Why Momons object to LDS having a Personal Relationship with Jesus

Bonnie

I just did a search on the LDS website of the term "Jesus" in their magazines ("Ensign", "Liahona", "Friend"), and the various authors of the articles use the name "Jesus" all the time. So that's just weird.

But since Mormons in the forums go out of their way to try to attack ANYTHING related to mainstream Christianity (including "personal relationship"), maybe it's not so weird.

Okay.. A little more searching, and I found this:

"Recently in South America, a seasoned group of outstanding missionaries was asked, “What is the greatest need in the world?” One wisely responded: “Is not the greatest need in all of the world for every person to have a personal, ongoing, daily, continuing relationship with the Savior?” Having such a relationship can unchain the divinity within us, and nothing can make a greater difference in our lives as we come to know and understand our divine relationship with God."
[...]
"Fourth: A daily acknowledgment of His divinity. T
o have a daily, personal relationship with the Master, we must be His disciples. “For how knoweth a man the master whom he has not served, and who is a stranger unto him, and is far from the thoughts and intents of his heart?” (Mosiah 5:13.)"
[...]
"It is my testimony that we are facing difficult times. We must be courageously obedient. My witness is that we will be called upon to prove our spiritual stamina, for the days ahead will be filled with affliction and difficulty.
But with the assuring comfort of a personal relationship with the Savior, we will be given a calming courage. From the Divine so near we will receive the quiet assurance:"
-- Elder James E. Faust, Of the First Council of the Seventy, "A Personal Relationship with the Savior", Ensign, Nov. 1976.

There are other articles as well. I don't doubt that the article you spoke of exists as well, which simply demonstrates the contradictory nature of Mormonism, and lack of systematic theology and thought.
Prophet is correct--none of these says "Jesus". Just Savior and Master. However, to be fair, I did see "Jesus Christ" mentioned in a few lds.org articles that perused. But "Christ" and "Savior" appear to be more common.

Mesenja

Since Mormon leaders are a confused bunch here's what Bruce R McConkie said in Mormon Doctrine

Plurality of Gods

See ADAM-GOD THEORY, CHRIST, FALSE GODS, FATHER IN HEAVEN, GODHEAD, GODHOOD, HOLY GHOST, POLYTHEISM. Three separate personages — Father, Son, and Holy Ghost — comprise the Godhead.
As each of these persons is a God, it is evident, from this standpoint alone, that a plurality of Gods exists. To us, speaking in the proper finite sense, these three are the only Gods we worship. But in addition there is an infinite number of holy personages, drawn from worlds without number, who have passed on to exaltation and are thus

Since Mormon leaders are a confused bunch here's what Bruce R McConkie said in Mormon Doctrine

Plurality of Gods

See ADAM-GOD THEORY, CHRIST, FALSE GODS, FATHER IN HEAVEN, GODHEAD, GODHOOD, HOLY GHOST, POLYTHEISM. Three separate personages — Father, Son, and Holy Ghost — comprise the Godhead.
As each of these persons is a God, it is evident, from this standpoint alone, that a plurality of Gods exists. To us, speaking in the proper finite sense, these three are the only Gods we worship. But in addition there is an infinite number of holy personages, drawn from worlds without number, who have passed on to exaltation and are thus gods.
“The doctrine [of the Church] is taught by all 15 members of the First Presidency and Quorum of the Twelve. It is not hidden in an obscure paragraph of one talk. True principles are taught frequently and by many. Our doctrine is not difficult to find” (Oct. 2012 general conference).

The Prophet

Here's a cool General Conference talk :)

D8vZClj.jpg

The Prophet

I know. Sad, isn't it? Mormons should ask themselves: WHY do I find such doctrines--like Jesus and Satan being brothers; men can evolve into gods; etc.--so....disturbing?
The Book of Mormon condemns the idea Jesus and Satan are brothers and Jesus evolved into a God