2. I believe in Christ; oh blessed name!
    As Mary’s Son he came to reign
    ’Mid mortal men, his earthly kin,
    To save them from the woes of sin.
    I believe in Christ, who marked the path,
    Who did gain all his Father hath,
    Who said to men: “Come, follow me,
    That ye, my friends, with God may be.”
  3. 3. I believe in Christ—my Lord, my God!
    My feet he plants on gospel sod.
    I’ll worship him with all my might;
    He is the source of truth and light.
    I believe in Christ; he ransoms me.
    From Satan’s grasp he sets me free,
    And I shall live with joy and love
    In his eternal courts above.
  4. 4. I believe in Christ; he stands supreme!
    From him I’ll gain my fondest dream;
    And while I strive through grief and pain,
    His voice is heard: “Ye shall obtain.”
    I believe in Christ; so come what may,
    With him I’ll stand in that great day
    When on this earth he comes again
    To rule among the sons of men.
Text: Bruce R. McConkie, 1915–1985. © 1972 IRI

The Prophet