Why Mormons Reject The Biblical Triune God

RCM

Here is the Biblical Doctrine of the Trinity,

The word "Trinity" comes from the Latin noun "trinitas" meaning "three are one." It was first introduced by Tertullian at the end of the 2nd century but received wide acceptance in the 4th and 5th centuries.

The Doctrine of the Trinity expresses what is taught in Biblical Scripture, (Exodus 3:14; Isaiah 9:6; Isaiah 43:10; Matthew 1:23; John 1:1; John 8:58; John 14; Acts 5:1-4; and etc.) that God is defined as three distinct persons who exist as one God, they are co-equal in essence and co-eternal in communion and co-existent eternally from the beginning, they are God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit! (Oneness but not sameness, unity and diversity, and order of authority)

Definition of 'Essence,' "the intrinsic nature or indispensable quality of something, especially something abstract, that determines its character"

The Triune Nature of God is what the Bible clearly states; you cannot take the following Scriptures with the Hebrew/Greek definite articles and the Hebrew/Greek personal pronouns, and arrive at a LDS/Mormon theology of God, you simply cannot!

Exodus 3:14; Deuteronomy 6:4; Isaiah 9:6; Isaiah 43:10; Matthew 1:23; John 1:1; John 8:58; John 14; Acts 5:1-4; and etc.

Father, Son, and Holy Spirit - three persons - 'One God'

Why do mormons reject the Biblical Triune Nature of God?

They have to or their whole house of cards comes crashing to the floor!

Jesus is just their elder brother, he is the same as they are, he is not something other than they are. Jesus only had greater position and opportunity

The idea that Jesus could be 'Holy God,' something other, than what they are, is rejected by mormons,

Here is an example of what was taught in the LDS Temple, but has now been removed,

THE LONE AND DREARY WORLD: THE TELESTIAL KINGDOM

(Adam and Eve are shown full view for the first time. They are clad in animal skins which cover their bodies to their knees. The lone and dreary world is represented by desert scenery. Adam kneels at his stone altar, spreads his hands to heaven, and piously invokes the Lord.)

NARRATOR: We now go with Adam and Eve into the lone and dreary world. Brethren and sisters, this represents the Telestial kingdom, or the world in which we now live. Adam, on finding himself in the lone and dreary world, built an altar and offered prayer, and these are the words he uttered:

ADAM:: Oh God, hear the words of my mouth. Oh God, hear the words of my mouth. Oh God, hear the words of my mouth.

(As Adam prays, Lucifer approaches from behind out of the shadows.)

LUCIFER:: I hear you; what is it you want?

(Although Adam has already encountered Lucifer in the Garden of Eden, he fails to recognize him at this appearance.)

ADAM:: Who are you?

LUCIFER:: I am the God of this world.

ADAM:: You, the God of this world? LUCIFER:: Yes, what do you want? ADAM:: I am looking for messengers.

LUCIFER:: Oh, you want someone to preach to you. You want religion, do you? I will have preachers here presently. There will be many willing to preach to you the philosophies of men mingled with scripture.

(Lucifer turns his head as a sectarian minister approaches.)

LUCIFER:: Good Morning sir!

SECTARIAN MINISTER: Good morning!

(The preacher turns and looks into the camera.)

SECTARIAN MINISTER: A fine congregation!

LUCIFER:: Yes, they are a very good people. They are concerned about religion. Are you a preacher?

SECTARIAN MINISTER: I am!

LUCIFER:: Have you been to college and received training for the ministry?

SECTARIAN MINISTER: Certainly! A man cannot preach unless has been trained for the ministry.

LUCIFER:: Do you preach the orthodox religion?

SECTARIAN MINISTER: Yes, that is what I preach.

LUCIFER:: If you will preach your orthodox religion to these people, and convert them, I will pay you well.

SECTARIAN MINISTER: I will do my best.

(Lucifer guides the preacher to Adam and Eve, who stand nearby.)

LUCIFER:: Here is a man who desires religion. He is very much exercised, and seems to be sincere.

(As Lucifer presents the preacher to Adam and Eve he steps back and observes the ensuing conversation. The preacher is made to sound sincere, although misguided and credulous. Adam appears humble, faithful and immovable in his determination to serve God. He is not swayed by the preacher, and is astounded by the doctrines espoused by the preacher.)

SECTARIAN MINISTER: I understand that you are inquiring after religion.

ADAM:: I was calling upon Father.

SECTARIAN MINISTER: I am glad to know that you were calling upon Father. Do you believe in a God who is without body, parts, or passions; who sits on the top of a topless throne; whose center is everywhere and whose circumference is nowhere; who fills the universe, and yet is so small that he can dwell in your heart; who is surrounded by myriads of beings who have been saved by grace, not for any act of theirs, but by His good pleasure. Do you believe in such a great Being?

ADAM:: I do not. I cannot comprehend such a being.

SECTARIAN MINISTER: That is the beauty of it. Perhaps you do not believe in a devil, and in that great hell, the bottomless pit, where there is a lake of fire and brimstone into which the wicked are cast, and where they are continually burning, but none never consumed?

ADAM:: I do not believe in any such place.

SECTARIAN MINISTER: My dear friend, I am sorry for you.

Mormons completely reject Jesus as the Biblical God presented in Psalm 139, a God who is all powerful, all knowing, and everywhere present at all times, yet dwells within the hearts of true Believers (John 14; Ephesians 3:17; Colossians 3:16; James 4:5; 2 Corinthians 6:16; 1 Corinthians 6:19-20; 2 Corinthians 13:5)

RCM

But Isaiah 43 is Jehovah speaking and the Mormons claim he is the god of the Old Testament, a god without a resurrected body. Furthermore their elder brother adopts them as his children according to Mormonism --- John 1:12.

The Ten Blessings of the Priesthood
October 1977 general conference
by Bruce R. McConkie

"There are in this greater priesthood(Melchizedek) five offices or callings—elder, seventy, high priest, patriarch, and apostle—yet the priesthood is the same; and the priesthood is greater than any of its offices. We are a kingdom of brethren, a congregation of equals, all of whom are entitled to receive all of the blessings of the priesthood. There are no blessings reserved for apostles that are not freely available to all the elders of the kingdom; blessings come because of obedience and personal righteousness, not because of administrative positions."

Selections from Answers to Gospel Questions
Taken from the writings of Joseph Fielding Smith
Tenth President of Mormonism
A course Study for the Melchizedek Priesthood Quorums
1972-73

Lesson 6 page 39

It was Jesus who gave commandments to Adam after he was driven out of the Garden of Eden and who directed Enoch and Noah before the flood. It was Christ who named Abraham and made him that through his posterity all nations would be blessed. He, it was who called Moses to lead Isreal out of Egypt and who wrote with his fingers on the tables of stone. He had no body until he was born in Bethlehem.

2 Nephi 31:

21 And now, behold, my beloved brethren, this is the way; and there is none other way nor name given under heaven whereby man can be saved in the kingdom of God. And now, behold, this is the doctrine of Christ, and the only and true doctrine of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost, which is one God, without end. Amen.

Alma 11:

44 Now, this restoration shall come to all, both old and young, both bond and free, both male and female, both the wicked and the righteous; and even there shall not so much as a hair of their heads be lost; but everything shall be restored to its perfect frame, as it is now, or in the body, and shall be brought and be arraigned before the bar of Christ the Son, and God the Father, and the Holy Spirit, which is one Eternal God, to be judged according to their works, whether they be good or whether they be evil.

Mormon 7:

7 And he hath brought to pass the redemption of the world, whereby he that is found guiltless before him at the judgment day hath it given unto him to dwell in the presence of God in his kingdom, to sing ceaseless praises with the choirs above, unto the Father, and unto the Son, and unto the Holy Ghost, which are one God, in a state of happiness which hath no end.

The Testimony of Three Witnesses

And the honor be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Ghost, which is one God. Amen.

Oliver Cowdery

David Whitmer

Martin Harris

1 Nephi 13: 41 And they must come according to the words which shall be established by the mouth of the Lamb; and the words of the Lamb shall be made known in the records of thy seed, as well as in the records of the twelve apostles of the Lamb; wherefore they both shall be established in one; for there is one God and one Shepherd over all the earth.

Doctrine and Covenants 20 :

28 Which Father, Son, and Holy Ghost are one God, infinite and eternal, without end. Amen.

1 John 5:7 For there are three that bear record in heaven: the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost; and these three are one. Joseph Smith translation

Moses 1:6

6 And I have a work for thee, Moses, my son; and thou art in the similitude of mine Only Begotten; and mine Only Begotten is and shall be the Savior, for he is full of grace and truth; but there is no God beside me, and all things are present with me, for I know them all.

COUNSEL GIVEN BY PRESIDENT CHARLES W. PENROSE

Now, some of our brethren have taken up quite a discussion as to the fulness of the everlasting gospel. We are told that the Book of Mormon contains the fulness of the gospel, that those who like to get up a dispute, say that the Book of Mormon does not contain any reference to the work of salvation for the dead and that there are many other things pertaining to the gospel that are not developed in that book, and yet we are told that the book contains "the fulness of the everlasting gospel." Well, what is the fulness of the gospel? You read carefully the revelation in regard to the three glories, Section 76, in the Doctrine and Covenants, and you find there defined what the gospel is. There God, the Eternal Father, and Jesus Christ, his Son, and the Holy Ghost, are held up as the three Persons in the Trinity—the one God, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost, all three being one God. When people believe in that doctrine and obey the ordinances which are spoken of in the same list of principles, you get the fulness of the gospel for this reason: If you really believe so as to have faith in our Eternal Father and in his Son, Jesus Christ, the Redeemer, and will hear him, you will learn ail about what is needed to be done for the salvation of the living and redemption of the dead.

. (General Conference Report, April 1922, pp. 27-28.)

The Ten Blessings of the Priesthood
October 1977 general conference
by Bruce R. McConkie

"There are in this greater priesthood(Melchizedek) five offices or callings—elder, seventy, high priest, patriarch, and apostle—yet the priesthood is the same; and the priesthood is greater than any of its offices. We are a kingdom of brethren, a congregation of equals, all of whom are entitled to receive all of the blessings of the priesthood. There are no blessings reserved for apostles that are not freely available to all the elders of the kingdom; blessings come because of obedience and personal righteousness, not because of administrative positions."

How is this relevant to the OP?

Here is the Biblical Doctrine of the Trinity,

The word "Trinity" comes from the Latin noun "trinitas" meaning "three are one." It was first introduced by Tertullian at the end of the 2nd century but received wide acceptance in the 4th and 5th centuries.

The Doctrine of the Trinity expresses what is taught in Biblical Scripture, (Exodus 3:14; Isaiah 9:6; Isaiah 43:10; Matthew 1:23; John 1:1; John 8:58; John 14; Acts 5:1-4; and etc.) that God is defined as three distinct persons who exist as one God, they are co-equal in essence and co-eternal in communion and co-existent eternally from the beginning, they are God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit! (Oneness but not sameness, unity and diversity, and order of authority)

Definition of 'Essence,' "the intrinsic nature or indispensable quality of something, especially something abstract, that determines its character"
The Triune Nature of God is what the Bible clearly states; you cannot take the following Scriptures with the Hebrew/Greek definite articles and the Hebrew/Greek personal pronouns, and arrive at a LDS/Mormon theology of God, you simply cannot!

Exodus 3:14; Deuteronomy 6:4; Isaiah 9:6; Isaiah 43:10; Matthew 1:23; John 1:1; John 8:58; John 14; Acts 5:1-4; and etc.

Father, Son, and Holy Spirit - three persons - 'One God'
This is the mormonism forum. The trinity can be discussed on the Trinity board.

Why do mormons reject the Biblical Triune Nature of God?

They have to or their whole house of cards comes crashing to the floor!

Jesus is just their elder brother, he is the same as they are, he is not something other than they are. Jesus only had greater position and opportunity

The idea that Jesus could be 'Holy God,' something other, than what they are, is rejected by mormons,

Here is an example of what was taught in the LDS Temple, but has now been removed,
I'm challenging a few point here:
God's Triune Nature: Must God be 'Triune' to be 'Holy'? There are many things that are 'holy', but not 'triune'.
Yet, ou seem to conflate that if we reject God's triunity, we must also reject his holiness.

Jesus as "Elder Brother" - Personally, I'm not a fan of characterizing Jesus this way. Yet, if we share the same Father to Jesus, and he is declared the Son of God, in that context, who is Jesus to us? Generally, those who share the same Father are called "brothers".

John 20:17 - Jesus saith unto her, Touch me not; for I am not yet ascended to my Father: but go to my brethren, and say unto them, I ascend unto my Father, and your Father; and to my God, and your God.
Can you explain what Jesus was saying here if Jesus is NOT our brother?

Jesus had greater position and opportunity - In mortality, did Jesus have greater position and opportunity than any other mortal man? Did being "the only begotten of the Father" give him a special advantage in mortalilty other than not being able to die unwillingly?
Mosiah 3:7 And lo, he shall suffer temptations, and pain of body, hunger, thirst, and fatigue, even more than man can suffer, except it be unto death; for behold, blood cometh from every pore, so great shall be his anguish for the wickedness and the abominations of his people.

Mormons completely reject Jesus as the Biblical God presented in Psalm 139, a God who is all powerful, all knowing, and everywhere present at all times, yet dwells within the hearts of true Believers (John 14; Ephesians 3:17; Colossians 3:16; James 4:5; 2 Corinthians 6:16; 1 Corinthians 6:19-20; 2 Corinthians 13:5)
Bubkis! This is based on a shallow, limited, definition, thinking that God has a physical body located next to Kolob - based on the clownery of anti-mormon rubbish!

D&C 76: 22 And now, after the many testimonies which have been given of him, this is the testimony, last of all, which we give of him: That he lives!
23 For we saw him, even on the right hand of God; and we heard the voice bearing record that he is the Only Begotten of the Father—
24 That by him, and through him, and of him, the worlds are and were created, and the inhabitants thereof are begotten sons and daughters unto God.

D&C 93:
1 Verily, thus saith the Lord: It shall come to pass that every soul who forsaketh his sins and cometh unto me, and calleth on my name, and obeyeth my voice, and keepeth my commandments, shall see my face and know that I am;
2 And that I am the true light that lighteth every man that cometh into the world;
3 And that I am in the Father, and the Father in me, and the Father and I are one

God is perfect. He is a God of righteousness, with attributes such as love, mercy, charity, truth, power, faith, knowledge, and judgment. He has all power. He knows all things. He is full of goodness. (Gospel Principles)

D&C 38:
1 Thus saith the Lord your God, even Jesus Christ, the Great I Am, Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, the same which looked upon the wide expanse of eternity, and all the seraphic hosts of heaven, before the world was made;
2 The same which knoweth all things, for all things are present before mine eyes;
3 I am the same which spake, and the world was made, and all things came by me.

D&C 130:22 ...the Holy Ghost has not a body of flesh and bones, but is a personage of Spirit. Were it not so, the Holy Ghost could not dwell in us.

2 Ne 32:
2 Do ye not remember that I said unto you that after ye had received the Holy Ghost ye could speak with the tongue of angels? And now, how could ye speak with the tongue of angels save it were by the Holy Ghost?
3 Angels speak by the power of the Holy Ghost; wherefore, they speak the words of Christ. Wherefore, I said unto you, feast upon the words of Christ; for behold, the words of Christ will tell you all things what ye should do.

I'm challenging a few points here:
God's Triune Nature: Must God be 'Triune' to be 'Holy'?

One God, Three Persons is what God has revealed Himself to be in the Biblical Scriptures

God must be Triune in order to be Biblical

God has also revealed Himself as being 'Holy'

There are many things that are 'holy', but not 'triune'.

I see this as a nonsensical borderline stupid statement

The Biblical God is the focal point of discussion and how the mormon god is completely unbiblical

Yet, ou seem to conflate that if we reject God's triunity, we must also reject his holiness.

If you reject the Triune nature of the Biblical God, then you have a false god and of course a false god is not holy

Jesus as "Elder Brother" - Personally, I'm not a fan of characterizing Jesus this way. Yet, if we share the same Father to Jesus, and he is declared the Son of God, in that context, who is Jesus to us? Generally, those who share the same Father are called "brothers".

John 20:17 - Jesus saith unto her, Touch me not; for I am not yet ascended to my Father: but go to my brethren, and say unto them, I ascend unto my Father, and your Father; and to my God, and your God.
Can you explain what Jesus was saying here if Jesus is NOT our brother?

Here is what I stated,

The idea that Jesus could be 'Holy God,' something other, than what they are, is rejected by mormons
(and I gave an example from you temple ceremony)

Mormons believe that everyone, Jesus included are spiritual offspring of the mormon heavenly father in the pre-existence, Jesus was just the Firstborn, so theologically, the mormon Jesus is not technically something other, than you are

Now, here is what the Bible teaches, and this is why Evangelical Christians are so critical of Joseph Smith and Mormonism in general, because we know Joseph Smith had no spiritual insight by the Holy Spirit based upon his theology of God and Jesus alone and how he interpreted the Bible!

God has always been Holy God, He has never been anything other - Exodus 3:14

Jesus has always been Holy God, He has never been anything other - John 1:1

God set forth in the Levitical law, the Law of Redemption, that if anyone, whatever the circumstances, found themselves in slavery, or had to sell themselves into slavery, and they were so destitute there was no way they could repay their debt, it was the responsibility of their near Kinsman to pay their debt in order to redeem them and free them from their debt - Leviticus 25

This is the whole story of the Book of Ruth

This is the whole story of all of mankind, because of Adam, all mankind are born sinners, and slaves to sin - Book of Romans

Now, with that background, look at,
Hebrews 2:14-15
14 Therefore, since the children share in flesh and blood, He Himself likewise also partook of the same, that through death He might render powerless him who had the power of death, that is, the devil,
15 and might free those who through fear of death were subject to slavery all their lives.

Jesus was Holy God, and He took upon Himself flesh and blood in order to be related to mankind (Levitical Law of Redemption) so He could redeem them from the bondage and slavery to sin, Jesus paid the sin debt that no one could pay!

Now, it is because Jesus took on flesh and blood in order to be related to humanity, that He can use the reference of brethren, to those who believe in Him,

Hebrews 2:9-13
9 But we do see Him who was made for a little while lower than the angels, namely, Jesus, because of the suffering of death crowned with glory and honor, so that by the grace of God He might taste death for everyone.
10 For it was fitting for Him, for whom are all things, and through whom are all things, in bringing many sons to glory, to perfect the author of their salvation through sufferings.
11 For both He who sanctifies and those who are sanctified are all from one Father; for which reason He is not ashamed to call them brethren,
12 saying, "I WILL PROCLAIM YOUR NAME to MY BRETHREN, IN THE MIDST of the CONGREGATION I WILL SING YOUR PRAISE."
13 And again, "I WILL PUT MY TRUST in HIM." And again, "BEHOLD, I AND THE CHILDREN whom GOD has given ME."

So, Jesus can refer to Believers as either sons, daughters (Mark 5:34), brethren, or children, in mormon theology this is impossible

Mormon beliefs about God the Father and Jesus are so far out in left field, they are not even close to being Biblical

Jesus had greater position and opportunity - In mortality, did Jesus have greater position and opportunity than any other mortal man? Did being "the only begotten of the Father" give him a special advantage in mortalilty other than not being able to die unwillingly?

This question can only be asked within the framework of mormon theology

This question is heresy in relation to the Biblical Theology of Jesus Christ and the Biblical Triune God

RCM

Back